Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
crazylegs wrote:
Can you reupload these with the mouseover as just 'Love Letter fan'? The names can stay, but seems an odd mouseover - I certainly would only buy it if the mouseover reflected the simple fandom for the game, but with my preferred image choice for the mb.

I think you're right, I prefer them with the simpler mouseover and just keeping the full name (just to make it obvious what they represent, although hopefully they're all reasonably obvious).

I've re-uploaded them (I think I've done it right, never had to do this before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Can you reupload these with the mouseover as just 'Love Letter fan'? The names can stay, but seems an odd mouseover - I certainly would only buy it if the mouseover reflected the simple fandom for the game, but with my preferred image choice for the mb.

I think you're right, I prefer them with the simpler mouseover and just keeping the full name (just to make it obvious what they represent, although hopefully they're all reasonably obvious).

I've re-uploaded them (I think I've done it right, never had to do this before).

Looks good to me, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot of an owl, chatter of leaves, by a spooky crossroads waits
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Billythehut wrote:
This was not because I don't respect your opinion, but rather because I wanted to remain true to the original logo.

Then you could have said as much in the thread and then someone could have said "But you're making a badge for BGG and not for Kate Rusby's fan site and their doing it is not a good argument" and then you could have disagreed that it was bad and said there was probably some deliberate design in the stitching and we could have hurled random abuse. Micro-abuse that builds better badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one:

mb

Looks really pixellated. Is it meant to be like that? The link in the pending queue takes me to a different thread entirely so I can't find the feedback here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Billythehut wrote:
This was not because I don't respect your opinion, but rather because I wanted to remain true to the original logo.

Then you could have said as much in the thread and then someone could have said "But you're making a badge for BGG and not for Kate Rusby's fan site and their doing it is not a good argument" and then you could have disagreed that it was bad and said there was probably some deliberate design in the stitching and we could have hurled random abuse. Micro-abuse that builds better badges.

& here is a place where we disagree. I'm happy to defend my design choices and I know you've seen me do so. However, I also don't see a need to respond to every no vote when I've submitted a design that has a strong majority of positive votes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I do not see this as an adversarial process, but rather as supportive peer review. So please continue to provide us with your suggestions. Just because every single one isn't taken doesn't mean they aren't helpful and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

It would probably help if this thread was laid out more like Geeklists, where sub-threads about particular badges can be grouped together (like they are in the request thread). It would make that kind of back and forth discussion a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Munny wrote:
New proposal of MB
Ridley Scott Fan

Could do with a bit more contrast.

Ok, with a bit more contrast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Billythehut wrote:
& here is a place where we disagree. I'm happy to defend my design choices and I know you've seen me do so. However, I also don't see a need to respond to every no vote when I've submitted a design that has a strong majority of positive votes.

This argument sounds good in isolation, but it's not consistent with the frequent insistence that people shouldn't vote no in polls unless they're also willing to take the time to provide instructions. If anonymous, unarticulated disapproval holds no weight, then anonymous, unarticulated approval should hold no weight either.

delinear wrote:
It would probably help if this thread was laid out more like Geeklists, where sub-threads about particular badges can be grouped together (like they are in the request thread). It would make that kind of back and forth discussion a lot easier.

The geeklist format has been used for VGG and RPGG badgery. I spent just a little time in the VGG list and only remember that I liked it less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymous pollster wrote:
I spent just a little time in the VGG list and only remember that I liked it less.

Please could you give more feedback on this negative reaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
crazylegs wrote:

Loading times are considerably higher for geeklists than for threads.

Geeklist subscriptions are harder to follow because new content can appear anywhere on a page.

Compartmentalization makes it easier to pay attention to just a few things and successfully avoid getting involved in the rest.

No participation from casual visitors/browsers because of all of the above + no front page visibility.

Huge monsters appear from between the cracks.

Paraflanging goes awry.

Energy sources fail.

Civilization crumbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

This argument sounds good in isolation, but it's not consistent with the frequent insistence that people shouldn't vote no in polls unless they're also willing to take the time to provide instructions. If anonymous, unarticulated disapproval holds no weight, then anonymous, unarticulated approval should hold no weight either.

Sorry, but I can hardly be held responsible for the arguments posted by others that I am not in agreement with. I do not claim “that people shouldn't vote no in polls unless they're also willing to take the time to provide instructions.” In truth a no vote with an elaboration as to why is much more helpful, but I have reworked badges based on no votes without explanations. No doubt I will do so in the future as well at times.

