Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Several people have been asking for the Masks of Nyarlathotep fan expansion, so I've put a copy on dropbox. You can download it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81740631/MoN%20SE%20Files.zip

I have two requests. Can the first person who downloads this expansion check that I have included all the .eon files. This is a large selection of files (~220 Mb) and I may have unwittingly missed something. Just post your response in this thread.

Secondly, this file was originally on MegaUpload and was lost when the FBI closed the site down. In the event that the same ever happens to dropbox we'll be in the same position again, so if you run an Arkham Horror fan website, please consider adding this file to your website. The more we proliferate work of this quality, the less likely it will be lost in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't checked everything, but when I open the World Map / Full Board file, I get a "Card file missing" error: New York City Front Face missing.

Also, the expansion requires the Gilman expansion.

Where's the readme file?

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Hey guys

I've been checking and the 'not found' error is due to a problem with the file pointing to a particular place on a hard drive, but there is a problem with a few files. I went through pointing the file in the right direction in the Location folder (where the files are located that seem to be missing) but there is something wrong with at least one file-The Throne Room of the Bent Pyramid-is not recognized in the folder as an EON file. It's in the folder, but may be corrupted.

Off to check the rest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Also:

Chamber of the Bloated Woman

seems to have a problem.

I wondered why I had not had this problem before and it was because what I have is the pdf exports of the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob - is it me, or does that zip file contain a zip-within-a-zip? It seems to have two lots of folders, I've not checked in detail to see if they are duplicates but they might be - in which case the download could be halved by re-zipping...

I may be mistaken, mind...

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jacob, I took a closer look at this archive;

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that the archive has 3 and a half copies of the MoN expansion files! I found two full archives of the entire thing in that zip file, in different sub-folders, and then another full copy which also included 2 extra 7-zip files for the 'agents' and 'agent custom card' folder contents!

A fairly sweeping check through the decks seemed to suggest that the copies were exact clones of one another (based on file size, modified date, and checking a few files at random in SE).

So, I've pulled out what I think is actually a single copy of the expansion material, and compressed it with 7-zip (small download size - go to www.7-zip.org). The total file size has dropped from 216Mb to 41Mb.

I've stuck it online with dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39n5oq9p517vap8/Masks%20of%20Nyarl...

If anyone wants to check my archive to make sure everything is present and correct, please feel welcome.

@Suicidepuppet: I don't know about problems with the cards; I looked at the two locations you mentioned (throne room of the bent pyramid and chamber of the bloated woman) and both seemed fine in Strage Eons for me; see screenshots below:

(assuming that second one is supposed to have a rocket-ship(???) on it...)

Maybe going through and fixing the archive anyway has resolved the problem?

Best,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Interesting. I acquired a second copy that still has the problem of absolute pathnames but the files that appeared corrupted in the first copy worked fine in the second. Weird.

I'm trying to get time to go through and compile one full copy and try to correct the pathname situation. I'll post on progress (might be a few days...health issues this week).

Since I have yet to get the expansion board to load I was wondering if it has been saved where it can be printed out on 3 separate sheets or is it just one large sheet?

(BTW: The message I get when trying to load the Full Board file is:

Missing Game Component-Unable to locate one of the card files used in this deck-The card New York City (front face)was not found at /Users/esmalin/Documents/My Projects/Masks of Nyarlathotep/Locations/New York City.eon

It then proceeds to display this for every file in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I didn't have time to go through and fix the path issues, and I get the same error in SE.

The expansion board size is a 'standard' expansion board (i.e. same size as innsmouth, kingsport, dunwich). SE has settings to split the print over multiple pages anyway, but the board is just supplied as a single *.eon file.

You can go through and manually 'fix' the path issues in SE; it's a bit of a dog, but at least the files are all in the same place, so you're not constantly changing directories. Here's what it should look like:

Incidentally, Jacob, there should probably be an acknowledgement in here somewhere for Ornendil from the FFG forums, as the original author. There should probably be a copy of the rules too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the heads up on the splitting function in SE. I'm still learning the software. I'm still collecting, not quite creating yet.

I know now that I need to be careful how I save files. That absolute path thing brings back nightmares of early web page coding

I had a pdf showing the full board but that was a big tease...all on one page and that wasn't gonna do it.

I have a doc file with 'rules' (seems more like a brief description and component list) if that is any help. I know someone has tried to locate the creator but no luck so far.

It's good to see community working on this. There is so much excellent material out there and the Megaupload fiasco (it wasn't even a legal take down-the whole thing looks to be tossed by judges soon) really showed a weak spot that I hope I can help strengthen. As an old buddy once told me you back up the back up of the back up...and then you back that up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, this material is worth preserving, especially given the time and effort which has gone into it. It would be lovely if BGG could have a repository of the 'best of the best' of fan expansions (by popular vote, or whatever), and then take the best and really polish them up a bit (improve graphics, proof all text, etc) to make them top quality.

