Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all!

I've just played my first game yesterday and I found it very interesting. BTW It is different enough from Struggle of Empires to enjoy both games in their own rights.

I have a question regarding "water" empire tiles. It is said above that if the water tile allows (for example water-2) I can expand to both North America and South America. I understood also that I cannot expand to America AND the Far East with a single tile, even if its number is high enough. Finally it is mentioned that if I don't have any cubes left in the Old World I can expand from the New World (for example) to only ONE region in the Old World, no matter what the number on that tile is.

What I wonder is why from the Old to the New I can expand to many regions but in the reverse I can only expand to one? If any region in the Old World is adjacent to a region in the New World (as the first part suggests) why can't it work both ways?

Thanks.

Jean

P.S: This is a copy of a reply I posted in another thread. I decided to post it here again in its own thread, hoping it would get more exposure that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, you expand back to the Old World to a single area, and then expand out from that single area (the rule prevents shotgunning people all over the map by ricocheting back and forth between the Old and New Worlds). Some things may not make a lot of thematic sense, but are important for play balance; that's what you should read into this rule.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Alex.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I understand your answer, and I believe I could even put some theme back into it.

In the times of empires Europe was seen as the center of the world, the area where all the migrations/empires came from. So in a way from Europe you have access to any part of the world, but from the outer regions (the Americas, Far East, etc.) you are not so empowered...

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.