Eketorp» Forums » Variants

Subject: Changes to amulet and card rotation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ross
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
So I picked up this for recently for a great price and I had a quick play though with just 3 players to feel out the rules.
Quickly I came across a few niggles.

One was that one player got so thoroughly trounced that he had no Vikings left to play in a round, they were all hospitalised. This seems unfair and a bit rubbish for a player to sit for a round twiddling his thumbs. It happened twice more to the other players.
-To fix this I considered maybe using amulets to speed up healing and buy back some Vikings to stop any turn missing.

The other point was that with the replacing cards with amulets system it wasn't long before each hand was largely 5s and 6s, with a few 4s. It just didn't make sense not to get rid of 3 downwards and players got lucky with high draws. Battles were just a trade off of 5 v 5 or 6 v 6 more often than not and nothing below a two was seen after round 1. It was a bit predictable.
-For this I wondered if maybe some 5s and 6s could be removed from the deck making them more rare like 40s in Cosmic Encounter, OR introducing a system where three of the cards are returned to your hand and the last randomly discarded to inject a bit of the random element.

has anyone else run into these problems and how did you fix them? Or is that how the game is SUPPOSED to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you didn't make any mistakes with the rules? I've only played Eketorp once so far, but after the game I spotted a few errors we'd made. There are some fairly obscure little rules hidden in sidebars and such like.

Note that when using amulets to replace cards you must pay one amulet per card, and you must replace all the cards in your hand. So if you have 3 cards in your hand, you must pay 3 amulets and replace all 3 cards, or not use them at all. Since the amulets can only be used once per game, and are worth points if not used, there shouldn't be very much replacing of cards.

One mistake I made was that in the battle phase, we did all the battles of the first player (me), then all the battles of the second player and so on. You're supposed to only do one battle of the first player, then one of the second player and so on. The effect of this was to put all my vikings in the hospital, leaving me at a disadvantage I never recovered from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how the two problems go together, really. How can a player get so massively trounced if there are so many 6s floating around? But yes, it CAN happen to the unwary Viking - however, this is part of the tactics of the game. If you choose to contest everything and throw your hordes into battle, sometimes you will lose everything. Its why I suggest to new players that on the first turn they consider keeping a Viking or two safe in their castle so they will have them guaranteed healthy for stage 2.

Regarding the number of cards, like Mark said it takes one amulet per card to switch out a low card - and we regularly have games where the "2" you discard is replaced by a "1", to much hilarity around the board. I've never seen a game where you go down to just 6s and few 5s, although the number of draws do indeed do up as the game goes on - but again, that's all part of the tactics: do I engage all my Vikings and risk them going to hospital, or do I keep some out of combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with stuart it is genarlly a bad idea to send all your boys to "go a viking" especially ifn you have high value walls already

and mark is correct the very first time we played it it happened as in his experience (once you realise you have to trade an amulet for each card the chances of full hands of 5 or 6s is very long indeed)

its a fun little game though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.