Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Mixer
United States
Orrington
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K... in Steam Barons, you can't run on other player's rails. You can't pick up goods from a town until someone builds the tile, so....

Who owns the tile?!? Our game ground to a halt because we could not find this covered at ALL in the rules.

The town itself is a button in the middle of the tile, with track radiating out to other tiles. If I spend the money to build the town tile, do I own all the track on that tile? If so, then no one else can deliver that good since in Barons you can't run on other players tracks.

Or, is it now considered an open space, and everyone can grab the good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I believe it is like Steam where if you build into the town, you get all the tracks. If any are abandoned after that turn, then they are free for everyone to build into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Company owns the tile and track. And then it follows the same rules as basic Steam.

You put a marker on all track, and if that track is not extended during the next turn, the track is neutral and anyone else can build on it.

If you have controlling interest in the company, then you're making decisions about building track.

The reason why it might not be clear (and I'm going off memory here, so forgive me) is that the rules probably say something along the lines of "players follow all rules in the base Steam game with the following exceptions in this expansion" or something like that.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Insert witty meta-joke here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The town itself is a button in the middle of the tile, with track radiating out to other tiles. If I spend the money to build the town tile, do I own all the track on that tile? If so, then no one else can deliver that good since in Barons you can't run on other players tracks.

Yes, when you build a track tile that has a town, the company that builds it owns all of the track on the chosen tile and would be the only company eligible to deliver the cube on the town, unless another company built a link into the town later. This isn't covered by the Steam Barons rules because it is the same as the Steam rules for track building.

Another company can reach that town by upgrading the tile, replacing it with a tile that has more tracks while preserving all currently owned tracks. However, it is possible for a player to build a tile that has the maximum number of track stubs (four) so that the tile cannot be upgraded, but that company would have to continue to build on all of the unfinished links each turn to retain ownership until they form completed links, or the track will become unowned and available to any other company to build to and claim. Again this is all the same as the standard rules for building track in Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Orrington
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that clears it up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.