United States
Highland Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

It was posted in a different thread. The link is a post saying they'd buy it, but no link to this forum:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10978297#10978297

Sorry, let me clarify, I don't get why it's in the queue or why it didn't go through this forum again. I agree with your insights Tom, and I think that it's really odd (worrisome?) that they would link a different forum as approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

It was posted in a different thread. The link is a post saying they'd buy it, but no link to this forum:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10978297#10978297

Sorry, let me clarify, I don't get why it's in the queue or why it didn't go through this forum again. I agree with your insights Tom, and I think that it's really odd (worrisome?) that they would link a different forum as approval.

This is where the admins pull rank and decline the submission, telling the submitter what needs to be done (again...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping my poll:

Gravey wrote:
Here are some microbadges for Memoir '44 expansions that don't have any yet:

Memoir '44: Equipment Pack fan
Memoir '44: Winter Wars fan
Memoir '44: Battle Maps series fan

Poll
Ready to submit?
  Yes, go ahead! Needs improvement (please elaborate!) No, don't submit it Vote Count
66.7% (6) 11.1% (1) 22.2% (2) 9
62.5% (5) 25.0% (2) 12.5% (1) 8
25.0% (2) 50.0% (4) 25.0% (2) 8
Total Voters 9
This poll is now closed.   9 answers
Poll created by Gravey
Closes: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 am

To anyone who voted "No" or "Needs Improvement" on the Equipment Pack or Battle Maps microbadges, would you care to provide some feedback? What do you feel needs fixing, or why should they not be submitted?

I've tried to stick as close to the existing Memoir '44 microbadges (http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5748). For reference, here are the original expansion icons I based the microbadges off of:

Thanks for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Gravey wrote:
Bumping my poll:

Gravey wrote:
Here are some microbadges for Memoir '44 expansions that don't have any yet:

Memoir '44: Battle Maps series fan

Poll
Ready to submit?
  Yes, go ahead! Needs improvement (please elaborate!) No, don't submit it Vote Count
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

To anyone who voted "No" or "Needs Improvement" on the Equipment Pack or Battle Maps microbadges, would you care to provide some feedback? What do you feel needs fixing, or why should they not be submitted?

I've tried to stick as close to the existing Memoir '44 microbadges (http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5748). For reference, here are the original expansion icons I based the microbadges off of:

Thanks for any feedback!

I missed this the first time around but I would say the first one is really clear and good to go, the second one is a little fuzzy, I'd probably sharpen the text a little as it's not clear they are W's. The third one again maybe needs the "map" text sharpening to make it more readable. I'd also be tempted to a) remove the red text (it's not recognisable and without it you will be able to get the crosshatch pattern across more) and b) shave off the corners as that's quite distinctive in the larger version above but not obvious in the microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Little Town of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Sorry, but I can hardly be held responsible for the arguments posted by others that I am not in agreement with. I do not claim “that people shouldn't vote no in polls unless they're also willing to take the time to provide instructions.”

Let us together heap abuse on the next person to express this sentiment and destroy them.

Schwartzkopf wrote:
Proposal for a microbadge in TV catagory -
- "Science Patrol Fan" from the 1960s Japanese TV Show Ultraman, this microbadge represents the logo of the Science Patrol.

reference picture - logo on Hyata's (Ultraman) helmet -

Now let's study the proportions... the rocket on the helmet is about 50/50 nose and fins, while yours is mostly fins. If you push that part down one pixel or two, might it also help set the rocket apart from the star more clearly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
I missed this the first time around but I would say the first one is really clear and good to go, the second one is a little fuzzy, I'd probably sharpen the text a little as it's not clear they are W's. The third one again maybe needs the "map" text sharpening to make it more readable. I'd also be tempted to a) remove the red text (it's not recognisable and without it you will be able to get the crosshatch pattern across more) and b) shave off the corners as that's quite distinctive in the larger version above but not obvious in the microbadge.

Thanks for the notes! Here's a second attempt at the Winter Wars badge with more recognizable Ws—the last serifs on each letter are so tiny to begin with:

(Edit: Just softened a couple dark pixels at the bottom tip, unfortunately this one won't show up in the poll.)