I think the real killer on Arkham expansion material - the good stuff at least - is that it's quite extensive (necessarily, to be immersive) and so you end up with a rather massive print list. By the time you've factored in the costs of printing, and the man-hours for all the printing, cutting, sticking, etc, it's a rather epic undertaking to put together a full custom expansion like MoN, or Vermont, or Lovecraft Country, or Arkham nightmares. It would be great if FFG approached the creators of some of these, and put together a 'fan edition' pack, which bundled some of the best of the material out there and sold it as an 'official' community-sourced add-on. But that's pretty much a pipe-dream. Still, a nice pipe-dream...

If you can post/host the rules for this one, that would be great, as I don't believe they are now available anywhere on the net - or Jacob do you a copy you can host here, giving due credit to Ornendil from the FFG forums of course?

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
See, 50% of what sold me on buying in was the 'crafting' aspect of the game. I had started with ES and the material being released for it and then studied AH and was just blown away by the community. Everyone has been helpful (and I feel your pain with us new folk-I do search as much as possible before posting) and the level of custom content is excellent. I started buying supplies within a month of owning the base game.

Part of what I want to cover in the journal I'm working on (coming soon-Darkness over Dunwich) will be the D.I.Y. side of the game and what items I am using and some faster less expensive ways to 'fast-prototype' a component to get it to your table and see if it is right for your group (or self...solo play was also a BIG factor in buying the game) before spending a lot of time and money on an upgraded version.

I hope that this helps the game to stay relevant regardless of whatever future FFG has in store for it.

I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Ok...finally got the 'rulebook' up:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j02dcdlv1w2mgei

(spelling error in file name left intact for tracking purposes)

Anyone who has anything in addition to this please post it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We too a few photos yesterday whilst playing a game of Arkham with the Vermont Horror board (see short report here), and we pulled off a few photos with Masks of Nyarlathotep whilst we were at it; I've put a few slightly silly ones in a post here, but we did take a few photos of Masks as well. In case anyone has never seen this very attractive-looking fan expansion, I thought I'd share a few below and maybe encourage folks to download and give this one a go. Credit of course to Ornendil from over on the FFG forums who was the original creator of this expansion.

The main expansion board:

A close-up on the souped-up allies that come with MoN, and a few of the 'mask' cards on the right:

And another close-up on a few of the 'agents' cards

Hope that gives a flavour of the board; when we get a chance, we'll try to get a session report up on BGG!

Mike S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric TOLLET
France
POISSY
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing now with that wonderful expansion and I want to give some precisions, especially about the monsters movement:
when you only draw from the campaign cards deck you have no more monsters symbol like in the Mythos card. The rules indicated:

"Monster Movement
• ❑ Monsters move normally from their initial location to the region 'street area,'
• ❑ once in the street area, monsters do not move, though special text is still activated. Monster in Cairo and or Beyond Cairo move back and forth between the two areas, regardless of movement symbol color."

But the "move normally" seems to refer to the normal rules of movement based on mythos cards.

That's why, after few Games, Eli Margolese-Malin (who created that expansion) suggested:

for Nyarlathotep AO, instead of automatic sanity loss: when terror level increases make a Will Roll -x where x is the new terror level, when doom track advances make a Will Check -x where x is the current number of doom tokens. Lose 1 sanity if you fail.

for cult members: all cult members should be stationary, otherwise they all pile up in one place and a well armed investigator can take them all out at once

for monsters in general: also drawing mythos cards for monster movement every turn

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

So I changed the rulebook like this:

"Monster Movement: draw a Mythos card and only read the movements symbols.
• ❑ Monsters – except Cults members - move from their initial location to the region 'street area' at the Mythos phase.
Purple borders Cults members move only if they can reach an investigator.
• ❑ once in the street area, black borders monsters do not move. Special text is still activated. Monster in Cairo and or Beyond Cairo move back and forth between the two areas, regardless of movement symbol color."

But I don't understand the interest of Red borders cultists (move twice)
and Purple borders monsters (Stalker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a usable copy of this anywhere? I can only find the Dropboxed stuff in the OP, with the same "can't find file" issue already mentioned. Later dropbox upload by nevernoughtime and mediafire upload of rulebook by suicidepuppet now reported as non-existent by their respective sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that Bill; I don't remember deleting it but I must have needed the space.

Here's the SE files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1620904/MON_SE.7z

Here's the rules:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1620904/MON_RULES.doc

Here's a hi-res board image:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1620904/MON_BOARD.png

Let me know if they work for you!

best,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wilfong
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This looks awesome. Any chance of getting original files so I can modify the board a little? Just a couple of changes to the text I'd like to make.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Magus
msg tools
Hi guys, this is Ornendil/Eli maker of Masks. I'm absolutely thrilled the expansion is living on--I just stumbled on this thread. I kind of put the expansion out there (back in 2010) and fell off the map so to speak. Real life got in the way and some things that shouldn't have been forgotten were, and then there was the megaupload fiasco (thank goodness for Dropbox). I've thought now and then about doing a thorough revision of the expansion--it is overly complex and needs a good bit of polishing. I do still have all the original Eon files and, oh yeah (looking now) an investigators' kit I never finished (new characters, items allies, skills, etc for any/all expansions) forgot about that. Hm.

