Subject: The abstract of 70+ plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently when i wrote to the geeklist "What is your most played board game so far in 2012?" that i've played 70-80 games of Middle Earth Quest, one member asked me to write a strategy guide of my gaming experience. The thought grew in me and since i wanted a GG or two i present to you a set of guidelines that will help you win in most games whether you play as Sauron or Hero.

When you play as Sauron

1) Know your Shadow and Plot Cards
You can't win as Sauron if you are not experienced. You must know your cards by heart so that you know what you're looking for when you draw cards.

2) Playing the Starting plot
When you draw the Starting plot you must immediately make a plan. A succesful Sauron player thinks 2-3 rounds ahead. The Yellow plot is probably the best one to start. It gives you influence in the Shadow pool, many influence in your hand to play and it connects well with other yellow plots since they are the easiests to play in the beginning. When you place the starting influence always know where the heroes are headed. Know their starting quests and set traps. With a little luck they will get stuck with a nasty corruption card like "Isolated" which will cripple them.

3) Which story marker should i pursue?
There is not an easy answer to that. It depends on many things like your Starting plot and your Mission. Keep in mind that the Yellow story marker is in most cases your best chance. It's plot cards play early in the game and you can easily protect them with your minions. Plus if you have the Shadow card "Shire Baggins" you will advance the marker by two. Personally i prefer to play with all the story markers as that will confuse the Heroes of my Mission. It's imperative that you play a plot card in every round and not wait for the plot card that you have in mind. The Heroes won't wait for you. They will try to remove all plot cards.

4) Now where do i put those Sauron eyes?
Take influence? Take Shadow cards? Move minions or place monsters? Every move that Sauron makes is crucial. It's a good idea to have your Shadow pool full every time you change rounds since that will allow you to play more powerful Plot and Shadow cards. So a good strategy move is when you enter a new level to place the Sauron eyes on influence. Fill the Pool from the beginning. Also have in mind who you are up against. It's usually futile to place influence to make traps for Eleanor or Beravor since they have high wisdom. However if your opponent is Thalin, give him everything you've got! Fill him up with Corruption cards. One less dwarf to worry about. As for the Shadow cards it is my opinion to make your plans with whatever cards you are drawing. Don't keep drawing cards in the hope that you will get a kick-ass card like "They are terrible" (not unless you have the Ringwraiths in the Shire Mission). You will end up with a bunch of cards that you will probably never use. How about minion movement or monster placing? It is crucial to place your minions in that a way so that they defend your plots. Try to keep them together if possible so that they help each other when they are attacked from 2 or more heroes. Ambush heroes with them when you see that Heroes are weak. Try to kill the ones that have horses and take their horse card if possible, that will delay their movements. Also get to learn the minions' Special Abilities. Plan with those in mind. Monster tokens are good when you place them in choke points like in Mordor and Gap of Rohan. Keep in mind that the best monsters dwell in Mordor-Brown Lands, in Gondor-Rohan and in the Grey Mountains-Purple areas (don't remember the name right know). DON'T place monsters in Eriador. They are the worst.

5) When you draw Peril cards...
There are some cards that give corruption, other that give damage and others that raise your influence in the Shadow Pool. In most cases give the heroes corruption cards. Here is a good tip... there is a Peril card which allows you to give a corruption and then shuffle the Peril deck. Try to pick this the most since the cards that give corruption are just three and if you pick them at the beginning then all you will give the Heroes is damage at best.

6) When in combat
When you do battle with a monster try to do your worst. The monster won't be there in the next round so hit the heroe with everything you've got. But when you do battle with a minion, tread carefully. In most cases you will want your minion to survive for another round or two, so play defensively. Try to wear out the hero by making him throw a lot of cards to defeat you. Here are a few other tips... Don't forget to place your earned influence if you survive the battle, most Sauron players tend to do. Also don't forget to play Shadow card at the beginning of a fight. Especially "Black Breath" and "Morgul Blade" will make the fight much easier for you. Finally in many cases it is best not to kill the hero but to leave him hanging with two or three cards. That will disable him for the next round.

7) Also keep in mind...
It is not necessary to meet your Mission criteria if it doesn't suit your play. Try to reach the Finale first and that will probably give you an advantage in the Final Battle. Throughout the game try to guess the Heroes Mission. Their movements will tell you that in most cases. If you are still not sure, try to rule out some possible Missions. Place 3 Monster tokens in places they can't reach or make sure they have 2 or more Corruption cards, etc.

