Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Don, and Scott, talk about an app that Scott is working on, boardgame apps at the table, and Kickstarter.

Nathanial Clubb and Bite do a review of Cosmic Encounter Online.

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/webpage/obg-85-kickstart-my-a...

What do you think about Kickstarter and the tricks used to encourage sponsorship? Is it a great way to build community and enthusiasm for a title, or does the whole thing amount to nothing more than a pile of cheap tricks used to separate the gullible from their lucre?

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still listening...

But, I believe Steve Jackson purposefully set their target amount low for Ogre, knowing full well that the target would be met early, and make the project seem that much more amazing. I don't remember which publisher admitted/shared that they set project targets low in an effort to gather more buzz. It might have been Michael Mindes from TMG, but I'm just guessing at memory there.

-edit-

Looks like this was mentioned (sort of) during the discussion on stretch goals.

By the way, I'm not weighing in on judgment here. I'm about at the point that Kickstarter conversations give me a headache, but I am enjoying the back and forth here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickception
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

What do you think about Kickstarter and the tricks used to encourage sponsorship? Is it a great way to build community and enthusiasm for a title, or does the whole thing amount to nothing more than a pile of cheap tricks used to separate the gullible from their lucre?

I sadly haven't had a chance to listen yet, but my initial thoughts are ones of frustration. The whole Kickstarter infrastructure is very much a US focussed thing. The average boardgame project I've checked out has required substantially more investment up front than I would expect to pay in the shops for the same title, when you count international shipping and the 20% import tax I will have to pay when the product arrives.

The 'kickstarter only promo' thing is horrible for those of us who can't participate. Frankly, I'd love to fund more projects but the logistics involved in a home grown project make it infeasible, it's almost always 25-30% cheaper to just wait for the successful project to end up in shops here, but then you miss out on all the 'special club' exclusives that are unlikely to be available later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Listened to this episode on my drive to work, this morning, and just want to say that it's one of the best podcasts I've heard in a long time (apart from the bit about computer board games which I think needs a bit of work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Great podcast!

I actually like kickstarter a Lot Sometimes getting games over here takes a lot longer than in the States. So far the majority of games I've backed have been awesome e.g. Carnival, Pizza Theory, Ghost Pirates, D-Day Dice, Alien Frontiers. I've backed a lot of projects, and may need an intervention soon It's a lot of fun, and it gives us a way to get to talk with the designers, and also allow us to have some input in helping the game/project get made.

I saw this game recently "Penny Arcade's Paint The Line ECG: Red Tide" on kickstarter and I was also wondering since they're not asking for money to get this project made (it looks like it's already going to be made) should games like this be a kickstarter project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Brett
United Kingdom
North Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmb
scopa wrote:
Listened to this episode on my drive to work, this morning, and just want to say that it's one of the best podcasts I've heard in a long time (apart from the bit about computer board games which I think needs a bit of work).

Hi Keith, thanks for your feedback. As you seem to be able to tell I have never done any podcasting before. What do you feel I could do to make the slot better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N8_Ale wrote:
scopa wrote:

Hi Keith, thanks for your feedback. As you seem to be able to tell I have never done any podcasting before. What do you feel I could do to make the slot better?

If you are doing voices and music effects try to keep the sound effects on a low volume, my ears have to last at least 40 years more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and can we have the links to the Android build app and the other one you've mentioned on the podcast?

I did some dipping into android programming, I wanted to program one my games, but it takes a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unaware that there was a "trick" to Kickstarter. I pretty much understand it to be a process of dangling a golden carrot in front of me and then I throw money at it until I pass out.

Seems legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kickstarted some projects, and looked at some others and passed. Eminent Domain (which I like better than Scott does, but not by a lot) is a good example, the company had a track record (with Homesteaders) so I was pretty sure I was get something at least decent. Most (all?) of the games I have backed had some sort of track record. I've never pledged beyond the "get a copy of the game" level.

I'm not sure Steve Jackson counts as a big company, but in any case I was not upset with the Ogre campaign. I wasn't $100 interested in the game so I didn't back it. It was kinda fun to watch from the sidelines.

The computer segment was fine, other than the buzz in the audio.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great show guys, one of the best of the recent programs. In special for the disscussion about the Kick with different points of view.

