Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the cathedral action, a player can either "restore one segement of the fresco" or "restore the altar *once*" (emphasis mine). So I took that to mean that if I had all three apprentices at the cathedral, I could restore a segment of the fresco twice, but only restore the altar once.

However, in looking at some of the rule comments here on BGG, some people seem to think you can restore the altar one time for *each* apprentice. Could someone let me know what the right way to play is?

Whether you can restore the altar more than once *really* affects the last round of the game as you A: get to go to the cathedral twice and B: could really use many restorations to the altar to get coins for paint since any leftover paint is not worth any points.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DeanMary wrote:
In the cathedral action, a player can either "restore one segement of the fresco" or "restore the altar *once*" (emphasis mine). So I took that to mean that if I had all three apprentices at the cathedral, I could restore a segment of the fresco twice, but only restore the altar once.

However, in looking at some of the rule comments here on BGG, some people seem to think you can restore the altar one time for *each* apprentice. Could someone let me know what the right way to play is?

Whether you can restore the altar more than once *really* affects the last round of the game as you A: get to go to the cathedral twice and B: could really use many restorations to the altar to get coins for paint since any leftover paint is not worth any points.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One per apprentice. It its the only way you can get points for leftover paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Hopkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We interpreted this rule this way:

1. When on side one, each player can restore the altar once per turn.

2. When on side two, during the last round, you can restore the alter once on the first trip to the cathedral, and once on the second trip. So potentially twice during that last round.

Finding out if we interpreted that correctly is what brought me to the forums today.

If it was "once per each apprentice", why would the would the word "once" even be there? It would be no different that restoring the fresco (one tile per apprentice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanMary wrote:

But that is NOT what the rules say:

"Each of the player's apprentices deployed at the "cathedral" column may:

-restore one segment of the fresco or
-restore the alter once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shanhop wrote:
If it was "once per each apprentice", why would the would the word "once" even be there? It would be no different that restoring the fresco (one tile per apprentice).

Because saying "restore one altar" would be grammatically poor. There aren't multiple altars, so they have to say "once". There are multiple tiles, so they say "one segment".

As David says, the rules very clearly say each apprentice has a choice restoring a segment or the altar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.