Subject: Any improvement on component quality in later print runs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: MRP [+] [View All]
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded for this game lately, and despite the seller mentioned "played 3 times", the 1/4th of the board was literally ripped off, and the cards show at least medium wear.

Is this usual in this game to have such issues after so low number of plays?

If I get a new item from the store, will I get the same quality as with older copies?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my issue with the game was that cardboard components were brutally warped and no amount of pressure seemed to help. I might just leave the map and dock open under 100 pound of brick for a year and see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
my issue with the game was that cardboard components were brutally warped and no amount of pressure seemed to help. I might just leave the map and dock open under 100 pound of brick for a year and see what happens...

I had an issue with the rocket launching pad, not staying flat. I got the feeling it wasn't so much that it was warped, but the way the two halves were connected together. Like the cuts were off or the way they were joined was wrong or something, but they need a weight on either end to stay flat.

All in all minor though, this is one of the best games I've ever played, I love it. So I don't mind a few component quality niggles here and there, I still enjoy the hell out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
I didn't have a warping issue with anything but the 'main' board. It didn't alway lay flat, so when trying to 'bend it back', someone did tear a quater of the board away. On a plus, it lays flatter now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mars board is in three pieces and has been since the second play.

It happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:
I traded for this game lately, and despite the seller mentioned "played 3 times", the 1/4th of the board was literally ripped off, and the cards show at least medium wear.

If I get a new item from the store, will I get the same quality as with older copies?

Thanks!
No tears in the board here, nor wear and tear in the cards, but did have boards warped and would not lay flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:

Thanks!

The purple cards were stuck together - so much so, that I couldn't seperate them without marking them.
Both boards would not stay flat, and the first gentle nudge to flatten the main board resulted in one of the parts tearing off.
I got replacements from the publisher though.

I sold my copy, but would be tempted to buy the game again if I was sure the new version would not have these component issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
horlaci wrote:

Thanks!

The purple cards were stuck together - so much so, that I couldn't seperate them without marking them.
Both boards would not stay flat, and the first gentle nudge to flatten the main board resulted in one of the parts tearing off.
I got replacements from the publisher though.

I sold my copy, but would be tempted to buy the game again if I was sure the new version would not have these component issues.

I agree, I would want to buy a new copy if i'd knew that the component quality is fixed. Noone seems to know though, if there is any improvement with the latest printruns. This way it's staying off my shopping cart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was also on the verge of getting this game, I asked Asmodee whether they still support it by replacing defective boards/cards if some issues should arise. Here's their response:

"M:RP is now out of print since several years and we liquidate our last stock. You can still find them in some stores like Tanga for 5$. We don't support this game anymore and no reprint is on the schedule."

Quite sad, but in Oz its still 50 bucks which is a bit too much for me (I would be quite unhappy about a game with broken pieces for that price cry )

Hopefully some other company will pick it up and maybe change the box art (steampunk seems to not be everyones thing) so it will attract more interest (Edit: I like the theme, it's only the box art that put me off to even consider it, see below). Fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:

Hopefully some other company will pick it up and maybe change the box art (steampunk seems to not be everyones thing) so it will attract more interest. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed? I think the theme is the game's major selling point!
Please publishers, don't lissen to this guy!
edit:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
BeloW06 wrote:

Hopefully some other company will pick it up and maybe change the box art (steampunk seems to not be everyones thing) so it will attract more interest. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed? I think the theme is the game's major selling point!
Please publishers, don't lissen to this guy!

...and Tom Vasel (although he didn't ask for a change but he seems not to be fan of steampunk either and really loves the game! Watch the video)

However, the game itself looks great, but because of the boxart (and that's what I am refering to!) I mistook it as a space wargame and didn't pay any attention to it (personal taste, nothing against wargamers).

BTW, everyone can have his opinion, so no need to become offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
BTW, everyone can have his opinion, so no need to become offensive.

No offense meant! I was trying to be funny. For clarification, I added a to my previous post.

Regardless of theme, I would love to see a reprint of this game with quality components. Well, not completely regardless, because I like the steam punk theme, but I can imagine other themes working well.

Just curious: what kind of theme do you think would work / like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
Regardless of theme, I would love to see a reprint of this game with quality components. Well, not completely regardless, because I like the steam punk theme, but I can imagine other themes working well.

Just curious: what kind of theme do you think would work / like?

I think the theme itself is not my major concern (although I don't know too much about steampunk whistle). As M:RP is designed as an easily approachable game that also works well with non-gamers, the boxart could be more welcoming - less of the horror bit of steampunk maybe?

To clarify. The boxart reminded me a lot of the WWI scene of sucker punch (released 6 years after MRP) which I loved, but I wouldn't want to play a game about it. That's why I kept skipping M:RP while reading on the geek until I found a post that highly recommended it as a fun game that appeals to both gamers and non-gamers.

So, IMHO a more friendly sci-fi/fantasy redesign of the box would be great to attract casual and non-gamers. The board looks really great and delivers the theme perfectly, so it would be a shame if it was changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a set today. The date on the game store's price tag was 11/21/2012, so they hadn't had it long.

I checked over all the cards, and they all look fine - readable, printed properly, etc.

I punched out all the cardboard pieces. They were all cut properly and, as I was careful, nothing tore or broke in the process.

I can't say yet how well the cards or pieces will hold up.

Neither board lies flat - the launch pad is worse. I knew better than to try to bend them back. I haven't figured out yet what I'll do. Doesn't sound like people have had luck weighting them down. Someone mentioned sanding the backs around the hinges. I'll have to see.

I packed everything back in the box following the instructions at this link. It worked just fine. When I made sure that the box top was properly oriented with the bottom (i.e., you could read the text the same way on the top and bottom), I found that the top would just slide right off when I wanted to open to the box. (This was a lot easier than it was when I first opened it.)

Now all I have to do is play the thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Someone mentioned sanding the backs around the hinges. I'll have to see.

That's what I did too and it worked fine. Just be careful not to grind down the hinges

Have fun playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

Neither board lies flat - the launch pad is worse. I knew better than to try to bend them back. I haven't figured out yet what I'll do. Doesn't sound like people have had luck weighting them down. Someone mentioned sanding the backs around the hinges. I'll have to see.

Last year I asked Asmodee for a replacement launch pad and it didn't lie flat either.
A friend of mine just ripped his in half and puts the 2 pieces together when he places. That method works remarkably well and you'd hardly notice it's in 2 pieces!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.