By the way I could understand the ogre Kick edition, its and old game with fans that may want to put money for a deluxe edition. What I cant understand its the same rewards for a new game that no one has played yet and that maybe it would be a good idea but totally unplayable. Why would you like to have a deluxe edition of that? first try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
Great show guys, one of the best of the recent programs. In special for the disscussion about the Kick with different points of view.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this episode. I agree that differing opinions make more interesting content. And it's doubly cool when, while I don't agree with Scott, I still understand how he can feel the way he does and he has a rational argument.

Even if he's wrong. whistle

celacanto wrote:
By the way I could understand the ogre Kick edition, its and old game with fans that may want to put money for a deluxe edition. What I can't understand its the same rewards for a new game that no one has played yet and that maybe it would be a good idea but totally unplayable. Why would you like to have a deluxe edition of that? first try it.

I grief Steve Jackson, but I completely understand where you are coming from. If I were running SJG I'd probably use this opportunity to milk every old-school title. The fact they were willing to go-for-the-gold and produce a deluxe edition is interesting and what makes the OGRE re-release most appropriate for Kickstarter. By utilizing Kickstarter weren't going to lose money on the project, and it acted as an excellent gauge for demand. There is no way they would have been able to offer as many deluxe editions as they will now produce. And some of the rewards kicked ass as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N8_Ale wrote:
scopa wrote:

Humour is a tricky thing and I'm afraid that, for me, it just doesn't work in your segment. Having said it it's also very personal so you need feedback from a wider audience to say if it's a majority view or not.

I should add that although I'm against computer adaptions of board games, in principle, I also realise that it's the way things are moving. It was interesting that in a podcast where Scott made the point that even sitting players in the same room with a multi-player ipad version of a game meant that they interacted less that your section was included for the first time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Oh, and can we have the links to the Android build app and the other one you've mentioned on the podcast?

I did some dipping into android programming, I wanted to program one my games, but it takes a lot of time.

Just Google "App Inventor", you'll need to set up a Google account if you don't already have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Matthews
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comments below are intended with the utmost respect, and should not be read as an attack on anybody. I'm not sure how to better say what I'm saying below, but I do realize that it could be taken out of context without appropriate body language/tone of voice.

Now that the disclaimer is done. It seems to me that companies that produce board games (or any other product) in general want 2 things simultaneously.

1) To grow the overall amount spent yearly purchasing board games to increase.

2) To capture for themselves (within reason) as large a slice of that pie as possible.

This brings us to the question of do large game companies deprive smaller companies of sales by using kickstarter? Well, the larger companies sure hope so. (see point 2 above) It's called business... Whether or not they are successful is another question, that as stated in the episode probably cannot be easily determined.

The thing is the larger companies are in a bit of a bind. They can avoid kickstarter and risk it being a fundamental shift in the industry that causes their other sources of funding to dry up, or they can embrace it and risk it being a temporary fad, or causing customer backlash/dissatisfaction, or any number of other things. The smaller organizations that don't have options other than Kickstarter obviously don't even need to ask these questions.

Sorry, had to get that out. now to finish the rest of the episode.

BTW, the information about building apps was very useful. I'm in the early stages if looking into building an app for the organization I work for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just tried the "app inventor" and followed a tutorial or two. It really is very easy to build an App this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thogi wrote:
The comments below are intended with the utmost respect, and should not be read as an attack on anybody. I'm not sure how to better say what I'm saying below, but I do realize that it could be taken out of context without appropriate body language/tone of voice.

Having read what you had to say, I don't think there was anything there that could have been reasonably miss-interpreted as an attack. You didn't call my parentage into question or call me an idiot.

I agree with corporate goals, but that's true of any business. I still believe we are early enough in the process that big names are drawing in more participation to kickstarter. Because of this they are, though inadvertently, increasing the audience for smaller kickstarter start-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Matthews
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

Having read what you had to say, I don't think there was anything there that could have been reasonably miss-interpreted as an attack. You didn't call my parentage into question or call me an idiot.

My first draft was a bit more inflammatory, and also quite a bit redundant.

You are probably right that kickstarter is still on the upswing. The question is how long before it starts to level off? That's when we'll see the crunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, now I want to know what it said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.