Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine bought this game recently, and I've now played a 4 player and 5 player game. I really like the game, but I have some concerns.

Does having set factions (shadow/hunter/neutral) on the characters make it too easy for veterans to have an edge over new people? For example if a player does damage to somebody and heals himself by 2 health, people who have played before might instantly realize that the character is Vampire and he's shadow. That seems unfair to new people who may not know all the characters.

Before playing Shadow Hunters, my play group has played dozens and dozens of rounds of BANG!, which SH is compared with. There are aspects of SH I like better than Bang!, but the thing I really like about bang is how the characters are separate from their roles/factions.

Has anybody tried a house rule or variant for SH where the factions are randomized, regardless of the character? For example somebody could have Vampire, but his faction could be hunter, shadow, or neutral.

The character's win conditions would have to change based on this random faction I'm sure, but I'm curious about trying it with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Ma! They done killed Rando!"
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
For example if a player does damage to somebody and heals himself by 2 health, people who have played before might instantly realize that the character is Vampire and he's shadow. That seems unfair to new people who may not know all the characters.

You have to reveal your character card to use a special ability (except for the Unknown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
For example if a player does damage to somebody and heals himself by 2 health, people who have played before might instantly realize that the character is Vampire and he's shadow. That seems unfair to new people who may not know all the characters.

You have to reveal your character card to use a special ability (except for the Unknown).

Ah, well that explains that.

That question came up when we were playing the game, but the guy who owned the game didn't see that part in the rules and we just played without that rule. I suppose the games go much quicker when playing the rules correctly, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
A friend of mine bought this game recently, and I've now played a 4 player and 5 player game. I really like the game, but I have some concerns.

Does having set factions (shadow/hunter/neutral) on the characters make it too easy for veterans to have an edge over new people? For example if a player does damage to somebody and heals himself by 2 health, people who have played before might instantly realize that the character is Vampire and he's shadow. That seems unfair to new people who may not know all the characters.

While you do have to reveal yourself to use an ability (except the Unknown), there are situations in which knowing the game has an advantage in determining identities. I saw one player heal himself in response to two different Hermit cards; since I know that the three healing cards each apply to only one alignment, I knew that he was the Unknown. Similarly, you may draw conclusions from other actions; if Emi is dead and the Werewolf has 11 damage, a player who doesn't reveal at the start of his turn is unlikely to be one of the remaining hunters.

I normally hand out reference sheets so that the players know the abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.