Vlaada Chvátil» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: The Vlaada universe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Johansson
Sweden
Hallsberg
flag msg tools
First off let me just say that I'm a big fan of Vlaada Chvátil's games and own a fair share of them. The games are fun, competetive and often have the rare quality of being even more fun when something goes wrong.

A big part of setting the tone of the games are the rulebooks that besides the actual rules offer a humorous backstory and explanations of the game mechanics.

By reading these rulebooks and by looking at the various gameboards you get aware that there are several connections between Vlaada's games. Some obvious, some less so.

Below follows a list with some of these connections. (I guess a spoiler alert is in place if you want to find out these yourself by reading the rulebooks.)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The space connection:

The somewhat omnious company Corporation Inc exists in both Space Truckers and Space Alert. In Space Truckers the company is the employer of the players and supplier of the parts they use to build their ships.

In Space Alert the company is the sponsor of the ship the players command and if you look at the gameboard both the ship's cannons and shields look suspiciously alike their counterparts in Galaxy Trucker. (This would explain my abysmal success rate in Space Alert. It's not easy relying on cannons made of sewage pipes )

Another possible connection might come up with the new expansion to Galaxy Truckers where ships can get boarded. Maybe some of the internal threats of Space Alert will make a cameo.

The fantasy connection:

The obvious connection between Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz is it's cast. Dungeon lords, imps and minions make an appearance in both games and it seems that the petz will be a part of the upcoming Dungeon Lords expansion. Also the image of some imps having a game of Dungeon Lords printed on the Dungeon Petz board is a humorous link.

Somewhat more questionable is the connection between Mage Knight: Board game and Dungeon Lords. One of the scenarios in Mage Knight is called Dungeon Lords. Are these the same lords as in Dungeon Lords?

Seeing that I haven't read the rulebooks of several of Vlaada's games, I would like to know if there exists other connections between games in the Vlaada "universe".

Do you believe Vlaada will add more games that will relate to previous games and we will end up with a vast connected world akin "The Dark Tower". A world where nothing ever dies whatever happens to them. (Unless they forgot to sign the consent to cloning papers .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is like the top-side to Dungeon Lords. You're the hero attacking those poor underpaid monsters just trying to protect the dungeons.

I like the connections you made. That's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Mage Knights don't really resemble the Adventurers though... And the monsters don't even come close to matching. Sorry, guys, but I think Wizkids has kept that game their own :'(

He appears to have a Space universe and a Fantasy (Dungeon) universe, we'll see if Tash-Kalar is in the Dungeon Universe - so far, doesn't look like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.