You're definitely right about the Battle Maps badge: one pixel of anti-aliasing isn't enough to make the corners look angled. Here's a second version, also with a hopefully more legible "MAP" text:

And a second version of that second version, with the red text removed:

Poll
How about these improvements?
  Yes, ready to go now Better but still needs some work No, not an improvement Vote Count
Winter Wars - better Ws
66.7% (4) 16.7% (1) 16.7% (1) 6
Battle Maps - better text and corners
0.0% (0) 40.0% (2) 60.0% (3) 5
Battle Maps - better text and corners & no red text
33.3% (2) 16.7% (1) 50.0% (3) 6
Total Voters 6
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by Gravey
Closes: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
delinear wrote:

Thanks for the notes! Here's a second attempt at the Winter Wars badge with more recognizable Ws—the last serifs on each letter are so tiny to begin with:

You're definitely right about the Battle Maps badge: one pixel of anti-aliasing isn't enough to make the corners look angled. Here's a second version, also with a hopefully more legible "MAP" text:

And a second version of that second version, with the red text removed:

Poll
  Yes, ready to go now Better but still needs some work No, not an improvement Vote Count
Winter Wars - better Ws
Total Voters 6
Poll created by Gravey

I can't make out what any of those are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:

Poll
Ready to submit?
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

Poll
Winter Wars - better Ws
Total Voters 6
Poll created by Gravey

They look as if they are simply resized. That won't do the trick. The hexes should be drawn manually and the resized inside added afterwards (after tweaking it). In fact it would even be better to use no resizing at all and to do it all by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:

Now let's study the proportions... the rocket on the helmet is about 50/50 nose and fins, while yours is mostly fins. If you push that part down one pixel or two, might it also help set the rocket apart from the star more clearly?

Indeed.

down 1 px

down 2 px

can't decide which looks better, but the one down 2px most closely matches the proportions of the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
garion wrote:
They look as if they are simply resized. That won't do the trick. The hexes should be drawn manually and the resized inside added afterwards (after tweaking it). In fact it would even be better to use no resizing at all and to do it all by hand.

They were resized to begin with and then tweaked to try to bring out the details. Though that's not working for the Battle Maps badge, which I'm going to shelve—it's not worth trying to get "MAP" fit in 12 pixels for a microbadge that probably won't have a lot of interest anyway (anyone who's a fan of the Battle Maps would be better with the Operation Overlord fan microbadge).

But yeah, you read my mind: I was going to post that as I thought about it, I was less happy with the Winter Wars badge and will start it over from scratch tonight.

I'll take another look at the Equipment Pack badge too, with regards to a hand drawn border, since I spent most of the time on the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin McGrew
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.therallyeclub.org
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garion wrote:
niraD wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Offset?

Could also just make it 15x15 and then stretch it to 16x16. Your image editor will balance it out well enough.
So, is anyone still working on a "Person of Interest" microbadge? I'd love to buy one with the windfall from the GeekGold Bonus for 2012 Support.

I came up with this:

I like the yellow reticle with the word "OF" in white inside it. It's a clean design that clearly identifies the show's artwork. I think this particular image could be cleaned up: remove the stray white pixels outside the yellow reticle, and make the white "OF" crisper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Watson
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
So, apparently the flag is more than just a common rock icon to many people. Fair enough, back in the 70s things were different. I can understand that.

So, I still love their music (original line-ups not the new fangled stuff). I thought maybe I'd try their album covers. There's no reason not to have them all, like several other bands, right?
Poll: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Which album sleeve is best? I couldn't get Second Helping to look anything other than a mess of pixels!
Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Nuthin Fancy
Gimme Back My Bullets
One More For From The Road
Street Survivors (Original cover)
Street Survivors (Amended cover)
I am leaving comments about changes
      5 answers
Poll created by Unhalfbricking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
mbmbmb
I have a request!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Since these are the two MBs I think Memoir '44 could really use, and the two that have been most positively received so far, I've plugged away at them. Here are two revised versions of the Equipment Pack and Winter Wars MBs. Previous version is on the left, new version on the right:

—>

—>

I worked on making the EP's "E" and lights a little more pronounced, and the hex border more uniform

For WW, I tried to make the "WW" much more defined and legible, and improve the entire surrounding hex border.

