Dungeoneer: Haunted Woods of Malthorin» Forums » General

Subject: Questions before buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asar Anchti
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dungeoneer Tomb of Lich king through Vassal and liked it, so I've decided to buy one pack. Haunted woods is the set that appeals to me most thematically, but there's one problem I'm afraid of. Is 10 map cards enough for a play? At the beginning you already put on the table half of it (entrance + 4 passages). That means that whole map is created after 5 turns. Doesn't the game end sooner than in 40 minutes as it's written in description?

One more question. There are 3 new characters. Is it playable with three players then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barteus Maximus
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play Haunted Woods as a quick 2 player adventure. The map does feel small after playing Lich Lord or the larger sets, but it is workable with only 2 players. Another possibility, that you don't mention, is that you can combine Haunted Woods (as the "outside") and Lich Lord ("the dungeon") together. For the price, I think the Haunted Woods is a good buy, but be prepared that it is much smaller, fewer items than the double-pack sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The single deck sets contain half of everything that the double deck sets have.
As far as the map, I prefer the method where the map is laid out from the beginning, so I think the map being completed sooner is better.
As for the number of players, it does not have enough quests for three players, just like the double deck sets have six characters but only enough quests for four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asar Anchti
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I have one more question. Are character tokens in english edition the same as in polish one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the polish version pieces look like this:

The American version ones look like the other American sets:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.