Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: What's Next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
We just bought Ticket to Ride Europe a few months ago and my wife and my kids all love it! We also bought the 1912 Expansion as well as the India / Swiss map. The only problem is that our kids, ages 8 and 10, are now beating us! So where do we go from here? I'm looking for something which is still easy enough for the kids to grasp but has more skill involved. We like the big colorful maps and the card drawing mechanism and we'd like something which has expansions to keep the game fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not completely bored with the TTR system, there is also the Asia expansion with two maps, and the Team Asia map (kids vs. parents!) is very good and requires a lot of skill in that you can't directly tell your partner things - it's rather tricky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual suggestions are

1. Carcassonne
2. Catan

Although I would add a more recent game, Tobago to that list as being appropriate for your family. It is a clever deduction game with beautiful components and it would surely work for a 10 year old, probably also an 8 year old who is capable of winning at TTR: Europe.

After that I would say try some deck building games like Ascension: Deckbuilding Game or Eminent Domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to recommend Dominion, an excellent game and one that fits the criteria you are looking for. It also has numerous expansions but you really only need the base game initially. You can buy expansions when you want to add variety and complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Welch
United Kingdom
Morton in Marsh
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
You could also try some cooperative games, Pandemic or Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile game Maori is not widely recognized but I find it very pleasant for family play (and useful for introducing non-gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take a look at them when I get a chance. I guess I should have been more specific when asking my original question. We actually have some of these games. Carcassonne is great but optimal placement of the meeples seems somewhat beyond my 8 year old. We weren't crazy about Dominion. I liked it the least. For now, we'll probably pass on deck building games. Of course, Settlers is a must but I've read quite a few reviews and trading seems to be a heavy aspect of that game. When we've played trading games like Monopoly, it's far too easy to make unfair trades with the kids because the art of negotiation is just beyond an 8 year old. So let me rephrase my original question. Are there any good "route building" games similar in play mechanics to Ticket to Ride but just more complex and skill based? My kids (and the parents) love the whole laying down a train track and stealing a route from someone else. The actual theme isn't important. The kids get this play mechanism very easily and find it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgill94 wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take a look at them when I get a chance. I guess I should have been more specific when asking my original question. We actually have some of these games. Carcassonne is great but optimal placement of the meeples seems somewhat beyond my 8 year old. We weren't crazy about Dominion. I liked it the least. For now, we'll probably pass on deck building games. Of course, Settlers is a must but I've read quite a few reviews and trading seems to be a heavy aspect of that game. When we've played trading games like Monopoly, it's far too easy to make unfair trades with the kids because the art of negotiation is just beyond an 8 year old. So let me rephrase my original question. Are there any good "route building" games similar in play mechanics to Ticket to Ride but just more complex and skill based? My kids (and the parents) love the whole laying down a train track and stealing a route from someone else. The actual theme isn't important. The kids get this play mechanism very easily and find it fun.

+1 Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia: The team mechanics add a lot to the gameplay imo. It's quite fun.

Ticket to Ride: Märklin: Adds a 'pick up and deliver' mechanic to the base system. Players must now race to deliver passengers on top of the regular route building.

Power Grid is another step up, but could be too much for the 8 year old.

Takenoko has some route building as well as set collection, etc. The "route" being built is essentially a singular water supply for all of the players.

A lot of the other games that I can think of seem to be a significant step up in terms of difficulty..

Edit: Airlines Europe and (although not route building) Kingdom Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgill94 wrote:

I get what you are saying about the trading in Settlers but I think an 8 year old could handle it fine after a few plays.

Thurn and Taxis is the only one that comes to mind. Not sure it fits what you are looking for though. How about a co-op like Pandemic or Flash Point?

Good luck and enjoy your 8 year old. Mine just turned 19 in the blink of an eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at other Alan R Moon games because I love TtR so much. I recently picked up Elfenland and enjoy it as a light game. It has aspects of route building and stealing routes as you mentioned, but it is overall a lighter game than TtR.

Airlines Europe is a more complex game than TtR. But it might not be the thing for your younger kids - stocks and such is a little hard to grasp for some.

You might look at Stone Age as a possibility. There are no routes to build, but you can definitely get to areas of the board before your opponents and effectively steal that from them - and it occurs every turn. In my opinion, if you like Ticket to Ride, you will probably like Stone Age. Both are great games.

Thurn and Taxis has the route building aspect, and you can grab cards before your opponent gets them, which is kind of similar to stealing a route in TtR. It's a very fun game, too.

Power Grid has aspects which might be what you're looking for. You can make connections that your opponents want to make and effectively steal those away, by making their connections more costly. We introduced this game to our 8 year old (who is now 13) and he still loves to play it. It also is a great way to introduce the economic concept of supply and demand. It also challenges their math skills and gives them a sense of money management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Express?
Really simplified version of Empire Builder, but has the drawing of trainlines with crayons, pick-up & delivery, some easy math for the kids, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
After watching a video of all the recommendations, I decided on Thurn and Taxis. It's got a similar route building mechanism, has expansions, and is a Spiel de Jahres winner to boot.

I actually thought Airlines Europe was more interesting but I figured it would be too difficult for my kids right now. Maybe in a year or two.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative is the newish Africana. Definitely fits your criteria I think, even if its too light for me to personally add it to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Patterson
Canada
Hubbards
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would second the Africana suggestion. It has a similar card drawing mechanism as Ticket to Ride. I am surprised its not getting more attention. It is easy to teach, since you guys are used to Ticket to Ride. You can reference TTR for explaining some of the game's rules.

The Theme is pretty decent, especially for families. Good variety of actions, flipping pages, collecting artifacts, travelling etc. It is also different enough so you won't feel that you are buying the same game as Ticket to Ride.

Another suggestion would be the very popular 7 Wonders. It might be a challenge for the kids. It is very colorful, has a couple expansions so far. You might get a year or two before they start beating you .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.