Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Game On!'s Cody and John join Erik and Don to talk about the Jones Theory and finding that perfect game collection size.

In Don and Erik's Review-a-palooza, they cover:

Empires of the Void
Miskatonic School for Girls
7 Wonders: Leaders
Civilization

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/webpage/obg-84-the-dewey-game...

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your primary concern when developing your collection? Are you looking to collect new themes or mechanisms? Does your play group matter or your personal preferences? Do you collect specific designers or is shelf-space the real issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
What is your primary concern when developing your collection? Are you looking to collect new themes or mechanisms? Does your play group matter or your personal preferences? Do you collect specific designers or is shelf-space the real issue?

Why don't people just collect games that are fun for them to play, regardless of how great or crappy they are? Have I become an old foggy for believing that a game can grace my shelf because I actually enjoy it?

On a related note, GET OFF MY GRASS, YOU PUNK KIDS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fathergeek wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

Why don't people just collect games that are fun for them to play, regardless of how great or crappy they are? Have I become an old foggy for believing that a game can grace my shelf because I actually enjoy it?

On a related note, GET OFF MY GRASS, YOU PUNK KIDS!

Wow, you are an old foggy. Or Fogey. Or maybe an old Stogie. whistle

With the glut of games hitting the market collection development is more relevant today than it was 18 years ago. When a player limited funds, and space, sees dozens of appealing new games a month it would be helpful to have a strategy for expanding their collection. Otherwise they could end up with a stack of similar games that remains largely un-played because one of them does it so much better than all the others.

So clear off those shelves and make room for new games that will actually hit the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foggy, fogey, boogity-boogity.

My advise has always been "play the game first". If you like it, buy it when you can if you think you want to. RESEARCH, PEOPLE! There are so many Gamer's with opinions (me included) that you will have no problem getting different perspectives.

No map or step-by-step task list to follow here, folks.

Bringing this back to your question, Don, my decision to buying a game or not is based on if the game was interesting and replayable. Actually, now that I think about it, I ask the same questions before I buy DVDs or music. I guess games are no different.

I choose friends based on how well they feed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, I was disappointed that you didn't talk about the Resistance. I'd like to hear what you had to say. Dennis, in the next podcast, could you cut out a couple of references to Silent Death to make room for Erik's two cents on the Resistance? (Just kidding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

This was one of the best round tables you've done! Seriously, such good discussion and flow of conversation. On a side note, in regard to the discussion of Catan expansions at the end, there's one that I find very worthwhile, and that's The Settlers of Catan: The Fishermen of Catan, which was originally published with a magazine but later released with the Barbarian boxed expansion. What it does is makes the sea spaces more worthwhile to build on (by allowing you to go fishing is a pretty thematic way of a chit pull). To me it makes the 4 player game feel less confining, opening up more good building options. Catan isn't a game I really want to feel tight, I'd rather lower the chances of a player having no desirable options, so with 4 I always include this one.

In response to your question about collection decisions, as a comparatively newer gamer, I'm just now entering the cull stage of The Dewey Game Collection Lifecycle. My initial motivations were to focus on collecting mechanisms I enjoyed, and as such I have a lot of auction and deduction games. More recently in regard to mechanism, I've moved toward stock train games (though not 18xx) and racing.

I've had some games in my collection that weren't for me, like Don, I for a bit did host a game night at the local library and had a lot of light and quick games that I didn't particularly enjoy, but also didn't dislike. Now I'm just focusing on my own tastes, and when trying to find something to play with a partner or non-gaming friends, I look at how I can introduce them to games that I enjoy.

I do delve into works of designers I like, if you look at my collection you'll see lots of Knizia, some Kramer, some Sackson, some Feld. I get curious about older designs which are intriguing but generally panned (TV Wars, Outdoor Survival, Gumshoe), and some of those when I buy I fully expect to play once, see it's problems, and move on, but hopefully take something from the experience of playing a game I think unique.

Shelf space is a concern, I get particularly annoyed when boxes are 3 or 4 times deeper than they need to be. This has caused me to combine several queen games due to the boxes being space hogs. Also I don't really want any games longer than a Power Grid box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the round table. As per game collection, I've gone through the various stages mentioned. I loved games as a kid (anything from Pro Draft to Risk to AH's Luftwaffe). Like many, I really started gaming as a hobby after Settlers came out, so my collection expanded rapidly. Then it got so big, I had to promise my family I'd keep my collection to 4 shelves worth (equates to ~160 games). Ergo, any new purchase, I must cull something to make physical room for it. So I've been doing that long before the Jones concept came up.

I keep a few games I am personally very fond of that none of my gaming groups enjoy as much as I (e.g., San Marco, Kremlin). However, I really try to keep games that scratch various itches that will appeal to a variety of groups. I have my main Friday night group, an occasional Thursday group, another group I visit, games for the immediate family, for the extended family, and couples my wife & I play with that don't game much. I genuinely just want to show these varying groups a good time. So if a game falls flat with more than one group and I don't like it much myself, I sell it dirt cheap to a friend or just give it away. This seems to be nicely working for keeping games that still hit the table with regularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Erik, I was disappointed that you didn't talk about the Resistance. I'd like to hear what you had to say. Dennis, in the next podcast, could you cut out a couple of references to Silent Death to make room for Erik's two cents on the Resistance? (Just kidding)

I'll try to cut out some Silent Death discussion, but that won't change what Erik talks about.