When you play as a Hero

1) Which Hero should i choose?
All heroes have their pros and cons. Eometh is good choice. He starts with a horse which makes him flexible and he has a good card deck for fighting. Eleanor has a high wisdom value, doesnt get corrupted easily and she will give you extra favor especially when you need it the most thanks to her special ability, she has the weakest deck but she can be cunning. When in a fight she has two cards which if played correctly can end the battle immediately and then allow you to move as you please. Beravor is another good choice. She has the easiests Quests and they reward her handsomely. Through time she becomes as good in brawls as the dwarf. As for the Dwarf, he is my favourite not because he is the best but because he kicks ass. Not a good choice for beginners. His low wisdom makes him extremely vulnerable to corruption. As for Argalad, he is probably your worst choice. His ranged deck makes him predictable in a fight, he has low fortitude which makes him slow and his special ability sucks (i mean really, look at adjuscent monster tokens, please...). In a three player game it is good for the Heroes to pick players that work well together. For example Eometh can help Eleanor with her Starting Quest if she picks "Explore near Harad". It is generally a good idea one of the heroes to pich Eometh. His horse gives flexibility to the team and often surprises Sauron with his reach.

2) Should i complete my Starting and Advanced Quest?
If your Mission says so, by all means do so. However in most cases it is not mandatory to do so. For example why should Eometh go into an unnecessari fight with the Mouth of Sauron and get corrupted once or even twice just for the sake of one level of agility or two favours? Or why would Eleanor go to Barad-dur, in the wolf's den, for little gain? The Heroes must ALWAYS keep in mind that their goal is to remove Sauron's plots from the game, not completing their Quests. If you can simultaneously win a favour or two by completing a quest, then do so.

3) What reward should i pick from the Characters?
In most cases the answer is favour. You need as much favour as possible to remove possible corruptions or to take out from the game the costly black Sauron plots later in the game. However some characters give rewards that you just can't refuse. Theoden's horses are a must. If all Heroes have horses then their chances of winning increase. Or if you see that Sauron has 8 influence in the Shadow pool and he is ready to play a powerful plot card, why not stall him by removing a couple of influence thanks to Thranduil gift? A word of caution...NEVER pay the steward of Gondor 3 favours to advance the your story marker by one. For that to be of any use, you will have to do it one more time later in the game which is near to impossible.

4) Together we stand, divided we fall (Pink Floyd, The Wall)
Heroes must work together in order to succeed. If you must fight a minion, fight it with your comrade and take it out in just one round. If a monster token blocks your way, have one hero engage it and make way and the other can pass freely to accomplish his goal. If Sauron connects his influence chain by two ways, have the heroes encounter two location that will break the chain in the next round and get rid of a ton of influence. If Sauron wants it back he will have to sacrifice his precious Eyes to do so.

5) Which Training card should i choose?
Always go for those that don't take too much strength. Unless of course you are Thalin and you have much to throw around. Probably the best training card is "Execute" but it can't easily connect when you fight a minion or monster with a Behemoth card deck since it is full of shields. You can use other Training cards to make comboes with your existing card deck. A properly thrown Training card can shift the balance of the fight in favour of the Hero. Also an experiences Sauron player knows the Heroes cards. The Training cards offer "The unpredictable factor". Keep them hidden, don't use them to move around so that Sauron can't see them therefore expect them in combat.

6) When in combat
There is one general rule...AVOID THE FIGHT! Fighting gives you nothing, only slows you down. If you can't avoid the fight, play smart. If you are up against a monster, play defensively. Monsters have little strength (most of them). Also use combos like playing "Fall back" first and "Charge" later and make smart use of your defensive cards when Sauron builds strength with cards like "Consentrate".

7) Also keep in mind...
The Heroes will come across side quests when they encounter various locations, or a favour or a character might be two or three steps away but in the opposite direction of where they are headed. NOT EVERYTHING THAT SHINES IS GOLD. Remember your goal. Take out Sauron's plots. Don't collect every favour or complete every side quest if that means losing the game.

I hope this helps you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Piemonte
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools

This is a great help, thanks for sharing.

