Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: thoughts on a rift variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
t diddy

California
msg tools
mbmb
So I have not played this expansion yet but I'm tempted to get it just for the extra investigators, AO, battle cards, ect (basically to complete the set since i'm OCD and also I love AH). But I have a question on a variant I thought of while reading the rules.
From what I can understand the main problem is rifts don't come out enough and they are easy to control but not very interesting. So my question is would they be a little more of a threat if you still played a rift marker on a section even if two are already on that spot?

To clarify, the rules say there are two different movement types for each gate, but when two markers are on the board on one type of movement and there is another mythos card drawn of that movement type, nothing happens. But I would just say ignore that rule.

So basically there are two types of movement for each rift tracker and anytime either of those movement types comes out, add a marker.

Any thoughts on if this would make it better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this would make it better. Part of the gamble you take when you choose to ignore a 3-unit rift is that there might be a rift placement at an already-filled half, so that you won't add another. Applying your variant, with the exception of Strange Sightings cards or similar, a rift progress token will be placed every round. That actually reduces risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rifts are like the Horror in Dunwich. They are not usually an immediate threat, but ignore them at your peril. Once they come out, they are very annoying, and can take some effort to contain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
The rifts are like the Horror in Dunwich. They are not usually an immediate threat, but ignore them at your peril. Once they come out, they are very annoying, and can take some effort to contain.

Out of our 15 or so Dunwich games, the Horror appeared maybe four times. I think the worst that ever did was one or two Doom Tokens added. We never felt as if he was a threat.

We've only played Kingsport twice (just got it) and a Rift opened in the second game through the effects of a Mythos card. However, possibly just our luck in these situations, it sat right where it spawned for 5~6 turns before the AO woke.

I can see how both the Horror and the Rifts can be a deadly thing to the game, but thus far my group has dodged every bullet they've thrown at us. I just wonder how long this streak will hold and how my opinion will change in the future.

For the record, I'm loving Kingsport a LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.