Rio de Janeiro
Tales and Legends: The Great Curse
Yes this card may be difficult to interpret.
Basically, when this card comes into play, consider that all active Special Powers go in decline. In-decline Races/Powers
are not affected.
- A Spirit active Race that chooses to go in decline this turn won't be able to use the "Spirit" effect. (a Spirit Race that
is already in decline is not affected).
- Fortresses remain on the board and still provide defensive bonuses. However, a Fortified Race cannot build any new
Fortress this turn. It does not score extra VPs for the Fortresses that were already built (exactly as if the Race were in
- It still costs 3 VP to bypass the "Cursed" Race.
- A Seafaring race can no longer conquer Sea regions. Tokens may be left in these regions though (exactly as is the Race
were in decline).
- A Bivouacking Race can no longer use its encampments this turn.
- The two "Hordes Of" tokens cannot be used this turn.
What about this:
I'm the last player in turn order.
I have a Bivouacking Gypsies, get 5 regions, place encampments.
The Great Curse kicks in. All my encampments are now useless and don't provide the +1 Defense (is this correct?), but the tokens stay on the board.
I leave all my regions (putting the coins as usual per the Gypsies power), and remove the encampments.
I, then conquer 6 regions and CAN'T place new encampments, since they can only be placed in my turn, and in this particular turn, my Special Power is useless.
Did we play this right?
Basically, if you happen to be the last player, have Bivouacking and somehow you remove the encampments (be it by leaving the board and re-entering or because of some power), you essentially get screwed two whole turns with a single card. That's nasty! Razz
Are you required to remove the Bivouacking encampments at the start of the turn when under The Great Curse? Or can you leave them there, even if powerless?
- Last edited Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:25 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:23 am
Will Provide Statistics for Data
Noone answered your query, so I'll make a hacking stab at answering it.
Sounds like you played it right.
The seafaring clarification explicitly states one can leave tokens already in the sea regions. So this implies, that existing structures need not be removed, when their power is lost.
And the Bivouacking (from player aid) says
Each turn you may break camp and settle in any new Region you occupy.
So it's optional to break camp, and placed structures need not be removed via the card effect. So you could leave them. However, being Gypsies, and getting VP for abandoning regions you're kinda hosed. This card stalls this combo in a harsh way.
- Last edited Tue May 7, 2013 3:19 am (Total Number of Edits: 3)
- Posted Tue May 7, 2013 3:17 am