If you look back to when Scott was still on the show you should be able to find the discussion on Resistance. It was pretty long and Erik participated in it. Kinda like the 7 Wonders discussion we had. If you think it just doesn't count unless we label it review let me know and I'll let Erik review all the games we've talked about over and over.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is my favourite game, I wish you could talk about it every episode. Why didn't you dig it Don?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:

I'll try to cut out some Silent Death discussion, but that won't change what Erik talks about.

If you look back to when Scott was still on the show you should be able to find the discussion on Resistance. It was pretty long and Erik participated in it. Kinda like the 7 Wonders discussion we had. If you think it just doesn't count unless we label it review let me know and I'll let Erik review all the games we've talked about over and over.

whistle

I'll check that out. Really enjoyed this show. Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If erik has played several games of The Resistance and want to do an analysis of the game, something deeper than a fast review, that is more than welcome, about any game really, it's not the same talk about a game long time since it was released that when it's hot.

Also Last Will is an awesome Euro, you should play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
If erik has played several games of The Resistance and want to do an analysis of the game, something deeper than a fast review, that is more than welcome, about any game really, it's not the same talk about a game long time since it was released that when it's hot.

Alright alright, you all win!

Erik, I most humbly apologize and implore you to review The Resistance. Again.

Edit to add: And yeah, I plan on giving Last Will another chance, it just didn't make a good first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
kabutor wrote:

Alright alright, you all win!

Erik, I most humbly apologize and implore you to review The Resistance. Again.

Edit to add: And yeah, I plan on giving Last Will another chance, it just didn't make a good first impression.

Huzzah! A win for the spies!!!! It was Erik, Estaban, and me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik is not happy enough that he has a decimal system... Now he wants a collection Life-cycle???

Loved the episode!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hansen
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great podcast episode. I am fully down with the gutting out one's collection to the games that bring the most enjoyment. There's no reason to put down good money for a game you know may not get played or only played once, I don't care how hot it is. Putting down money only makes things worse. I agree there are exceptions, however, because I really like racing games. But that's an exception, as it should be.

If you buy a ton of games thinking that owning them will make people like you, or you think one day someone's going to come to your house and say, "Man, I really want to play Game X, do you have it?" you might be a hoarder. I'm not making fun and I can't diagnose anyone, I'm just speaking from my own life here. Just something to think about.

As an aside, Great Space Race is not only out of print, but Kenzer and Co. sold off the last copies from their warehouse a few years ago. Unless FFG or Valley picks it up, it's gone. It's too bad, too. It's a great game suffering from very crappy components.

Wow. Longest post I've had on this guild, which demonstrates how much I liked this episode. I would have liked to hear from Scott, but very good job on this one, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Just wanted to drop you a line and mention that I really enjoy your podcast. I am able to listen while at work and like having you guys around the office to break up the day.

Do you still have plans on doing the Rule Book 101 episode that you mentioned in a previous podcast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Hoarding.
Having one kind of item (games, thimbles, books, spoons, etc.,) probably doesn't make you a hoarder. If the tendency to collect is a dominant theme in your life, then you probably have a problem.

RE: Rulebooks 101
Yes indeed. There are one or two information presentation experts I'd like to sign up for that episode, however when we are looking for a topic to discuss every episode Erik suggests the topic and tells me I'm that expert. I guess I may actually be that person, but until I complete my master checklist for rules books and get to put that checklist in to practice as an actual artifact, instead of just having an idea about how things should work, I won't feel qualified to be the only expert on the table.

And yeah, I've started working on the Rules of Rules books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Cullop
Oman
flag msg tools
I really enjoyed the last episode and, yeah, I'd like to hear more from Erik on The Resistance too!

Looking ahead, I'm sure you will have many interesting things to say about clarity in rules. At a more general level, a pet hate of mine are rules which make me do things I don't want to do (like pay upkeep or feed your troops or draw event cards which do horrible things to you). OK these are sometimes necessary but all too often these irksome little restrictions get forgotten, frequently by everyone around the table and all of a sudden everyone has to start backtracking to figure out when the collective amnesia set in and work out a fair way of rectifying this. The problem is that if I forget to do something which helps me then I am not exaxtly happy but at least I only have myself to blame: if I forget to do something which disadvantages me in some way, I feel like I've cheated and I really hate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Don, you said there's a big sale? Where is it? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got most of it put together in a google doc. Dunno how else I want to post it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dewey Game Collection Lifecycle (DGCL) is becoming world famous! -- sort of..

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/11696/critical-collisi...

About 3/4th's of the way down into the post...

By the way, I can readily identify with the DGCL as I am in the last stage of the lifecycle and am clearing out my collection with my first BGG auction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feel free to link your auction here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
feel free to link your auction here.

Thanks Donald!

Just 23 hours left:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144073/my-first-auctio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.