Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a slightly trivial question about when the resolution of an Epic Battle Card actually begins.

The rule book for the base game says about the final battle:

Quote:
1. Investigators Refresh
At the beginning of a round of combat with an Ancient
One, the investigators may refresh their cards, use any
character abilities, and adjust their skill sliders as though
it were the Upkeep Phase. Next, the first player marker
should be passed to the left. Finally, they may trade
items among themselves as if they were in the same
location (see “Trading Equipment” later in these rules).

The Kingsport rule book adds:

Quote:
When the Ancient One awakens, the players are given
an Upkeep Phase to prepare themselves. This follows the
standard rules for when the Ancient One awakens. However,
after the Upkeep Phase is complete, draw the top card from
the Epic Battle deck...

So according to the wording in the base rules, there is a pseudo-Upkeep Phase and then the first player marker is passed and finally trading may be done. This seems to suggest that the trading is done outside of the Upkeep Phase but, obviously, before the combat actually begins for the round.

According to the wording in the Kingsport rules, after the Upkeep Phase the top card of the Epic Battle deck is drawn.

Going by how the rules are written in the two books, does this mean that trading can then be done after the card is drawn (but before the first player starts his attack, as usual)?

Would the order be:

1. Upkeep
2. Draw EB Card
3. Pass First Player Marker
4. Trade Items
5. Start the Attack

Or has there been a revision/clarification somewhere down the line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been no clarification, and I've never noticed this discrepancy before, but thanks for pointing it out. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it definitely may affect the trading step so I'll do it your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always just thought that it was a misprint in the Kingsport rules. Since there is no 'upkeep' phase in final battle, they meant at the end of the 'investigator refresh' phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.