One question: out of your number of plays, what is the average playtime in your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played close to 20 games (not 80 - that's awesome,) but I'd say you have some great tips for both sides.

Thanks for sharing these in such great detail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't be that person who gets bitten by a zombie and keeps it a secret from the rest of the group.
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT write-up. Just a couple of questions, if you please:

How many players do you usually play, 3 or 4? In my limited plays it seems that Sauron's strategy can be much looser in 4 player.

Makis mou wrote:
A word of caution...NEVER pay the steward of Gondor 3 favours to advance the your story marker by one. For that to be of any use, you will have to do it one more time later in the game which is near to impossible.

In theory I have to disagree. I don't have enough plays to disagree completely though.

You mention "near to impossible" which I agree with, but by ignoring that first chance you will definitely miss out on the second chance. By jumping ahead one space you will at least have the option of ending the game one turn sooner if Denethor shows up a second time. In theory.

Is it really that bad of a choice in practice?

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anto wrote:

This is a great help, thanks for sharing.

One question: out of your number of plays, what is the average playtime in your experience?

I'd say about 2,5 - 3 hours in a 3 player game and about 3,5 hours in a four player game, if the players are experienced of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
GREAT write-up. Just a couple of questions, if you please:

How many players do you usually play, 3 or 4? In my limited plays it seems that Sauron's strategy can be much looser in 4 player.

Makis mou wrote:
A word of caution...NEVER pay the steward of Gondor 3 favours to advance the your story marker by one. For that to be of any use, you will have to do it one more time later in the game which is near to impossible.

In theory I have to disagree. I don't have enough plays to disagree completely though.

You mention "near to impossible" which I agree with, but by ignoring that first chance you will definitely miss out on the second chance. By jumping ahead one space you will at least have the option of ending the game one turn sooner if Denethor shows up a second time. In theory.

Is it really that bad of a choice in practice?

Robert

We usually play with 2 heroes which is just fine and balanced. In a two player game the Heroes have the advantage, while in a 4 player game Sauron is more preferably to win. And yes i do think that paying Denethor 3 favours is a waste. Only one exclusion... if you play Eleanor, you have the Starting Quest in Near Harad and the first Story Step card places Denethor in Pelagir then please do pay the favour because when you finisg your Starting Quest then you get to place Denethor in Minas Tirith!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to thank all of you for the support to my article thumbsup and for the tips. More useful tips on the game are coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played MEQ quite a few times myself. Maybe not 80, but 50+ for sure. This game is way up there on my list of favorite games if not THE favorite from time to time. As I/we became veterans to Middle Earth we noticed that the Heroes mission "Minas Morgul Kept at Bay" (2 or less minions in play) is extremely hard to achieve if the Sauron player has some experience. As Sauron, once you notice the Heroes going after your minions you can almost assume that they have the "Minas Morgul Kept at Bay" mission. Therefore as Sauron should just simply stick his minions in perilous locations, permanently perilous locations if possible. Then when a hero comes along to bring down your minion you just choose the peril option instead of the fighting option, every time. If the heroes do finally get a chance to fight the minions they will be so heavily corrupted or damaged they won't stand a chance.

Besides this mission, I think the game is a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, now I want to to play this more . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
I have played MEQ quite a few times myself. Maybe not 80, but 50+ for sure. This game is way up there on my list of favorite games if not THE favorite from time to time. As I/we became veterans to Middle Earth we noticed that the Heroes mission "Minas Morgul Kept at Bay" (2 or less minions in play) is extremely hard to achieve if the Sauron player has some experience. As Sauron, once you notice the Heroes going after your minions you can almost assume that they have the "Minas Morgul Kept at Bay" mission. Therefore as Sauron should just simply stick his minions in perilous locations, permanently perilous locations if possible. Then when a hero comes along to bring down your minion you just choose the peril option instead of the fighting option, every time. If the heroes do finally get a chance to fight the minions they will be so heavily corrupted or damaged they won't stand a chance.

Besides this mission, I think the game is a blast!

