Subject: Mixing expansion with base characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
I got into a big argument with another Shadow Hunters player who claimed that it was unbalancing to mix expansion characters with regular characters unless you use one of each letter. He claimed that he played in a game with two Ws against two Es and the Shadows demolished. So it was unbalancing to just pick shadows, hunters, and neutrals from one common pool.

I objected to his whole argument for a couple of reasons. First, if you are saying two Ws are uber powerful when compared to Two Es, then by definition, a game with a Vampire and Werewolf will beat the Hunters unless George is in play. Second, his argument also seems to imply there are game balance issues with the game itself and the characters not being relatively even in strength. And if that is true, then that's a problem with the game itself. And maybe you just don't play with those characters. For instance, I play with a group that thinks its too tough to win with Bob (I'm included in that), so we just don't play with Bob. David is pretty tough to win with too.

Now I guess I could buy the argument that you object to having two of the same letter if you want to deduce who the other shadows/hunters/neutrals are. But he never made that argument and frankly if you want the ability to deduce who is what, play the base game, so you can deduce who is which character. Because even if you mix rolls, you may not know someone is a V, but you won't know which V.

Ironically enough, me and another player offered a compromise of just using the base set to satisfy his concern of the unbalanced nature of just picking characters, but the guy was so headstrong on doing it his way, that he wanted to do the expansion, but not with one of each letter. So some of us just said the hell with it and the game fell through.

So just curious what others thought about mixing characters from the expansion with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is meant to be a bit of fast, furious fun. There's enough luck in the game to make discussions of fine balance moot.

I've always mixed in all the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use one of each letter. The game is not perfectly balanced, far from it, but mixing entirely randomly makes it swingier; a Wight/Werewolf team is definitely stronger than Unknown/UltraSoul. And yeah, the deduction aspect is a little stronger when there's only one of each.

We don't like Bob or David, either. Or is it Allie we don't use? Can't remember now. Been a while since we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.