1 Posts

The Pillars of the Earth» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3 Sessions summaries based on the first 3 two player games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ad best
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is a hybrid short session report / review.

First off, I like this game a lot, it's one of the few games we played were after the first two turns we made no rules errors. (The only error I made was not moving the starting player along automatically.)

It appears to have good variety and range of stategy yet play very tightly and clean well presented board and rules.

We play with base game board and all the cards from the expansion and I can't see why we would play it any other way unless we have 5+ players.
We can get through a game in just over an hour now.

Background, I play with my Girlfriend who is a good gamer and learns quickly, but I beat her... well I beat her 70% of the time on two player games.

Final score
Game one. 54-53 to me.
Game two 55-55, She wins by one gold 2-1) Our scores were tied from round 4 onwards..
Game three 60-59 She wins.

Basic stategy.Each game we individually adopted a slightly different stategy and didn't repeat the same stategy between games, the extra variety of craftsmen thanks to the 2 extra expansion cards helped with this.

Game one me: Architect, balanced crafts men, Prior philip and heavy priory use
Game one her: Gold smith and crafts men who make money
Game two me: Stone econmy, more aggresive blocking by me of resources and spaces she needed which didn't have a huge impact
Game two her: Can't remember
Game three me: Beggar/ day labourer early game, Turning into a team of scultpors and goldsmiths, Ellen and Aliena. Blackfact and shiring workers. In round 5 the privilidge card which gives 3 vps and one for 2 metal were avaliabe I went for the wrong once and went for 2 metal.. That said we play fast and don't over analyse which leads to fun fast games and some mistakes which are good too, i could easily have spent 5 minutes running the maths.. I didn't and don't.
Game three her: Stone based econmy priory usage but no privilidge cards.

Note: As notes no repeat tactics were used but some tendancies towards Privilge cards and dodging the events for me and shiring for her.

Sorry for the short report. I was just so impressed by how tight the final scores were and how well it played. I normally have to coach and explain during out first few games, I didn't have to.

P.s. the builders duel 2 player game in the same family is also good and is much more confrontational and portable so is well worth a look.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.