I think you've got it all wrong friend. If a Minion is in a perillous location and a hero walks in there, Sauron does have the option of Combat or Peril but if he chooses Peril then nothing stops the Heroes from beginning the fight. I remember asking this question at the FFG site and i got an answer directly from Corey "the beard" Koniezcka himself. Other than that i think that this Mission is indeed the hardest one to achieve for the Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makis mou wrote:
I think you've got it all wrong friend. If a Minion is in a perillous location and a hero walks in there, Sauron does have the option of Combat or Peril but if he chooses Peril then nothing stops the Heroes from beginning the fight. I remember asking this question at the FFG site and i got an answer directly from Corey "the beard" Koniezcka himself. Other than that i think that this Mission is indeed the hardest one to achieve for the Heroes.

If so, Corey is going against RAW. Heroes have NO option to choose to initiate a combat during their turn if Sauron picks Peril (or if you see such an option in the rulebook, please point it out, might be nice to learn something new after 65 plays). Combat vs Peril is Sauron's choice and no option under Explore Step allows the hero to initiate combat. Hero can of course stick around and force an Ambush during his next turn, but at least in the case of Ruins of Angmar - Mt. Gundabad, Sauron could bounce Minions from one to the other, requiring two heroes to pin down a Minion to Ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Makis mou wrote:

If so, Corey is going against RAW. Heroes have NO option to choose to initiate a combat during their turn if Sauron picks Peril (or if you see such an option in the rulebook, please point it out, might be nice to learn something new after 65 plays). Combat vs Peril is Sauron's choice and no option under Explore Step allows the hero to initiate combat. Hero can of course stick around and force an Ambush during his next turn, but at least in the case of Ruins of Angmar - Mt. Gundabad, Sauron could bounce Minions from one to the other, requiring two heroes to pin down a Minion to Ambush.

Ok, i'm going to copy-paste the question i made and the answer i got from Corey Konieczka, here goes...

Hello Bachtsevanis,

See my answers below.

Thanks for playing!

If there is a monster or minion in a perillous location and the hero visits this location then Sauron decides whether the hero takes Combat or Peril. Ok so far. If he decides to take Peril then can the hero engage in combat after the peril during the same turn? The rule book says about the travel step: "This step is unique in that it may be performed as many times as the hero wishes, or is able", and combat is a part of the travel step, so i'm guessing that he can engage in combat, am i right?

Yes, the hero can choose to fight a monster after resolving peril. Otherwise, such cards as "Against the Shadow" could be impossible for the heroes to complete.
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a ballsy move to argue against the designer, but I'm calling that a total BS ruling. Somebody post a "U mad" pic in this thread. There is no bleeping basis for that in the rules as I see it.

Won't argue about being able to do the Travel step multiple times, that's a no-brainer. Otherwise the heroes would only ever move one location per turn. Yeah, gg Sauron. However, your quote in the question left out (for me) a VERY relevant part, the follow-up sentence:

"Each time a hero performs this step, he enacts all parts of the
sequence below" (p. 22)

ALL parts, which are Move (A), Combat/Peril (B) and Explore (C). You can only skip A and B when you started your turn in a space and want to Explore it:

"If a player wishes to explore the location that he started his turn
on, he may skip the “Move” and the “Combat or Peril” parts of
his first Travel step and then explore in his current location (after
which he may choose to take additional Travel steps, as normal)." (p. 24)

If you don't want to move anymore, your Travel Step is over (after B and C) and you move onto the Encounter Step (possibly). But to say that you move to a location, Sauron chooses Combat/Peril and picks Peril (to protect monster/minion) and then the hero "travelling" to the same location again by staying put and somehow being able to choose combat, WTF! No basis in the rules for any of that "travel but stay put yet choose a fight".

As for RAW making it tough/impossible to complete certain Mission, big deal. Beravor (I mention her as her case is the most common I've seen) in a 1-hero game can complete her Starting + Advanced Quest in the first turn (remember single hero gets a double turn each time) without Sauron having zero to almost no input on being able to stop her. Should that Mission be made more difficult somehow? Mission is ultimately of secondary importance as is, dominance on the Story Track is the primary goal. Some Missions are easier than others, those are the breaks. If Sauron wants to hide his Minions in perilous locations, let him, that means they are nowhere near his Plots (there is a Mt. Gundabad and a Barad-Dur Plot I can think of that affect perilous locations) and you're that much more free to waltz in and remove them. He stopped you from completing your Mission? Good job! Oh, his tokens are miles back on the Story Track because the Minions were hiding instead of protecting the Plots? Finger Poke of Death on the Ringwraiths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I know it's a ballsy move to argue against the designer, but I'm calling that a total BS ruling. Somebody post a "U mad" pic in this thread. There is no bleeping basis for that in the rules as I see it.

