Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really understood the draw random 2-5 cards from your battle deck.

My suggestion would be to just have the choice of picking from any cards you want. however you can only use 1 support in each round unless you use all remaining cards from your battle deck.

For example if you draw 8 cards you look at the cards and pick any 2-5 from them to use in the first battle round.
If you drew 3 support cards you could only use one of them in your first round. If you used 5 cards in the first round and the remaining 3 in the second you could now use both support cards in the second round.

I think the batlles will be much more tactical this way and less random when you draw bigger numbers of cards. Also there would now be a guessing game between defence and attacking players. Ecsape would be a viable option for those who would be sure to be defeated. However there will be almost no involuntary retreats anymore.
Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
lexen wrote:
I never really understood the draw random 2-5 cards from your battle deck.

My suggestion would be to just have the choice of picking from any cards you want. however you can only use 1 support in each round unless you use all remaining cards from your battle deck.

For example if you draw 8 cards you look at the cards and pick any 2-5 from them to use in the first battle round.
If you drew 3 support cards you could only use one of them in your first round. If you used 5 cards in the first round and the remaining 3 in the second you could now use both support cards in the second round.

I think the batlles will be much more tactical this way and less random when you draw bigger numbers of cards. Also there would now be a guessing game between defence and attacking players. Ecsape would be a viable option for those who would be sure to be defeated. However there will be almost no involuntary retreats anymore.
Any thoughts would be apreciated.

From the sound of it, you have original Phantom League. The Mostly Harmless offers a slightly patches version much along the lines of your suggestion, where as Pilot Academy offers completely new (and way more tactical) battle system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I missed something,

In the mostly harmless variant rules it does not mention anything in the sense of being able to choose any cards.
The rules explain a different way of drawing cards but not a different way of using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
lexen wrote:
Maybe I missed something,

In the mostly harmless variant rules it does not mention anything in the sense of being able to choose any cards.
The rules explain a different way of drawing cards but not a different way of using them.

The original system suggested 2-5 randomly drawn card to be used as your round. Now in Mostly Harmless, instead of randomly drawing cards for you to play, you SELECT which of the cards from your hand cards you play each round.

I hope that pilot academy rulebook becomes available soon (has been submitted a long time ago). It'll offer completely new battle system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The original system suggested 2-5 randomly drawn card to be used as your round. Now in Mostly Harmless, instead of randomly drawing cards for you to play, you SELECT which of the cards from your hand cards you play each round.

Can someone please tell me where in the rulebook this is explained?

On page 28 under deadlier battles: it does explain how to change the drawing of the cards however not the way for playing of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lavenant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Page 13 of Mostly Harmless rule book :
"Each player chooses 2 to 5 cards secretly from his battle deck..."

Deadlier battles is only a variant (not to my taste, btw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.