Popular Tags: DESCENT [+] [View All]
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone.

Having recently picked up Descent 2nd Ed. (and loving the hell out of it), I see how it would be a fairly simple matter to make custom quests... But it will be even better to make full custom campaigns like the Shadow Rune included in the core set. It will be even cooler if it includes custom classes, no?

Any of you who are familiar with my work with the LOTR LCG will know that I'm big into the custom scenario scene. I will definitely be making some custom quests for Descent. My question is this: would you guys be interested in a full custom campaign, complete with a new class per archetype? If you're worried about balance issues you can obviously ignore the classes. I guess I'm just trying to feel around to see if there would be support for that kind of thing here.

Lemme know. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
My question is this: would you guys be interested in a full custom campaign, complete with a new class per archetype?

Who could possibly say "No"?!?!
Heck Yeah!

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morbaus Litchsmack
msg tools
ummmmmmmmm......yeah!!!!!!!!!
I love that you are already even asking this question!
Im interested! 666 modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget custom campaign event cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, awesome. I'm glad there's this kind of support.

I'm going to see if I can get somebody who knows what the F they're doing with Photoshop to make some templates so I can make my own cards (Strangeeons would work too). I'm pretty decent at game design, but less so at photoshop.

I have some preliminary ideas for Classes, but if anybody has some suggestions, be my guest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea I had for the classes were hybrid classes that can be used by two archetypes.

For example:

Ranger - Warrior/Scout. Focus on dual-wielding and luring enemies into traps (mechanically, being able to force monsters to move).
Paladin - Warrior/Healer. Buffing ally's defense and smiting enemies.
Battlemage - Warrior/Mage. Able to use runes while in heavy armor, and gets bonuses if fighting in melee.
Druid - Scout/Healer. Able to buff allies and shapeshift into several different forms.

Ok, I can't really think of anything cool for the Scout/Mage and Healer/Mage hybrids offhand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, hybrid classes are a definite go-to idea, but I think for my first bunch of things I wanted to do something more basic, I don't want to bend the formula they've got going too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doran

Westland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your ideas and look forward to trying all of them!

I'm fooling around with an encounter using the sea of blood descent 1 expansion and have house ruled some ship skills.

Swing on ropes: test willpower to attempt swinging and roll 1 blue die for distance and success (x fall in water)

Fighting on mast: 1 hand must be free at all times

A Swashbuckler could roll a Blue and yellow for distance and use 2 hands for mast fighting. Also steering the ship and firing cannons could be additional skills.

These are pretty encounter specific skills so you may want to hire a swashbuckler for a specific encounter as an NPC if you have less than 4 heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
Sethala wrote:
One idea I had for the classes were hybrid classes that can be used by two archetypes.

For example:

Ranger - Warrior/Scout. Focus on dual-wielding and luring enemies into traps (mechanically, being able to force monsters to move).
Paladin - Warrior/Healer. Buffing ally's defense and smiting enemies.
Battlemage - Warrior/Mage. Able to use runes while in heavy armor, and gets bonuses if fighting in melee.
Druid - Scout/Healer. Able to buff allies and shapeshift into several different forms.

Ok, I can't really think of anything cool for the Scout/Mage and Healer/Mage hybrids offhand.

Scout/Mage could be a mix of the Runemaster and Wildlander who uses bows to deliver status ailments.

Healer/Mage would be a Witch. Don't know what Niche I would give them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
need some help for campaign / classes ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of now I have all four of my classes finished. If you haven't seen them yet, here are the links:

The Shadowdancer

The Illusionist

The Shaman

The Reaver

As for the campaign, I still intend to finish it, but the going's been slow to due real life issues. It's coming, though! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Looking forward to this, despite the fact that I just got my copy yesterday night. Needless to say I'm loving this a WHOLE lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonhanz wrote:
Looking forward to this, despite the fact that I just got my copy yesterday night. Needless to say I'm loving this a WHOLE lot.

Thanks! It means a lot to hear that. Keep your eyes peeled, I'm working on my campaign now and progress is coming smoothly. I'll keep the thread updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I looked at what you've done with the classes and am blown away. I'm inspired enough to actually try to get these printed on something acceptable. Can we do this through artscow?

I can't wait to see what you come up with in terms of a campaign!

Subscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timmontana wrote:
WOW! I looked at what you've done with the classes and am blown away. I'm inspired enough to actually try to get these printed on something acceptable. Can we do this through artscow?

I can't wait to see what you come up with in terms of a campaign!

Subscribed

Thanks! I have some really cool campaign ideas. It's going to take a bit of time, but I intend to basically add new *everything*. A few new heroes, a new Overlord class, new shop cards, a couple new search cards, too.

As for artscow, unfortunately, I don't think they have the correct card size to print these out properly. Trust me, I've thought about it (I use artscow for my custom Lord of the Rings LCG scenarios). That being, said, I'm uploading a PDF to the files section you can print out and cut out. It's not the best, but since most of these cards don't need to be shuffled into a deck, you can use a lot of them without the proper card backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone.

I am hard at work at what has become more like an expansion than a straight-up campaign. It will include a full length campaign, as well all other things I've created thus far - basically new cards in almost every category.

My question is this:

Would you rather I released things as they finished, or waited until it was all finished to release one HUGE update?

Let me know which you'd rather have. I'm almost done with the Act I quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enric portell
msg tools
mbmbmb
hey! first, thanks for all your effort. I can't wait to see your work, hehe.

second. Maybe it would be better to release the work you've done so far. Probably people here will notice some unbalanced things, or have some ideas to continue your adventure (brainstorming is nice for inspiration), but it's up to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenrick Marlowe
France
flag msg tools
Someone else has made a new campaign (The Silken Threads), keeping people updated as he/she posted quests every now and then as they were being made. I think this is a great idea, since it not only keeps forumgoers entertained, gives regular visibility (since the topic gets bumped all the way up) and also allows readers to find and comment on spelling errors, obscure explanations, and obvious balance issues.

Just my two coppers, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and I agree completely. I have some things going on in real life that may or may not interrupt my work on Descent, so I'll have some news soon... Be it an update or something more. I'll keep you guys posted. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starburst Q
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Just came across this thread (as I bought the game recently and am now searching for other quests/campaigns). Was your campaign ever finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.