Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1» Forums » General

Subject: Memoir 44 Campaign Book Volume 1 worth the price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niall Clarke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am new to Boardgamegeek and only joined because I recently inherited a bunch of Memoir 44 stuff and have really fallen in love with the game. I wanted to find out what else it available for this great game and a search lead me here.

The Campaign Book Volume 1 is currently listed on Ebay for $35. Looking at prices here and on other Ebay listings, I imagine the price will probably go up. My question is, is it really worth the price that this book will probably sell for? I want to do more with this game and will likely end up purchasing all of the expansions that are still available. It seems like this book will introduce a lot to the game. Should I go for it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niall wrote:
I am new to Boardgamegeek and only joined because I recently inherited a bunch of Memoir 44 stuff and have really fallen in love with the game. I wanted to find out what else it available for this great game and a search lead me here.

The Campaign Book Volume 1 is currently listed on Ebay for $35. Looking at prices here and on other Ebay listings, I imagine the price will probably go up. My question is, is it really worth the price that this book will probably sell for? I want to do more with this game and will likely end up purchasing all of the expansions that are still available. It seems like this book will introduce a lot to the game. Should I go for it?

There is a Campaign Book Vol. 2 out now. But you should start off with more of the basic expansions - like Eastern Front, Pacific Theater, etc. Maybe that is what you have now. Most of these will be required with the campaign books anyway.

But back to the original question, $35 does not seem a lot for this book. I would have expected it to be going for a lot higher. I paid $24 for mine brand new when it first came out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Clarke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Niall wrote:
I am new to Boardgamegeek and only joined because I recently inherited a bunch of Memoir 44 stuff and have really fallen in love with the game. I wanted to find out what else it available for this great game and a search lead me here.

The Campaign Book Volume 1 is currently listed on Ebay for $35. Looking at prices here and on other Ebay listings, I imagine the price will probably go up. My question is, is it really worth the price that this book will probably sell for? I want to do more with this game and will likely end up purchasing all of the expansions that are still available. It seems like this book will introduce a lot to the game. Should I go for it?

There is a Campaign Book Vol. 2 out now. But you should start off with more of the basic expansions - like Eastern Front, Pacific Theater, etc. Maybe that is what you have now. Most of these will be required with the campaign books anyway.

But back to the original question, $35 does not seem a lot for this book. I would have expected it to be going for a lot higher. I paid $24 for mine brand new when it first came out.



Yes, I was given more than Memoir '44. I also received Eastern Front, Mediterranean Theater, Overlord, Terrain Pack, Tigers in the Snow, and Winter Wars. So I should pick up a copy of Pacific Theater too if I decide to get this book?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niall wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Niall wrote:
I am new to Boardgamegeek and only joined because I recently inherited a bunch of Memoir 44 stuff and have really fallen in love with the game. I wanted to find out what else it available for this great game and a search lead me here.

The Campaign Book Volume 1 is currently listed on Ebay for $35. Looking at prices here and on other Ebay listings, I imagine the price will probably go up. My question is, is it really worth the price that this book will probably sell for? I want to do more with this game and will likely end up purchasing all of the expansions that are still available. It seems like this book will introduce a lot to the game. Should I go for it?

There is a Campaign Book Vol. 2 out now. But you should start off with more of the basic expansions - like Eastern Front, Pacific Theater, etc. Maybe that is what you have now. Most of these will be required with the campaign books anyway.

But back to the original question, $35 does not seem a lot for this book. I would have expected it to be going for a lot higher. I paid $24 for mine brand new when it first came out.



Yes, I was given more than Memoir '44. I also received Eastern Front, Mediterranean Theater, Overlord, Terrain Pack, Tigers in the Snow, and Winter Wars. So I should pick up a copy of Pacific Theater too if I decide to get this book?

You will need Pacific for Vol 2. I looked at ebay. the $35 is just an early bid. Another auction is going for $95 and the market place here has them for well over $100.

However, you have a lot of stuff already. You could play that for several years and still have plenty of variety. If you get on Days of Wonder's website, you can download even more scenarios.

