$10.00
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks!

So, I played A Game of Thrones once and really enjoyed it. And now that they have a glitzed-out 2nd edition with various aspects of prior expansions folded in, I had a mild concern.

Can the 2nd edition be played without the expansions? Basically, can I play the same steamlined 1st edition game, with maybe any tweaks included for balancing? I liked the relatively streamlined rules the first time I played it, and I don't want too much clutter required to be thrown into that game.

Any advice is appreciated! And thanks in advance for helping me choose between one edition vs. the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well without printing stuff out, you have only the 2nd edition house cards, the six player map, and the 2nd edition westeros decks.

Other than that though, there is nothing stopping you from removing components like siege engines and garrisons or ignoring any of the 2nd edition rule changes.

I'm not sure what I would recommend though, except maybe try the game without siege engines or the mustering order. Most of the rule changes are just different, not more complicated. The only expansion rule that really complicated things was ports, but they are a pretty good addition. I could see leaving them out of a teaching game, but for a competetive game they are definately an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
Well without printing stuff out, you have only the 2nd edition house cards, the six player map, and the 2nd edition westeros decks.

Other than that though, there is nothing stopping you from removing components like siege engines and garrisons or ignoring any of the 2nd edition rule changes.

I'm not sure what I would recommend though, except maybe try the game without siege engines or the mustering order. Most of the rule changes are just different, not more complicated. The only expansion rule that really complicated things was ports, but they are a pretty good addition. I could see leaving them out of a teaching game, but for a competetive game they are definately an improvement.

Thanks for the fast response!

My ignorance was assuming that the expansions were of the "throw more stuff" variety. (More units! More event cards! New orders!). Those types of expansions don't always float my boat. but if they are instead patches or tweaks to gameplay without adding much complexity, then that might nudge me in the direction of the 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kakaris Maelstrom
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd only played 1st edition base set years ago.

When I played 2nd edition, I didn't realize there were differences until someone showed them to me. The siege engines should have been a dead giveaway of course... but the point is the changes are mostly little positive tweaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Compared to 1st edition base game, 2nd edition has mostly small rule changes, a selection of features from the 1st edition expansions, the only new things are the optional Tides of Battle cards and some cards are different.

Assuming by 1st edition you mean only the base game, new features in the 2nd edition for you will be:
- garrisons - they defend starting territory, very simple rules
- siege engines - stronger attack against castles, simple rules
- ports - they fix a rather serious issue of the 1st edition base game by providing a place where to keep ships, the rules aren't very difficult, but they are explained in a complicated way (seach the forums here for 'ports explained in four rules' or so)
- wildling cards - instead of hardcoded result of wildling attacks, there is a choice of several results, simple rules
- Tides of Battle cards - they randomly add to strength in combat, simple rules
- special consolidate power order - can be used to muster new forces, simple rule.

I think that's it, but maybe I've missed something small. You can remove any of these from the game without missing anything crucial, although ports really should be used, and some of these changes can make the game more interesting. But at the core it's about the same game.

That said, 2nd edition does play somewhat differently.

It is more bloody and aggressive, as there are several changes that favor aggression:
- house cards are much more powerful (in abilities), and there's no good defense against many (I'd call that poorly thought out, although it may be intentional), leaving hitting back as the only viable "defense"
- siege engines make it easier to win attacks, even without the need to ally with somebody
- Tides of Battle cards randomly affect combat strength almost as much as house card selection, with bad luck sometimes ruining plans to the point of making any advanced plans pointless (ToB cards are optional though, and I personally can't see why anybody would want to play AGoT with them)

I personally prefer to play the 1st edition (with expansions to match 2nd edition feature-wise) with 2nd edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you that is a great summary of the differences. Glad to hear the "tide of battle" cards are optional.

Sounds like I can nab either version of the game and feel pretty good about it. The differences I'm seeing in this post strike me as relatively subtle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ports are a massive fix, since before the naval combat was a game of rich-get-richer. I'd recommend 2nd Edition, since they really did just take the things that were smart about the expansions, except the 4p map. That would have made things too perfect, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seli_L wrote:

I personally prefer to play the 1st edition (with expansions to match 2nd edition feature-wise) with 2nd edition rules.

what?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
Seli_L wrote:

what?...

That, simply put, is almost like playing the 2nd edition with having wooden pieces instead of plastic, nice readable map instead of beatiful unreadable one, and sane house cards instead of insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J L
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
ToB cards essentially allow for more fluid gameplay and obviously inject more chance and surprise into the game. Just something else to plan around...IMO just makes for more dramatic and open strategy gaming. They are intensely frustrating for many multi-turn planners, but not all crowds are into mathcraft. You can have fun either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.