Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I play WSIM on YouPlay.It.com which I discovered through the Web Links listed below. For the last several days I have been unable to connect with their server.

Is anybody else having these issues?

I don`t like to think that the games I am in are just hanging for want of my input and that my opponents may be getting annoyed with me when it`s not my fault.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Nigel66
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a "The server crashed and we are working to recover from disaster." error message.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now says:

The server crashed and we are rebuilding it from scratch.

We are reconfiguring all the system to let the site be fully oprational as soon as possible.

Stay tuned.

Also, if you take off the ".com" and just use "youplay.it" you can see the same message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mr. Gallo.

Hope to see you on there when it`s fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if I could get past my revulsion of online gaming you just might. I still prefer face-to-face play and am fortunate to have some opponents within 45 minutes. Not that any of them play WS&IM any more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean about prefering FTF. Unfortnately my group tends to look on my suggestions with deep suspicion. We are all middle aged and they grumble about learning curves and complexity so I am forced o look toward VASSAL and lighter sites like YouPlay.It.com.

We`ve been playing "Magic: The Gathering" on a weekly basis for over 12 years now and that adds one or two new mechanics/rules per set. A very easy pace. It`s a case of, `they now what they like and they like what they know`. I still love the game too but I would like to branch out a bit. Try something different on a non-cards night.

I`ve only managed to persuade one of them to try wargaming so far. He seems to enjoy it (provided I learn all the rules before hand and teach him as we go.) If he communicates his enjoyment of it over cards one evening then maybe I`ll get more interest from the others and something like WSIM might hit the able for some FTF.

It`s going to be a long road though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that does sound rough. Good luck with that. Maybe if you hint to their wives that wargaming is cheaper they will get the "two barrel" hint and take up a new hobby?

Is there a hobby shop or game club nearby? Those sound like better places to recruit war gamers than a M;tG group. No offense to M:tG but there ere ally does seem to be a different mindset and skill set between the two hobbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That may be part of the problem. We`ve all invested time and money into MTG over many years and nobody wants to see that investment left by the wayside. We now play every Tuesday night for about 4 hours and get in between 2 and 4 games. We only ever play 4-player-muliplayer and quite often the games become very convoluted, finely balanced epics where you have to climb your way up a decision tree to victory.

I wouldn`t want to give that up. It is, after all, the glue that`s kept four middle-aged friends seeing and talkng with each other (about wives, lives, prospects and set-backs) for over a decade.

But I just have this yearning toward ConSims.

I now meet up wih one of them on Sunday nights and (along with "Court of the Medici" [excellent!], "Talisman" [naff] and "Zombies" [not really a two-player game]) we have played "Kaiser`s Pirates" and "Night Drop".

KP brought war to the table and ND showed him the direction I want to push toward. I plan on a couple more games of ND by which time Battles Magazine will have brought out "On Pegasus Wings". Thematically similiar (small hours of 06/06/44), small scale and low counter density.

After that who knows? (Any suggestions?) I want to build up to something that will fill our four hour slot. Back in the early eighties we used to play a lot of "Car Wars" which is manoeuvre and shoot on a grid. After ND an OPW he should be used to hexes for manoeuvre and shoot - at which point I`ll introduce WSIM.

If necessary - like you suggest - I`ll find a club.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Good luck with your own gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem - It is always nice to try and help a gamer in need. Have you looked at Memoir'44 or Battlelore? The hand management might appeal to him. There are also many good card driven war-games (we just finished a rousing four player Sword of Rome last month) that might fit your group?

I just got Night Drop but have not looked at it.

I have not played Car Wars for YEARS. Terrific game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That`s not a bad idea.

"Circus Minimus" by Dean Essig is a lot like "Car Wars" and I could possibly parlay that up to "Sword of Rome" or "Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage".

Worth a try I think. A bit of `Ben Hur` blood-n-guts.

I really enjoyed "Night Drop". Cute game. If you`re playing the Germans eliminate the scattered sticks early on by over-stacking, drowning or pushing off the map. If the American player gets too many full-strength companies together it`s hard to hold (or take) the high-VP hexes late in the game.

I read somewhere that Steve Jackson was thinking about doing a modern, deluxe "Car Wars" if the "Ogre" reboot was a success. Let`s hope so. Nostalgia would certainly get "Car Wars" on the table for my group. Who knows, one day I might even survive a `boot-legger reverse`.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My most memorable bootlegger was through a motorcycle gang. My driver did not survive but the gunner did. For a turn.

I am a little afraid of a new Car Wars. I like the 10 phase system and was never comfortable with 5 and never liked 3.

If chariot racing does not get their wargaming blood flowing I say get a new group!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
If chariot racing does not get their wargaming blood flowing I say get a new group!whistle

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country area north of Rome
flag msg tools
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
For your information on the 6th Nick, on FaceBook, posted the following:

Quote:

Hi all,
I'm back from a two weeks holiday. During this period I was not able to connect, but I managed to recover all data from the backup files I've downloaded from the crashed server.
I'm currently working on a brand new server and I need some more time to
reconfigure all the services that were installed on the previous server.
I hope to finish in 2/3 days.

Thanks for your patience,
Nick.

For your further information, to support YouPlay.It I've opened the BGG guild YouPlayers Union
I hope that these info will be useful for you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things are moving up click here to get further info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

YouPlay.It is back.

On the log in page you find the following note:
Quote:
Dear youplayers,

We are back!! It was a long dark night, but now is over.

We had experienced a severe server disaster that forced us to recreate the system from scratch. Lucky enough we were able to restore all the data and all the web pages. We reinstalled everything on a renewed server and reconfigured everything.

Some functions are disabled, to avoid problems with this big time gap. For example no one will be moved automatically from the system for some times. This will allow everyone involved in games to restart playing it. We think that the automove subsystem will be re-enabled by September 1st.

It was a big lesson in therms of technical skills, patience and human relationship. We'd like to thank the many persons that supported us and urged us not to not give up. Many times it seemed that everything was lost, but it wasn't, after all.

Your Webmasters.

Then, through a FaceBook note, Nick said this:
Quote:

Your open game will reappear when it is your turn. The long down period triggered the 'hide inactive games' function

For any other support to YouPlay.It there is the BGG guild YouPlayers Union that I've opened some time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.