Again, this is why you should continue to provide input as you have in the past. It is more helpful than simply voting no by itself, and so is more appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

(...)
Huge monsters appear from between the cracks.

Paraflanging goes awry.

Energy sources fail.

Civilization crumbles.

First of all, I'm not huge! Just... bigish.

Second, are you saying civilization is a cookie?
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
not sure what's happening to the process.

And as usual there are other badges in the queue where suggestions for improvements have obviously gone ignored. So I wonder how people ever started to feel that anything beyond clicking no in a poll simply wasn't worth their time?

I don't know. I had like 11 yes votes to 4 no in my original science patrol badge idea and still didn't submit it because I listened to the feedback the no votes gave. And then I look at the pending badges and see submissions without polls, etc...Meh, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, I'm learning so that's worth more to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok! Poll Time

Proposal for a microbadge in TV catagory -
- "Science Patrol Fan" from the 1960s Japanese TV Show Ultraman, this microbadge represents the logo of the Science Patrol.

reference picture - logo on Hyata's (Ultraman) helmet -

Poll: Submit this for approval?
- "Science Patrol Fan"
Is this badge ready for submission?
Yes, submit it now!
No, it still needs more work (please comment)
No, there is no place for this pointless microbadge - GOOD DAY SIR!
      10 answers
Poll created by Schwartzkopf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
efilips wrote:
I wanted a microbadge for me an ageing "Gamer dad". I could not find any so I made this.

Mouse over will be "Gamer Dad"

Poll
What do you think should this be approved?
Yes
No
      17 answers
Poll created by efilips

This got approved but the no votes outweigh the yes votes. Did I miss something??

I guess it doesn't matter now as there are 9 buyers but not sure what's happening to the process.

I agree, there was plenty of feedback on this one mb too, but it snuck through with all of the "flaws" that were identified. I think part of the issue on this one (for me at least) was that the designer dropped in, posted in the feedback thread and uploaded the image to the queue and then "disappeared" (didn't respond to any of the feedback, etc...).

I completely understand about the "design by committee" phenomena (and that isn't what the thread is for), but I do think that the constructive feedback is worth trying to incorporate (even if/when it is ultimately rejected)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
United States
Highland Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
This one:
mb
Looks really pixellated. Is it meant to be like that? The link in the pending queue takes me to a different thread entirely so I can't find the feedback here.

I really don't get this one. Original post had no poll, no thumbs and I commented on that it needed improvement. It does look different than the original, but I don't recall a revision being posted to this forum (sorry if I missed it...). It is better, but should still use a little work. Source image from Chee is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
This one:
mb

I really don't get this one. Original post had no poll, no thumbs and I commented on that it needed improvement. It does look different than the original, but I don't recall a revision being posted to this forum (sorry if I missed it...). It is better, but should still use a little work. Source image from Chee is

It was posted in a different thread. The link is a post saying they'd buy it, but no link to this forum:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10978297#10978297
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
United States
Highland Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

It was posted in a different thread. The link is a post saying they'd buy it, but no link to this forum:

Sorry, let me clarify, I don't get why it's in the queue or why it didn't go through this forum again. I agree with your insights Tom, and I think that it's really odd (worrisome?) that they would link a different forum as approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
MrMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

Sorry, let me clarify, I don't get why it's in the queue or why it didn't go through this forum again. I agree with your insights Tom, and I think that it's really odd (worrisome?) that they would link a different forum as approval.

This is where the admins pull rank and decline the submission, telling the submitter what needs to be done (again...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman fan
badge
Rallyman fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping my poll:

Gravey wrote:
Here are some microbadges for Memoir '44 expansions that don't have any yet:

Memoir '44: Equipment Pack fan
Memoir '44: Winter Wars fan
Memoir '44: Battle Maps series fan

Poll
Ready to submit?
  Yes, go ahead! Needs improvement (please elaborate!) No, don't submit it Vote Count
66.7% (6) 11.1% (1) 22.2% (2) 9
62.5% (5) 25.0% (2) 12.5% (1) 8
25.0% (2) 50.0% (4) 25.0% (2) 8
Total Voters 9
This poll is now closed.   9 answers
Poll created by Gravey
Closes: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 am

To anyone who voted "No" or "Needs Improvement" on the Equipment Pack or Battle Maps microbadges, would you care to provide some feedback? What do you feel needs fixing, or why should they not be submitted?

