Subject: Combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zac Nellist
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played PL for the first time this week and really enjoyed the elite experience! however, our group had some problems with the timing during combat.

With attacks and defenses that have an optional cost (spending fuel to boost projectile damage for example) does the attacker need to declare whether he will pay this cost before the defender organises his defense? Similarly, what about cards that require other cards to be drawn (prayer to unknown god/double strike).

The only way we could make it work in a way that seemed fair was to have the attacker allocate attacks to specific defenders and to declare all optional costs/draw bonus cards etc, before the defender allocated defenses.

So player A v B & C

Player A: (draws his double strike's second card and adds the effects, then decides on targets) 'I'm hitting player B with a doublestrike for 5energy/5proj attack and player C with a succesful hit for 2/2.

Player B: 'well I defend using this card and take 1 damage'

Player C: 'I use both my defense cards and am not hurt'

Still not sure where that leaves defense cards that need some further action/cost. Maybe they all should be worked out just after the hands are revealed? Or are attack cards with an optional cost designed to be very powerful as you can wait until you see if they are defended, and if not boost them during the resolution stage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
zacnellist wrote:
Played PL for the first time this week and really enjoyed the elite experience! however, our group had some problems with the timing during combat.

With attacks and defenses that have an optional cost (spending fuel to boost projectile damage for example) does the attacker need to declare whether he will pay this cost before the defender organises his defense?

Most certainly, yes, he has to do so.

Quote:
Similarly, what about cards that require other cards to be drawn (prayer to unknown god/double strike).

Resolve those (eg. draw more cards) at the time when its played.
Otherwisely you will have timing issues.

Quote:
The only way we could make it work in a way that seemed fair was to have the attacker allocate attacks to specific defenders and to declare all optional costs/draw bonus cards etc, before the defender allocated defenses.

So player A v B & C

Player A: (draws his double strike's second card and adds the effects, then decides on targets) 'I'm hitting player B with a doublestrike for 5energy/5proj attack and player C with a succesful hit for 2/2.

Player B: 'well I defend using this card and take 1 damage'

Player C: 'I use both my defense cards and am not hurt'

Still not sure where that leaves defense cards that need some further action/cost. Maybe they all should be worked out just after the hands are revealed? Or are attack cards with an optional cost designed to be very powerful as you can wait until you see if they are defended, and if not boost them during the resolution stage?

All of these (and many other) combat problems are corrected with the new battle system introduced in Phantom League: Pilot Academy in October.

But until then, I have to say that usage of all fuel using or additional cards giving powers must be announced at the time the card in question is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Nellist
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Timo.

That makes sense. So you don't know what extra cards may be drawn when you play a card, either as attacker or defender.
Look forward to the new expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
zacnellist wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Timo.

That makes sense. So you don't know what extra cards may be drawn when you play a card, either as attacker or defender.

That is how I originally thought it. Sadly it is not as well explained as it should be.

Quote:
Look forward to the new expansion!

Thanks. I truly believe that it offers more than bug corrections to the base game. (and works well even without MH)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.