Won't argue about being able to do the Travel step multiple times, that's a no-brainer. Otherwise the heroes would only ever move one location per turn. Yeah, gg Sauron. However, your quote in the question left out (for me) a VERY relevant part, the follow-up sentence:

"Each time a hero performs this step, he enacts all parts of the
sequence below" (p. 22)

ALL parts, which are Move (A), Combat/Peril (B) and Explore (C). You can only skip A and B when you started your turn in a space and want to Explore it:

"If a player wishes to explore the location that he started his turn
on, he may skip the “Move” and the “Combat or Peril” parts of
his first Travel step and then explore in his current location (after
which he may choose to take additional Travel steps, as normal)." (p. 24)

If you don't want to move anymore, your Travel Step is over (after B and C) and you move onto the Encounter Step (possibly). But to say that you move to a location, Sauron chooses Combat/Peril and picks Peril (to protect monster/minion) and then the hero "travelling" to the same location again by staying put and somehow being able to choose combat, WTF! No basis in the rules for any of that "travel but stay put yet choose a fight".

As for RAW making it tough/impossible to complete certain Mission, big deal. Beravor (I mention her as her case is the most common I've seen) in a 1-hero game can complete her Starting + Advanced Quest in the first turn (remember single hero gets a double turn each time) without Sauron having zero to almost no input on being able to stop her. Should that Mission be made more difficult somehow? Mission is ultimately of secondary importance as is, dominance on the Story Track is the primary goal. Some Missions are easier than others, those are the breaks. If Sauron wants to hide his Minions in perilous locations, let him, that means they are nowhere near his Plots (there is a Mt. Gundabad and a Barad-Dur Plot I can think of that affect perilous locations) and you're that much more free to waltz in and remove them. He stopped you from completing your Mission? Good job! Oh, his tokens are miles back on the Story Track because the Minions were hiding instead of protecting the Plots? Finger Poke of Death on the Ringwraiths.

I won't argue with you my friend. I played the game both ways and i found Corey's way (the right way since he did design the damn thing) much more satisfying. Think of it this way...whats the point in making missions for the heroes that are impossible to complete? That just makes no sense! With Coreys way at least they get a fair chance. Try it and you'll get a totally different gaming experience. If you are still troubled, why not send an e-mail through FFG's official site? They will answer you within a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Sauron wins as is most of the time around here, but I don't think the heroes have ever completed the kill minions mission even without me (being Sauron most of the time) playing that minion as sissies (hiding)*. Additionally, like I said, mission aren't the primary focus, Story Track is. If I get say Yellow Token Mission but my best plots happen to be Red, I'll ram the Red token to the Finale and take the Final Combat at +4-5 Health and Fortitude and win by that. If the mission seems feasible, nice, if not, dominance is still the primary goal, get bonus to Final Combat, hold off the hero and win.

As for getting a reply, could happen in a week, but then again, I have a couple of rules questions I sent in back in November 2010 that I haven't heard back from, so I'm nothing holding my breath on a week being a deadline. Then again, MEQ hasn't seen a lot of plays of late as is, really would like an expansion to spice up interest. After 65 plays (30 1-hero, 30 2-hero and 5 3-hero), very much a seen it all feel for the moment.

* Didn't go through my logs, but they are decently detailed in case someone wants to read them:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/31563?userid=166107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Well, Sauron wins as is most of the time around here, but I don't think the heroes have ever completed the kill minions mission even without me (being Sauron most of the time) playing that minion as sissies (hiding)*. Additionally, like I said, mission aren't the primary focus, Story Track is. If I get say Yellow Token Mission but my best plots happen to be Red, I'll ram the Red token to the Finale and take the Final Combat at +4-5 Health and Fortitude and win by that. If the mission seems feasible, nice, if not, dominance is still the primary goal, get bonus to Final Combat, hold off the hero and win.

As for getting a reply, could happen in a week, but then again, I have a couple of rules questions I sent in back in November 2010 that I haven't heard back from, so I'm nothing holding my breath on a week being a deadline. Then again, MEQ hasn't seen a lot of plays of late as is, really would like an expansion to spice up interest. After 65 plays (30 1-hero, 30 2-hero and 5 3-hero), very much a seen it all feel for the moment.