I've tried to stick as close to the existing Memoir '44 microbadges (http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5748). For reference, here are the original expansion icons I based the microbadges off of:

Thanks for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mb
Gravey wrote:
Bumping my poll:

Gravey wrote:
Here are some microbadges for Memoir '44 expansions that don't have any yet:

Memoir '44: Equipment Pack fan
Memoir '44: Winter Wars fan
Memoir '44: Battle Maps series fan

Poll
Ready to submit?
  Yes, go ahead! Needs improvement (please elaborate!) No, don't submit it Vote Count
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

To anyone who voted "No" or "Needs Improvement" on the Equipment Pack or Battle Maps microbadges, would you care to provide some feedback? What do you feel needs fixing, or why should they not be submitted?

I've tried to stick as close to the existing Memoir '44 microbadges (http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/5748). For reference, here are the original expansion icons I based the microbadges off of:

Thanks for any feedback!

I missed this the first time around but I would say the first one is really clear and good to go, the second one is a little fuzzy, I'd probably sharpen the text a little as it's not clear they are W's. The third one again maybe needs the "map" text sharpening to make it more readable. I'd also be tempted to a) remove the red text (it's not recognisable and without it you will be able to get the crosshatch pattern across more) and b) shave off the corners as that's quite distinctive in the larger version above but not obvious in the microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Sorry, but I can hardly be held responsible for the arguments posted by others that I am not in agreement with. I do not claim “that people shouldn't vote no in polls unless they're also willing to take the time to provide instructions.”

Let us together heap abuse on the next person to express this sentiment and destroy them.

Schwartzkopf wrote:
Proposal for a microbadge in TV catagory -
- "Science Patrol Fan" from the 1960s Japanese TV Show Ultraman, this microbadge represents the logo of the Science Patrol.

reference picture - logo on Hyata's (Ultraman) helmet -

Now let's study the proportions... the rocket on the helmet is about 50/50 nose and fins, while yours is mostly fins. If you push that part down one pixel or two, might it also help set the rocket apart from the star more clearly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman fan
badge
Rallyman fan
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
I missed this the first time around but I would say the first one is really clear and good to go, the second one is a little fuzzy, I'd probably sharpen the text a little as it's not clear they are W's. The third one again maybe needs the "map" text sharpening to make it more readable. I'd also be tempted to a) remove the red text (it's not recognisable and without it you will be able to get the crosshatch pattern across more) and b) shave off the corners as that's quite distinctive in the larger version above but not obvious in the microbadge.

Thanks for the notes! Here's a second attempt at the Winter Wars badge with more recognizable Ws—the last serifs on each letter are so tiny to begin with:

(Edit: Just softened a couple dark pixels at the bottom tip, unfortunately this one won't show up in the poll.)

You're definitely right about the Battle Maps badge: one pixel of anti-aliasing isn't enough to make the corners look angled. Here's a second version, also with a hopefully more legible "MAP" text:

And a second version of that second version, with the red text removed:

Poll
How about these improvements?
  Yes, ready to go now Better but still needs some work No, not an improvement Vote Count
Winter Wars - better Ws
66.7% (4) 16.7% (1) 16.7% (1) 6
Battle Maps - better text and corners
0.0% (0) 40.0% (2) 60.0% (3) 5
Battle Maps - better text and corners & no red text
33.3% (2) 16.7% (1) 50.0% (3) 6
Total Voters 6
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by Gravey
Closes: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
delinear wrote:

Thanks for the notes! Here's a second attempt at the Winter Wars badge with more recognizable Ws—the last serifs on each letter are so tiny to begin with:

You're definitely right about the Battle Maps badge: one pixel of anti-aliasing isn't enough to make the corners look angled. Here's a second version, also with a hopefully more legible "MAP" text:

And a second version of that second version, with the red text removed:

Poll
  Yes, ready to go now Better but still needs some work No, not an improvement Vote Count
Winter Wars - better Ws
Total Voters 6
Poll created by Gravey

I can't make out what any of those are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:

Poll
Ready to submit?
Total Voters 9
Poll created by Gravey

Poll
Winter Wars - better Ws
Total Voters 6
Poll created by Gravey

They look as if they are simply resized. That won't do the trick. The hexes should be drawn manually and the resized inside added afterwards (after tweaking it). In fact it would even be better to use no resizing at all and to do it all by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  150 , 151 , 152 , 153 , 154  Next »  [1006] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.