Battles of Westeros» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lion's lessons - In Sight of the Eye rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A new opportunity to use some cool wardens stuff.

My plan was to put Stark under pressure rigth from the start, moving my cavalry
up to block the way. His red riders would have a decent chance to get shot down
due to the bonus die ranged attacks get against them and my arches and crossbowmen
being nearby. He should struggle right away to keep from loosing via the
“push them back” condition.

So here is our setup:

I got a cool “command one unit and all units adjacent to that one”-card for starters,
moved all for cavalry up, killed a bunch of shieldmaidens and nearly got the archers,
too. But Stark played a card which gave pursue to the ordered units, and his trident
bearers came down upon my blue riders, killing them and getting past the line. Sandor
got stripped down to reduced strength, and my ranged missed on the red cav, just
scoring morale and driving them back.

It was one stalwart unit of shieldmaidens and the pursue-tridents who hold the
line for Stark. I was very glad with the opening, though, since i got my cav in place
to smash three soft green targets the next round.

This is after round one:

In round two, Starks lancers remained at the back, being out of range for command
cards. Stark used his tokens to order some units again he rallied with Smalljons commit
ability, healing the shieldmaidens in the process. I managed to kill his archers, but came
down one hit short for the trident guys. One of my ranged units got killed, then Stark
forces returned to the central clash.

Kevan stayed with his archers and corssbowmen, lending addituional attack dice
to them, but without scoring any hits but morale results. Rodrik moved into the center,
too, assisting the Smalljon in hacking at my militia.

The board after round two:

Round three got quite some movement into the center. My militia fell, and Stark
killed my pikemen, but i finally got those shieldmaidens, the remaining trident
bearer (who had been hard to get at before, since he used his deflect) and the
lone red rider, who had been stalking around my back.

Stark got his lancers to the battle, and i managed to get rid of one of those units
on the spot. Things were going well for me, the second trident unit was about
to fall in a moment, Smalljon was at reduced strength, and i was ahead on victory
points. Only Rodrik was likely to hold the line for Stark.

State of the war after round three:

Round number for went well for Stark. I got the leftover trident bearer and slashed
Rodrik down to being alone in his unit, but thats all i achieved. The last hearth
lancers and Smalljon smashed through my cav, leaving only Tyrion as mounted unit,
and the got at my archers, too, essentially drawing even at victory points. Right
before the last round, the board looked like this:

The last round was quite demanding, with lots of action and praying to the dice.
My archers fell, and Stark archers shot down my crossbowmen in the forest. My
other ranged got killed, too, and the Greatjon moved far south to prevent instant
loss, after Sandor finally managed to capture Rodrik.

Tyrion killed the riders of winterfell, and suddenly we were equal on victory points,
with me ahaed on morale. Sandor had Smalljon engaged, who could not disengage
due to sandors ability, and i felt safe Stark would not manage to kill anything, since
Smalljon stood in a forest. But he pulled off a nice turn once again, having his archers
roll morale against Sandor, then using Smalljon to attack my own archers. He came
up one hit short, and i called victory with one victory point more then Stark, due
to my two more points of morale.

Final standings:

We had 4 units left each. The scenario felt very cool, it was a close win, tension
till the end, and we had much fun playing those wardens-units again. They all
came to use their abilities to great effect, which was nice. We had deflect and
defender-action, the lancers formation did matter, pikemen had their time as
well as the crossbows, and Sandors ability did matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been wondering about that scenario, since its the only one that uses both warden sets but also seemed unusual setup wise. I figured with such a small front and aggressive conditions it might turn into a simplistic bloodbath but that doesnt seem to be the case.

One additional question, I notice that there are 6 units (Lannisters) sharing one Hex (rather then the 3 pikemen that should be there). Did you house rule something or where the other pikemen missing (being painted?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lannister militia have 6 figures per Unit.

That makes me curious if any ran away because of Disloyalty? *Edit* Never mind, I can see the Morale track in the photos. modest

Yeah, I think the two Wardens expansions really make the game sing. I wish that we had a few more Battle Plans that use both Wardens expansions.

Also, great job sharing another session report, Jan.

Can't wait to hear your opinions of the Brotherhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, militia and pikemen look similar on the battle plan, but play quite different. Besides being inefficient and illoyal, i like the militia, because with six figures they are not so easily killed, and wont drop down to reduced strength after three hits.
I never lost one to disloyality till now, but they got spared by a rally all once.

I want to finish painting Timmett, in order to have stone crows and burned men completed for scenario 22. Chella and her men will take part with just a layer of brown spray paint, so we should play 22 soon.

I am very excited to visit bwb afterwards, especially scenario 26 should be great, with all the expansions kicking in again. And then it shouldnt be too long till baratheon... cant wait to see the scenario-book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Yep, militia and pikemen look similar on the battle plan, but play quite different. Besides being inefficient and illoyal, i like the militia, because with six figures they are not so easily killed, and wont drop down to reduced strength after three hits.
I never lost one to disloyality till now, but they got spared by a rally all once.

Confused by this, Militia become Reduced Strength after three hits and cannot be Rallied by Rally All. Do you mean that you affected Morale with a Morale Order Token?

Yes, yes, yes to everything else you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the wardens of the west, but I have never used the militia yet, really cool that they get 6 for their own horde mode (I had not noticed this being focused on the units that have seen play from it).

Edit: This is due to playing with Skirmish rather then the warden scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fingers were faster than my mind when i typed.. I wanted to say militia needs three hits to get to reduced strength, and not being effected by rally all was the only influence of their keywords so gar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.