Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I spoke with Torben (sp?) at Valley Games. Called them because their website seems to indicate that it's in stock (it's not, and he thanked me for bringing it to their attention). But he was extremely nice and open and friendly.

What he revealed, and I haven't seen any postings on this so I'm creating this one, is that they are actively trying to reprint Container (and its expansion). Notes:

- aiming for end of next year (2013), but may take longer. Still in early pre-production stages
- aware there is a following and demand for it
- reason they stopped printing Container was due to old printer/artist/etc. Major QC issues, had to throw out 9000 boxes at one point (mold, etc)!
- Currently looking for new talent, including sculptor to sculpt the ship bits. Like I said, very early but they are attempting to move it forward
- One of the major things they are focusing on is price. 80 dollars is a lot for a game, they want to bring it down. This can partially be done by finding talented and professional printers/artists/sculptors who don't charge a fortune
- this new edition would have components up to snuff, including the pimped out limited edition plastic containers which would be included in the base game

Instabuy for me.

*edit* sorry, I'm not informed as to what the limited edition containers actually were and how they differed from the originals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wood containers are cool. Plastic containers are just plastic.

shake

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
- aiming for end of next year (2013), but may take longer. Still in early pre-production stages

Excellent! That means my 11 year old could probably buy it new at the game shop when he starts college!

All kidding aside, it will be great for this excellent title to get more attention. Upgrade kits for us original edition buyers wouldn't be a bad idea, and may help with costs by justifying larger print runs for the expensive components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that's a long time! I posted this because:

1) It may curb some people's desire to buy this game used for high prices when they know they can buy a version with hopefully better components at a reasonable price, even if in the distant future. For example, I can wait and don't need to panic that I'll never get to play it unless I pay 150 dollars, and can instead play other games I own that need playing or buy games that make more economic/budgetary sense

2) People inevitably ask and noone has given anything approaching a concrete answer. Hopefully this thread will be informative to those who require this info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now now Moshe, what you really wanted to happen was for people to want to sell while the market was still hot, so that you could pick up a copy at less than the huge premium it demands now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why they need new art or sculpts for the containers. This is a very simple game, there is no need to fancy it up. I do wish they chose colorblind friendly colors and made sure that the colors matched throughout the box, but that's all they need to do.

I think its a very nice package as is -- anything beyond fixing those mistakes is utterly superfluous and I feel an unnecessary additional costand delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to paint my containers, but I don't want to mark up the cards. I guess that's pretty weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, repainting the containers was the first thing I did when I got container...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
I don't understand why they need new art or sculpts for the containers. This is a very simple game, there is no need to fancy it up. I do wish they chose colorblind friendly colors and made sure that the colors matched throughout the box, but that's all they need to do.

I think its a very nice package as is -- anything beyond fixing those mistakes is utterly superfluous and I feel an unnecessary additional costand delay.

I assumed that when he said sculptor, he meant producer. I don't think they're going to redesign the game like that..... the colors are a major complaint and he did tell me that they want to address the issues folks posted about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koenig
United States
Weston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Targeting end of 2013, but may take longer."

Seriously, it can't be that hard to reprint a game even with everything new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neiname wrote:

Yeah, not understanding why a primed money-pump shouldn't go to the front of the line. I guess that's why I'm not a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
neiname wrote:

Yeah, not understanding why a primed money-pump shouldn't go to the front of the line. I guess that's why I'm not a publisher.

You may be overestimating the popularity of Container.

Reprinting would probably be a piece of cake if the publisher had a good relation with a reliable printer. It seems that is far from the case here, so working out contracts, hitting price points, and arranging financing may be the big drags here. Other than a better material for the ships, and more color coordination, the game needs little change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
Jythier wrote:
neiname wrote:

You may be overestimating the popularity of Container.

Reprinting would probably be a piece of cake if the publisher had a good relation with a reliable printer. It seems that is far from the case here, so working out contracts, hitting price points, and arranging financing may be the big drags here. Other than a better material for the ships, and more color coordination, the game needs little change.

I overestimate demand when PLAYING Container as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I overestimate demand when PLAYING Container as well.

Not possible, Cause its such an AWESOME game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, maybe now is a good time to solicit ideas for a third expansion from our fans? What sort of mechanics would you like to see added to make this game even better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well D-Day Dice seems like a success for Valley Games using the Kickstarter model. Professional printing and shipped much quicker than most other Kickstarter projects. Why not use that model to foster capital for the project? Besides updated art, there really isn't much to the game. The sculpts before where perfectly shaped, just a weird material that chipped easily. That should be an easy fix. Valley Games has some great titles that seem to have been plagued by long delays and bad QC. Container seems like an easy game to 'flip' and get back into the market to generate capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

If they don't want to repaint the containers, they could print icons or symbols onto them which would distinguish them. Personally, I repainted my resin containers and kept the wooden ones as-is to show others WHY I had to repaint mine.

As for the ship scuplts, they don't need new ones. They just need to learn how to wrap them for shipment properly so they don't bang together and chip or break. (And for a game based on shipping goods, they missed the boat here...)

One last thing. They need to answer email. My copy didn't have instructions in it and I never received any response from them. Thankfully, they were online but for buyers who didn't know that it must be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:
OK, maybe now is a good time to solicit ideas for a third expansion from our fans? What sort of mechanics would you like to see added to make this game even better?

You mean second expansion? (Third shipment?)

I don't see the need. The first expansion already makes mostly no sense, aside from the neat player driven loan system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:

Two ideas:

1.) Open Auctions: each player recieves one token called their "open auction" token that, when played, requires the auction for that shipment to be open hand, with the possibility of increasing bids.

Designer Notes: I never tried this, but thought about it one day. If you know a dynamite shipment is coming to the island that you just HAVE to have, this will allow you a greater chance to win it.

2.) Variable Container Values: issue blank container value sheets where, before the game, each player rights down the value of containers depending on what colors they like. Thus, multiple players may assign orange as their highest value, or they may all end up different.

Designer Notes: this does two things. It makes it nearly impossible to track what value is on each person's card (which may or may not detract from the strategy of the game) and it also makes it so that multiple players may fight more for certain containers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
caius wrote:

You mean second expansion? (Third shipment?)

I don't see the need. The first expansion already makes mostly no sense, aside from the neat player driven loan system.

You don't like the luxury containers? I bought it for that and the loan cards, but the monopoly rules are pretty cool too, reducing the number of certain types of factories in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
2.) Variable Container Values: issue blank container value sheets where, before the game, each player rights down the value of containers depending on what colors they like. Thus, multiple players may assign orange as their highest value, or they may all end up different.

Designer Notes: this does two things. It makes it nearly impossible to track what value is on each person's card (which may or may not detract from the strategy of the game) and it also makes it so that multiple players may fight more for certain containers.

That latter property is rather unattractive. It would seem to screw the players who by bad luck happen to highly value the same color and reward the players who by good luck happen to highly value a color no one else particularly wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really like Container the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do too. But he did ask for ideas so I threw some out. Sounds like throwing them out might have been a good idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
I do too. But he did ask for ideas so I threw some out. Sounds like throwing them out might have been a good idea too.

Hey, you're a couple ideas ahead of me. So if there's a competition, you've got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They also need to make sure the money/loans/valuations cards fit inside one of the standard dimensioned sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.