Subject: Differences in editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
My son and I on a great day out at Bovington Tank Museum. Happy memories...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, well that's it really - how many editions are there of this game and what are the differences between them?

Is the 1st edition still an acceptable option?

Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

there are two game editions.
The most obvious differences are the game board and the pictures on the stickers.

This makes a merging of both versions a little bit difficult.

Regarding the first edition, a sequence of rules variants was published (mainly dealing with the Event cards and some special unit capabilities).

Cases:
You have only a copy of the first edition.
Recommendation: download the rules of the second edition (available at the Columbia Games website).

You have only a copy of the second edition.
Recommendation: nothing special.

You have both editions.
Recommendation: decide which game board and blocks to use. Refer to the rules of the second edition regarding game play.

Personally, I tuned the game (both versions) applying some "house" rules which I think improve game play.

And don't forget the expansion (Constantinople, Cyprus, German Knight Order, etc.).

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
My son and I on a great day out at Bovington Tank Museum. Happy memories...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to summarize - if I only owned the first edition and got the rules update I'd not really be losing out on anything major?

Thanks for the help...

Ps Why would I want to 'merge' the editions? Is this necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

for me it's a matter of "collecting".
As an enthusiast of block games, I "must" get each and every version of games I deem worthwhile to have.

From this perspective, I do not keep "older" game versions collecting dust on the shelf but integrate/merge all the material I have.

This process sometimes triggers new ideas and improvements.

Regarding the differences betweem edition 1 and edition 2.
The new map. The new stickers. A new set of Event cards (e.g. Intrigue does not exist in the first edition).

Rule 4.1. is an example for a "new" rule I have not incorporated in my game system. The slight advantage for the Franks reflected an existing advantage (military training, motivation, flexibility, etc.) properly.
Rule 6.33 is another example where the new rule is "bad". The hit-and-run tactics has an inherent weakness as the full combat strength cannot be applied. The "old" rule of "reduce the Battle rating number by 1" was exactly the right thing.
Rule 6.32 always was a rule I never accepted in my game version. Nothing was more feared and more effective than charging knights during that era. Therefor I do not apply any negative effect on those blocks. This makes the Saracens think twice before they challenge the Franks in a field battle without a significant numerical superiority. Take a look at the historic battles. Hattin? This was lost due to the foolishness of the commander in charge. In game terms such a battle is reflected best by having a vastly inferior Frank force (starting with depleted blocks) attack a strong Saracen force. And you must use a small Frank force during round 1 and the remaining blocks entering as a reserve.
I use a different rule set regarding chapter 8.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, to summarize - if I only owned the first edition and got the rules update I'd not really be losing out on anything major?

I'd like to ask this also.

I've been trying to follow various threads, including this one, to see if there is a clear "Edition One is obsolete and unplayable now," but I'm not really seeing that.

I guess the bottom line is should I try and pick up edition one cheap to play around the house with my son and some friends, or will I quickly find it unbalanced and want to chuck it out the window?

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For most people, I don't think you would find the original game unbalanced using 2nd edition rules. I would suggest also throwing out the Mud card.

More experienced players will find the Saracens have an edge and the 2nd edition addresses some of this with the new jihad card and some tweaks to the order of battle where some saracen blocks are downgraded and the Franks gain a few steps.

If you don't own the game, I suggest you buy the 2nd edition. The map is bigger and beautifully done and the block artwork looks great.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the response.

I was looking at a cheap copy of the 1st edition on the Marketplace, but went with Liberty instead (same seller).

I'll keep my eye of for a 2nd edition copy.

Thanks again,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Ovcharenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:
Hi from Germany,

And don't forget the expansion (Constantinople, Cyprus, German Knight Order, etc.).

Hello!
Could you give me an advice on a place where you have bought wooden blocks for these expansion and stickers print method?
Thank you in advance,
Serge aka longbearder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:
...And don't forget the expansion (Constantinople, Cyprus, German Knight Order, etc.).

Expansion? Is this an official expansion? As fas as I know Columbia Games never published any CR expansion. Or did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hakstege
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, some of the blocks (at least 2 or 3 of the Crusader blocks) have their attack strength increased. Richard the Lionheart has improved for example.

I am going to re-sticker the muslims today and see if some of them are changed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longbearder wrote:
tuner 13 wrote:
Hi from Germany,

Hello!
Could you give me an advice on a place where you have bought wooden blocks for these expansion and stickers print method?
Thank you in advance,
Serge aka longbearder

Hi longbearder, you can buy spare blocks cheaply from Columbia games, about 20cents a block from memory. The expansions will be under crusader Rex here on BGG in the resources as you scroll down past the forums etc. the best way to sticker them is print them on your printer then use glue to glue them on. If you use glossy paper or thin photo paper to print the labels will look pretty close to genuine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.