Battles of Westeros: Brotherhood Without Banners» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lion's lessons - Thorn In The Paw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thorn in the paw? More like a goddamn stake through the heart…

This was our setup, Adam feeling still shiny, waiting for the day:

I started with my heavy infantry into the building, cause i figured cover and heavy
armor was nice, and securing points of interest couldnt be that bad. Well, my guys
got torn into pieces faster then i could say “flanking attack”. My other infantry
attacked some archers, but got driven off by brotherhood riders afterwards. Adam
sent some cavalry to secure the crossing, and thats round one.

And that is when the killing began, followed by a light salad. Run down is just
like “well i did hit you, and now i will get extra hits for riding you down, and then
i will attack right again, so my friends can flank you, and kill the unit, and ride
through some other guys, and get another attack.”

After losing Kevan and all archers i felt like i should sneak past with my own
cavalry, but the brotherhood never sleeps, you know, so they kinda caught me.
Some other chevaliers attacked archers, just to cause any harm at all, and in
a blink all the other Stark guys were right there.

First of all: Those archers rolled one die and did get their freaking red result
before my infantry could kill them and at least force one cav unit to head east.
Sir flank-a-lot launched a nice attack and killed two units, but then Beric was
there, and yeah, did i mention how broken run down is?

The board after round three:

Yeah, that’s correct, one unit left.

Well, round 4 was, huh, Stark got all objectives, killed my last unit and routed
me. I am so frightened of the brotherhood right now, i will insist on replaying
some other scenario before we move on to number 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been waiting for you guys to get started on the Brotherhood to see how those scenarios work out (really looking forward to the one that uses the other expansions as well).

How much luck did the Starks have? Did run down create a massacare on just average dice rolls?

Also with the screenshots in general, the armies look awsome fully painted like that, but it is really hard to tell the two sides apart from an above (arial) angle. Pictures taken slightly from the side rather then fully above would be easier to read (banners) and show off the troops in their painted glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of those curious about the broken-ness of the Brotherhood. Run Down seems great, but doesn't that just increase the need to stay Stalwart against Units with Run Down? They have to trigger Pursue to use it, of course.

Anyway, please play more Brotherhood scenarios.

P.S. I'm in Zwenkau, a little village near Leipzig. So far, we've just been relaxing in the Autumn weather (It's over 90 degrees Fahrenheit back in Wisconsin).

I'm a little busy helping to take care of the kids, ages 5 and 1, but I've been thinking of you guys and how great it would be to play several games of Battles of Westeros and drink a few beers with you guys.

Hope all is well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
How much luck did the Starks have? Did run down create a massacare on just average dice rolls?

Not that much. I rolled better than average in round 1 against the heavy infantry in the building, but after that, it was quite normal.

But I don't think that run down was the big problem - it's just one automatic hit on a pursue. Nice, but not game-changing. But Pursue 3 combined with the very flexible activation rules make the Knights extremely mobile and variable. That makes it hard to protect all your units. I don't think that the other brotherhood units will be equally effective.

BTW, I had rather bad command cards in the first round (2 x command 2, 1 rally all), so I was rather limited in whom I could command. The Greatjon, for example, did not contribute to the victory at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
P.S. I'm in Zwenkau, a little village near Leipzig. So far, we've just been relaxing in the Autumn weather (It's over 90 degrees Fahrenheit back in Wisconsin).

I'm a little busy helping to take care of the kids, ages 5 and 1, but I've been thinking of you guys and how great it would be to play several games of Battles of Westeros and drink a few beers with you guys.

That would be great! Hmm, 275 kilometers. Hope we can arrange something.

BTW. We were unsure how Beric's fire ability should work. Jan an me think that placing a fire token would mostly interfere with Pursue (and thus Run Down) so we ignored it when it came up. Waiting for a reply from Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argwinkle wrote:
KenToad wrote:

That would be great! Hmm, 275 kilometers. Hope we can arrange something.

BTW. We were unsure how Beric's fire ability should work. Jan an me think that placing a fire token would mostly interfere with Pursue (and thus Run Down) so we ignored it when it came up. Waiting for a reply from Rob.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of how the fire sword ability would interact with Pursue. I bet Rob is extremely busy with GenCon preparations. As for the ruling, I guess that it's treated as normal Fire and so blocks Pursue. However, the Unit in Fire would suffer hits when forced to Retreat. I need to double-check the rules, but I don't think you place Fire if the Unit is eliminated or forced to Retreat.

I'll talk to my wife about traveling. Originally I had thought that we might visit Eilsleben, which is sort of on the way to you guys, but now I think that we will stay here, as that part of the family will visit us here next week. However, there is still the train. Also, I understand 60-75% of German, but really don't speak it. I "learned" French in school. Silly me.

I'll be in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Yeah, I hadn't thought of how the fire sword ability would interact with Pursue. I bet Rob is extremely busy with GenCon preparations. As for the ruling, I guess that it's treated as normal Fire and so blocks Pursue. However, the Unit in Fire would suffer hits when forced to Retreat.

I've posted the answer in the Rules section.

Quote:
I'll talk to my wife about traveling. Originally I had thought that we might visit Eilsleben, which is sort of on the way to you guys, but now I think that we will stay here, as that part of the family will visit us here next week. However, there is still the train. Also, I understand 60-75% of German, but really don't speak it. I "learned" French in school. Silly me.

Looking at the torrents of rain outside, being able to swim seems a more important survival trait than speaking German right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will make sure to take pictures from the side next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.