Hide
24 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: pirate king question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob rico
msg tools
His special states "before a base scores, you may move this minion there.." can u use his special during anyone's turn or just your turn alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah O.
msg tools
He has to already be in play on another base for this to work, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the only way "move" works not just the King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah O.
msg tools
rickert wrote:
That's the only way "move" works not just the King.

Yeah. That was my assumption, but it's the only card I've seen (from previews and such) where it's not obvious from context. The other ones say things like "move this minion to another base" or "move any number of your minions to other bases", so it's clear that they're coming from a base already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But move is defined in the rulebook and that's what I went by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah O.
msg tools
rickert wrote:
But move is defined in the rulebook and that's what I went by.

It's defined as moving (hah) from one location to another, but "location" isn't defined, and because sometimes things "move" to the discard pile (like the text on First Mate) it's not clear that bases are the only locations.

I think you're right still, but I expect to have to explain that card to new players each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose, but I have been telling players that bases are the only locations, at least for now. The discard pile is the discard pile I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob rico
msg tools
Ok the pirate king has to be in play to use his special. Now the question I want to know is can u use his special on anyone's turn or just my turn?. For example if a player plays a minion on a base and that base is about to break, can I move my pirate king on that base on my opponents turn
? Keep in mind the pirate king is in play on another base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use a special on another player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Pirate King is in play (on a base) and another player plays a minion that causes a different base to score. You can move the Pirate King over to the scoring base to maybe steal some victory points. The second paragraph on page 6 of the rules defines this.

Specials can be used on other player's turns unless otherwise noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob rico
msg tools
Thanks for the info guys great help.!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Aquino
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can you play him from your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rawjames wrote:

Has to be in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
rawjames wrote:

Yes just like any other minion. Any minion, even one with a Special or a Special entering play ability can always be played as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as the pirate king Ability is a special ability, these as the rule book states can be used by cards in play on the table or cards in your hand.

So a base goes to score, you can play wether it is your turn or not pirate king either from your hand or from another base.

Move says from one location to another, not one base to another. Location being your hand.

So it can be played using the special ability rule from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
I read it as the pirate king Ability is a special ability, these as the rule book states can be used by cards in play on the table or cards in your hand.

So a base goes to score, you can play wether it is your turn or not pirate king either from your hand or from another base.

Move says from one location to another, not one base to another. Location being your hand.

So it can be played using the special ability rule from your hand.

That is incorrect however. The use of the term location should have probably been "base" in the rulebook. However if you compare the wording on the Pirate King to that of Shinobi you can see how they were worded differently to allow Shinobi to be played from your hand.

Minions cannot move unless they are already on a base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am dismayed that "location" was in there instead of base, that is what the card does. The Pirate King moves (not gets played) when a base scores. You cannot use the Special to play the Pirate King from your hand, your discard, or your neighbor's game closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Todd. Nice to know I had been playing it right and I have played it a lot since GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool cheers for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to bring this one back but...

I just got in to this game (in fact I have yet to play my first) and it looks great. When I was looking at the cards I immediately had a question about the Pirate King that is kinda similar to what has already been discussed. I am so used to playing Star Wars: The Card Game that I have really gotten used to translating card texts and this one I might be over thinking.

Is the Pirate King's ability one that can ONLY be played JUST as a Base is about to be scored? The card says "before" a base is scored, not "JUST before". Which leads me to wonder if this is a special ability that can be used to move him around at will from base to base... er... "before" they are scored, as in... while they are still on the board.

I know, it's lame. But I got a pretty technical group of friends and they WILL be wanting this one clarified.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Alright I'm not 100% sure if I understand what you are asking but I'll give it a try. I believe the answer you are looking for is "JUST before"

This is from the rulebook:
Quote:

The Big Score
Score a base if the total power of all minions on
that base equals or exceeds the base’s breakpoint
(see page 7). If more than one base is ready to
score, the player whose turn it is decides which
one to score first.

When a base has been chosen to score, each
player first gets to use any Special abilities that
happen “before” the base scores.
If the total
power on a base drops below its breakpoint,
you still finish scoring the base.

For example, a pirate player sees that she will be
the runner up at Jungle Oasis. Since that’s worth
0 VP, she plays Full Sail (it’s Special) to move all
her minions away to another base. That drops the
total power on this base below 12, but since it’s
already started scoring, it still finishes.

Which I believe means that "Before a base score" abilities are only "just before." You could probably try to make an argument that "Before a base score" includes both "any time before" and "just before" but we have nothing to support this interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Riggs
Netherlands
Kerkrade
Limburg
flag msg tools
Hadouken
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jason. Welcome aboard.
I'm also not sure what the question is, but you can only use the Special ability of the Pirate King to move him once from any base where he is currently in, towards the base that is in the scoring phase.
Take note that after everyone is done with playing "before a base" cards, you score that base, dividing Victory Points amongst the players. Then before all minions and actions there on that base are discarded, players can use their "After this base is scored" Specials to move a First Mate from there to another base, or Return an alien Scout to the players hand. After that, the rest of the remaining minions/actions on that base will go to the owner's discard pile (including the Pirate King) and a new base will be put in for replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, and yeah, this is exactly how I thought it would play. Appreciate the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.