Sorry about the file path issues, I must not have exported everything correctly, the file path posted was to my old macbook.

For those of you who have played Masks, I'd love any and all feedback and if there's still interest in a Masks 2.0, esp with Eldritch horror coming out. You guys are free to run with the material of course. Right now I manage a Cthulhu gaming society along with many other projects and work, so no idea when I might be able to dust off Strange Eons, but at some point... Also, if you have any questions about the rules... though I'll have to read them again myself.

Again, thanks! This made my night.
Eli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Magus
msg tools
[q=
So I changed the rulebook like this:

"Monster Movement: draw a Mythos card and only read the movements symbols.
• ❑ Monsters – except Cults members - move from their initial location to the region 'street area' at the Mythos phase.
Purple borders Cults members move only if they can reach an investigator.
• ❑ once in the street area, black borders monsters do not move. Special text is still activated. Monster in Cairo and or Beyond Cairo move back and forth between the two areas, regardless of movement symbol color."

But I don't understand the interest of Red borders cultists (move twice)
and Purple borders monsters (Stalker).
[/q]

I aprove these changes . Movement on the world map was a major problem I ran into. All Cultists should really be either standard black border or even better really, stationary yellow. A note for the revised edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do it! More polishing is good, and this expansion is indeed a little on the complicated side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
ornendil wrote:
Hi guys, this is Ornendil/Eli maker of Masks. I'm absolutely thrilled the expansion is living on--I just stumbled on this thread. I kind of put the expansion out there (back in 2010) and fell off the map so to speak. Real life got in the way and some things that shouldn't have been forgotten were, and then there was the megaupload fiasco (thank goodness for Dropbox). I've thought now and then about doing a thorough revision of the expansion--it is overly complex and needs a good bit of polishing. I do still have all the original Eon files and, oh yeah (looking now) an investigators' kit I never finished (new characters, items allies, skills, etc for any/all expansions) forgot about that. Hm.

Sorry about the file path issues, I must not have exported everything correctly, the file path posted was to my old macbook.

For those of you who have played Masks, I'd love any and all feedback and if there's still interest in a Masks 2.0, esp with Eldritch horror coming out. You guys are free to run with the material of course. Right now I manage a Cthulhu gaming society along with many other projects and work, so no idea when I might be able to dust off Strange Eons, but at some point... Also, if you have any questions about the rules... though I'll have to read them again myself.

Again, thanks! This made my night.
Eli

Hi!

Glad to see your return. Sorry if I'm a bit slow off the mark here but it has been a bit crazy.

And YES we are interested in all things Arkham (since it looks like we are on our own at this point). It took me 6 months to track it down but I have what I believe is a correct complete with EONs copy of MoN.

If you need a clean copy to work with I can upload it. I have spent a year trying to build an online archive for all the AH fan variants and expansions and am still working on it (my web hosting solution turned out to be a bust) and I would be interested in any other material you might have worked on for the collection.

Let me know if you need the files,

Humbly,

The Archivist of Miskatonic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Here they are:

http://www.mediafire.com/?e7fb9yx3x1t17ur

http://www.mediafire.com/?6k9d4rou6d5u5bk

http://www.mediafire.com/?h155ptiy3eb7x72

The first two are the PDFs and the last is the EON files.
Hope this helps and welcome back. To the best of my knowledge this is the most complete copy that circulated on the internet.

And to all the fans of Arkham Horror, if you know of something someone worked on and maybe hasn't finished this might be a good time to jog their memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
And since I never had a chance to properly introduce myself (just realized that a few minutes ago) I am correcting that oversight now.

I am handling the archiving project while suicide puppet takes time off to finish some book projects and have stepped in to keep this project going along with a fanzine (a real honest to god paper fanzine...I know, crazy right?) and the blog which needs to get fired back up.

Since there is already a FoFCC (Fans of Fan Created Content)thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/898104/fans-of-fan-created-c...

I will be announcing news there and also asking for anyone with FCC to post there as well so that I can d/l and file it. The archive is huge and has a lot of duplication (and that is a good thing in this case) so I am slowly matching the pieces together. Post announcements on anything from just a simple variant to a full expansion there.

Ok, back to...the madness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Magus
msg tools
pnpfanatic wrote:
And since I never had a chance to properly introduce myself (just realized that a few minutes ago) I am correcting that oversight now.

I am handling the archiving project while suicide puppet takes time off to finish some book projects and have stepped in to keep this project going along with a fanzine (a real honest to god paper fanzine...I know, crazy right?) and the blog which needs to get fired back up.

I will be announcing news there and also asking for anyone with FCC to post there as well so that I can d/l and file it. The archive is huge and has a lot of duplication (and that is a good thing in this case) so I am slowly matching the pieces together. Post announcements on anything from just a simple variant to a full expansion there.

The archiving project is a great idea. It may be a bit, but I'll definitely revisit all my Arkham Horror stuff and post them on the FCC thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
ornendil wrote:
pnpfanatic wrote:

The archiving project is a great idea. It may be a bit, but I'll definitely revisit all my Arkham Horror stuff and post them on the FCC thread

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.