* Didn't go through my logs, but they are decently detailed in case someone wants to read them:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/31563?userid=166107

Really? They answer to me every time. Anyway, playing a 3 hour game and knowing from the beginning that the mission is impossible to complete and playing just for the Final Batlle, that is a major turn-off for me. With Corey's way no mission is impossible! But when we do complete the Mission as Heroes then victory is so much sweeter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours is way over our normal playing time, MEQ clocks in around 75-90 minutes (2-player), under 60 min if its a runaway game. Mission is just one way to win, winning being the sole point. If you can't get your mission, you can still win through combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luciano Montanari
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I try to reactivate this old but interesting discussion.
The game designer found a "bug" in the rules and he tryed to solve it.
I'm fine with this solution, the hero can decide to fight the minion/monster after the peril.
Is this part of another travel step? After the travel step finished with the peril solution, did the hero start another travel step without moving and without triggering the peril only to fight the minion/monster? Or simply after a peril solution a hero can always decide to fight minion/monster in his location before the explore segment? If yes could he hunt down all minions/monsters in his location in the same travel step in this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the designer didn't try to solve the problem since he didn't make an official FAQ about it and everyone (almost) played the game the old way, including me in the beginning. However i realized that this combat or peril thing just didn't fit. So i asked a question at FFG and got the answer above. I was actually very surprised that this problem didn't bother anyone else for three years. In my opinion the whole thing is just a matter of poor writing of the manual. The designer always meant for the heroes to be able to combat the monsters after peril, he just didn't clarify it or took it for granted, i don't know. And it definitely isn't part of another travel step since, as the rules dictate, the heroes can make the travel step for as long as they can. Of course there are others that will tell you that this is not by RAW. But then again, that is why we ask questions at FFG so that we can clarify the RAW. Like i said... poor writing of the manual. As for the part in your question whereas the heroes can fight all the monsters in one location i remember someone asking about it at FFG and got the answer that he can only fight one monster after peril and if he wanted to fight another, he should change locations first. But i am not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luciano Montanari
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Actually I'm giong in this way, maybe it doesn't need any further investigation.

The travel step is composed by the 3 segments AMove, BCombat or Peril and CExplore, according to the rules
at pag. 22 http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/middle-earth_q....
So a hero comes in the move substep in a location with a minion and a monster placed and it is also perilousfor that hero.
During the B substep Sauron player decide to solve the peril and after it the C substep occurs, the hero can explore the location.
After this move step the hero decides to have another move step.
During his A move substep he stays in the current location, during the B substep combat or peril (here is the trick) Sauron CAN'T trigger the the peril. At pag. 22 of the english rules it is written : "... after the current hero has moved to a newlocation that is perilousand/or contains one or more monster tokens or
minions, Sauron must resolve one of the following (if able): ...". This in not a new location so peril decision is not avaiable, during this combat or peril substep Sauron has only to decide if the hero has to fight vs the monster o vs the minion, if the chosen enemy is defeated the hero can procede with C explore substep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lathanno wrote:
Actually I'm giong in this way, maybe it doesn't need any further investigation.

The travel step is composed by the 3 segments AMove, BCombat or Peril and CExplore, according to the rules
at pag. 22 http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/middle-earth_q....
So a hero comes in the move substep in a location with a minion and a monster placed and it is also perilousfor that hero.
During the B substep Sauron player decide to solve the peril and after it the C substep occurs, the hero can explore the location.
After this move step the hero decides to have another move step.
During his A move substep he stays in the current location, during the B substep combat or peril (here is the trick) Sauron CAN'T trigger the the peril. At pag. 22 of the english rules it is written : "... after the current hero has moved to a newlocation that is perilousand/or contains one or more monster tokens or
minions, Sauron must resolve one of the following (if able): ...". This in not a new location so peril decision is not avaiable, during this combat or peril substep Sauron has only to decide if the hero has to fight vs the monster o vs the minion, if the chosen enemy is defeated the hero can procede with C explore substep.

Umm no, if the hero does not move, Sauron cannot do peril or monster attack so you just repeat the explore part - the same as if the hero wants to explore their starting location.
The only time to force an attack seems to be the Ambush step and that occurs before the Travel step

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.