$10.00
Diane Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just ran into a question regarding an orange hexagon treasure card called the "Fatbound Ring. Just how is this card useful? What is the purpose of changing a red 8 to a die of your choice? Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not be remembering correctly...but I think some powers activate on a specific number. So you should be able to change that 8 into whatever number you need to activate that power/ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also working from memory here, but I think there are some bosses that only allow you to place the same amount of tokens in the damage boxes or ignore certain types of damage. This would allow you a workaround in those situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Say you're a hunter, and you turn a red 8 into a blue 8, then spot the blue 8 for double damage.

A priest has a similar ability for green 8's.

During PvP, a green 8 is more useful than a red 8 (provided the opponent has attrition)

There are a few abilities which can trigger based on how many of a certain token are in a certain location.

Depending on the timing of this card, you may be able to spot it as a red 8, then change it to a green 8 which you can then spot the armor token to do X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:
Say you're a hunter, and you turn a red 8 into a blue 8, then spot the blue 8 for double damage.

During PvP, a green 8 is more useful than a red 8 (provided the opponent has attrition)

There are a few abilities which can trigger based on how many of a certain token are in a certain location.

Depending on the timing of this card, you may be able to spot it as a red 8, then change it to a green 8 which you can then spot the armor token to do X.

Again, sorry about the necro threads, but I don't think this is correct. Just got the game and browsing the forums to try and make sure I'm playing everything right.

Pg. 19 of the rulebook says you can't spot a die twice (unless you spot it once and a creature/boss ability spots it)
Spotting Dice wrote:

Many abilities require players to allocate, or “spot,” a certain die result at a specific time. Each individ-ual die may only be “spotted” once for the pur-poses of special abilities during each combat round.

Example: The Hunter has two abilities that require him to spot blue die “8” results after his rerolls. After rolling his dice pool, and after his rerolls, the Hunter only has one blue “8” result. In this case, the Hunter may only activate one of those special abilities, since he cannot “spot” the same die twice.

Exception: A creature’s (or Boss’s) special ability and a character special ability may spot the same die result during the same combat round.

Note that it is possible, via many card abilities, for a character to change a die result into a specific result (an “8” result, for example). As long as such a die has not been “spotted” already, the character may now “spot” the new result to activate another card ability, if able. This flexibility allows for all sorts of interesting combos between card abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarir Khosh Vadoud
msg tools
Entice wrote:
TomBoombs wrote:

Again, sorry about the necro threads, but I don't think this is correct. Just got the game and browsing the forums to try and make sure I'm playing everything right.

You are right.
The first line of TomBoombs is valid, however the last line is not.

One could argue that spotting the red 8 and then changing it to a green 8 makes it a "new" die and therefore eligible for a new "spot". However I think that's stretching it too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarir wrote:

You are right.
The first line of TomBoombs is valid, however the last line is not.

One could argue that spotting the red 8 and then changing it to a green 8 makes it a "new" die and therefore eligible for a new "spot". However I think that's stretching it too far.

Ah, that's an interesting point. I wonder if anyone brought this up to FFG and got an answer before they lost the license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.