Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we tried playing this for the first time last weekend, and we spent as much time picking pieces up off the floor as we did flicking our hippos. Is this game intended to be played on carpet, or is a tablecloth recommended, or what? I can definitely see the potential, but we need to be able to keep most of the pieces on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general we find sliding to be a little more effective than flicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you just need more practice!

We very rarely end up with pieces on the floor, and my table isn't all that big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Sounds like you just need more practice!

We very rarely end up with pieces on the floor, and my table isn't all that big.

I think this is the answer

Every once in a while a player in one of my games will flick a piece pretty hard in all of the excitement, but for the most part, everything stays on the table. The majority of all of the hippos are usually within 4-6 inches of the ring when it lands, with a few errant shots further away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found that it varies significantly with the table surface. Some are so slippery that they just go flying. That's no so fun. You can flick them lightly to compensate, but it's too lightly and really is no fun.

On other table surfaces, it is a wonderful game that is very silly.

My cutoff is if the ring falling keeps pushing hippos out of the way because the table surface is too slick for them, then it's very difficult for anyone to score and it's no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
My cutoff is if the ring falling keeps pushing hippos out of the way because the table surface is too slick for them, then it's very difficult for anyone to score and it's no fun.

This exactly. I once played this on a laminate cafe table. We laughed at the absurd pointlessness, but it made for a LONG game as hippos kept getting pushed aside during the ring's final clatters. Maybe this is the rare game that the table should NOT be wiped clean before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
We have found that it varies significantly with the table surface. Some are so slippery that they just go flying. That's no so fun. You can flick them lightly to compensate, but it's too lightly and really is no fun.

On other table surfaces, it is a wonderful game that is very silly.

Ah-ha! That sounds like a good rule of thumb. Thanks, everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.