This is my all time favorite game and I own everything for it. But I haven't even gotten to a point of playing the campaign books because I am still working my way through all the other stuff. And that is with over 200 plays.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Clarke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You will need Pacific for Vol 2. I looked at ebay. the $35 is just an early bid. Another auction is going for $95 and the market place here has them for well over $100.

However, you have a lot of stuff already. You could play that for several years and still have plenty of variety. If you get on Days of Wonder's website, you can download even more scenarios.

This is my all time favorite game and I own everything for it. But I haven't even gotten to a point of playing the campaign books because I am still working my way through all the other stuff. And that is with over 200 plays.


Ya, I guess my concern is, if this book is out of print will other expansions go out of print too? Like I saw that the one with airplanes is also out of print. I would rather grab what is still available now, while I still can, and maybe even score this book on Ebay for less that the going price you mentioned as long as lots of people don't know about it and bid up the price.

I went to Days of Wonder's site and saw that they have an online version of Memoir 44 too. I might have to try that out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is and will remain out of print is hard to decipher. The Air Pack was the most polarizing expansion and that is obvious why it went by the wayside. But it had a lot of pertinent info - like all of the summary cards for the vast majority of units and a nice clean scenario book of all official scenarios to that point, conveniently revised to incorporate as much of the rules issued to that point. DOW has been crystal clear that the Air pack is dead but they will look for ways to reintroduce the other material from that expansion.

Why CB Vol. 1 is OOP is truly baffling to me. Especially since it was basically a book and they were able to produce Vol 2. most recently. So costs/production issues doesn't seem an excuse and it is very popular. So this is a mystery unless I missed some key announcement about it.

The campaign bag was hated by most and only contains a paper map that is basically replaced by the Breakthrough expansion anyway. Not a big loss there. People couldn't slash the price low enough to get rid of it and now that it is gone. of course it is fetching a premium.

Overlord is another that falls into the baffling category but I thought this was announced it was only a temporary OOP issue (that has happened periodically - mostly with the Winter/Desert Board and some of the staple expansions). It used to be a free print and play but the actual double-deck that describes the exact function of the cards was a great addition to the game.

The campaign maps were another love-hate thing. DOW cancelling them so quickly tells me they felt more hate than they let on. Hedgerow Hell is OOP with one other, maybe Tigers. But all of the pieces that were in these maps are now part of the soon to be released Equipment Pack. So all you are missing is the pre-printed scenarios that can be made from existing expansions anyway.

So my long winded point, is grab what you can while you can. But I wouldn't pay $100+ for the campaign book as it will most likely be released in some form eventually (most likely a pdf on the website). But if you can get them for reasonable prices, do so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I looked at ebay. the $35 is just an early bid. Another auction is going for $95 and the market place here has them for well over $100.


Brian - I don't know if it's the same one you were talking about in this post, but the one on eBay just sold for $182 surprise

I've enjoyed my couple of plays of Memoir 44, but if prices on this, the Memoir '44: Air Pack and the rest of the stuff keep escalating, I may have to sell the whole damn lot of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Clarke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
Brian - I don't know if it's the same one you were talking about in this post, but the one on eBay just sold for $182 surprise

I've enjoyed my couple of plays of Memoir 44, but if prices on this, the Memoir '44: Air Pack and the rest of the stuff keep escalating, I may have to sell the whole damn lot of it.


There's still one more copy up on Ebay and it is currently selling for a lot less than $182, though it still has about four days left to bid. I may still try to get this one as I really want this book. There's just so much good information in it! And 50 scenarios! I know...I already have a lot that will keep me busy for a long time but I am one who likes to get the complete set of whatever I am interested in.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I looked at ebay. the $35 is just an early bid. Another auction is going for $95 and the market place here has them for well over $100.


Brian - I don't know if it's the same one you were talking about in this post, but the one on eBay just sold for $182 surprise

I've enjoyed my couple of plays of Memoir 44, but if prices on this, the Memoir '44: Air Pack and the rest of the stuff keep escalating, I may have to sell the whole damn lot of it.


I'm sorry, but $182 for this book is just insane. Although if you can get people to fork-out that kind of change I guess that's what it's worth. If it's THAT much in demand then DOW should take advantage of that and reprint it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.