Poll
Revisions ready to submit?
  Yes, submit it! Needs improvement (feedback appreciated!) Previous version is better Vote Count
88.9% (8) 11.1% (1) 0.0% (0) 9
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

Thanks again for all the comments so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niraD wrote:
garion wrote:
niraD wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Offset?

Could also just make it 15x15 and then stretch it to 16x16. Your image editor will balance it out well enough.
So, is anyone still working on a "Person of Interest" microbadge? I'd love to buy one with the windfall from the GeekGold Bonus for 2012 Support.

I came up with this:

I like the yellow reticle with the word "OF" in white inside it. It's a clean design that clearly identifies the show's artwork. I think this particular image could be cleaned up: remove the stray white pixels outside the yellow reticle, and make the white "OF" crisper.

There are no stray white pixels outside the reticle

I needed 15x15 pixels so there's just a bunch of transparent pixels (bottom and right) I filled with a slight shadow.
But I made the 'OF' crisper (without losing some of the white glow as seen in the original artwork):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Weinstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to get some feedback on the 4 different survivor character portraits for Kingdom Death: Monster I'm trying to put together as Microbadges. This is my first outing on making these, so lemme know what you think! (The original image I got them from for reference: http://kingdomdeath.com/ks_images/1700k-stretch-goal.jpg)

Here are the proposed Microbadges:

Poll
Do you think that these are ready?
  Yes No Needs Some More Work Please Stop this Insanity!!!
Survivor 1 (White hair male)
Survivor 2 (Brown hair male)
Survivor 3 (Brown hair female)
Survivor 4 (Blue hair female)
      31 answers
Poll created by YoungEngineer

Edit: Put up poll that represents all the 4 proposed badges (sorry for my endless edits shake)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:

Poll
Revisions ready to submit?
  Yes, submit it! Needs improvement (feedback appreciated!) Previous version is better Vote Count
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

I know the top left of the EP badge is bright while the bottom right is dark... But I would ignore it and go for a perfectly symmetrical hex with dark outlining.
Also take a look at these 2 at 800% (left is yours, right is my attempt):

The inside of the left one is clearly the result of resizing: no symmetry in both the lettering and the 2 green and orange dots. There's also no logic in the 'E'... Why is the top not identical to the bottom?
The right one involves no resizing and will result in a much crisper badge.
And very convenient: our brain will turn the square dots into nice round ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mb
Is anyone else looking forward to Stefan Feld's Rialto? I decided to create a couple of badges, one based on the logo and one on the iconic bridge itself. I really love Italy and while I've never been to Venice I'd love to visit someday, my better half stayed in the hotel right at the foot of the Rialto so it goes without saying this is my favourite! Not to mention this is probably one game I can get her to play without the hard sell

I would love to hear some feedback on these (of if you think they're good to go as is).

Here's the original:

I think the mouseover text would just be "Rialto fan".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
delinear wrote:

I like the bridge better. It's more interesting and the R is cropped too close to the top. Plus it's just an R and there are loads of them.

Would it work to put a bit of that wavy water line in front tho?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New proposal of mb
Médicos del Mundo Supporter

Médicos del Mundo is an independent association that works to fulfill the right to health for all people, especially those living in poverty, gender inequality and social exclusion or are victims of humanitarian crises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Balas
Greece
Kallithea
Athens
flag msg tools
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
badge
Es treibt mich ein dunkles Sehnen hinauf zur Waldeshöh', dort lös't sich auf in Tränen mein übergroßes Weh'.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nulli Secundus wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

Well okey dokey then let's poll this and see.

Poll
1. Walrus
2. Mouseover
Walrus fan
I am the walrus
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes – and ships – and sealing-wax – Of cabbages – and kings – And why the sea is boiling hot – And whether pigs have wings."
      18 answers
Poll created by crazylegs

A house divided...

Yeah tough one. I guess in this situation I should just go with your preference (it was you who requested it right? I can't remember now...)

Yes, 'twas me.

Well, between the most popular ones I'd go with the fourth one.
However you are the designer. Your creations, your choice

One thing is for sure though...
I wouldn't choose the "walrus fan" overtext.
The others are way more intresting.
I have a cunning plan...
Make two identical micros with different mouseovers!
There should be no rules in the weird microbadge category!

PS
I honestly don't see a bird.
Have you ever seen a duck with tusks???
Nor do I think that our Walrus friend appears beheaded in the 4th one (someone raised this topic I think).

What happened to the Walruses?

Kaffedrake wrote:

Nulli Secundus wrote:

Is this not for Interests > Animals?

Depends on the mouseover:

"Walrus fan" -> Interests > Animals
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes – and ships – and sealing-wax – Of cabbages – and kings – And why the sea is boiling hot – And whether pigs have wings." -> definitely weird...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mb
crazylegs wrote:
delinear wrote:

I like the bridge better. It's more interesting and the R is cropped too close to the top. Plus it's just an R and there are loads of them.

Would it work to put a bit of that wavy water line in front tho?

I re-cropped the "R" to allow the red border all around and did a bit of work to make the curve on the bottom and the R itself more pronounced as I wasn't entirely happy with it. I'm not a big fan of the game letter badges personally, but there are so many of them and they're so popular I guess they do have a lot of fans so I'm happy to present it for opinions. Here are the original (on the left) and reworked (on the right) versions:

I did try a version of the bridge with the water but I wasn't convinced, it felt like it detracted from the iconic bridge and that the simpler approach did it more justice, but again , here they are side by side for comparison, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Riverside
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nulli Secundus wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

Well okey dokey then let's poll this and see.

Poll
1. Walrus
2. Mouseover
Walrus fan
I am the walrus
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes – and ships – and sealing-wax – Of cabbages – and kings – And why the sea is boiling hot – And whether pigs have wings."
      18 answers
Poll created by crazylegs

A house divided...

Yeah tough one. I guess in this situation I should just go with your preference (it was you who requested it right? I can't remember now...)

Yes, 'twas me.

Well, between the most popular ones I'd go with the fourth one.
However you are the designer. Your creations, your choice

One thing is for sure though...
I wouldn't choose the "walrus fan" overtext.
The others are way more intresting.
I have a cunning plan...
Make two identical micros with different mouseovers!

PS
I honestly don't see a bird.
Have you ever seen a duck with tusks???
Nor do I think that our Walrus friend appears beheaded in the 4th one (someone raised this topic I think).

What happened to the Walruses?

Kaffedrake wrote:

Nulli Secundus wrote:

Is this not for Interests > Animals?

Depends on the mouseover:

"Walrus fan" -> Interests > Animals
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes – and ships – and sealing-wax – Of cabbages – and kings – And why the sea is boiling hot – And whether pigs have wings." -> definitely weird...

I will reiterate my previous comment: it's extremely difficult (nigh impossible) to tell what that bage is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a walrus, because it looks like it's trying to be a tucan (or some other large-beaked bird) without the bright colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:

Indeed.

down 1 px

down 2 px

can't decide which looks better, but the one down 2px most closely matches the proportions of the original

Thumbed for the down 2px, as you said, it's much closer to the original proportions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Balas
Greece
Kallithea
Athens
flag msg tools
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
badge
Es treibt mich ein dunkles Sehnen hinauf zur Waldeshöh', dort lös't sich auf in Tränen mein übergroßes Weh'.
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

I will reiterate my previous comment: it's extremely difficult (nigh impossible) to tell what that bage is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a walrus, because it looks like it's trying to be a tucan (or some other large-beaked bird) without the bright colors.

If so many people think this microbadge doesn't depict a Walrus, I suppose redesigning it is the only option...

Wish my microbadge design skills were better :/

PS
I still like the micros crazylegs designed!
What most likely confuses people is the odd posture of the Walrus.
Note that in the original picture the Walrus looked over his head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  149 , 150 , 151 , 152 , 153  Next »  [990] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.