Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finished two turns of Scenario 6, "to Rostov" and gotten through the supply phase of turn 3.
Damn, there are lots of rules and loads of counters and chits. Difficult to keep them all in place. Like a game of Jenga-move one and the others fall over.

So, although I am sure I messed up some of the rules, the Germans after only two turns seem to be in a hopeless situation. Only a few units are not out of supply and more than half the motorized units are out of fuel.

The weather was snow and it has turned to mud and storms.
The attack supply units cannot get to the front fast enough and even if they do, they will either be used up getting some, but not all of the stacks in supply OR be able to remove the +2 drm for only a very few attacks using them as attack supply.

I do not see how the Germans can possibly succeed. At this point I think I will try to play out turn 3, but if the Germans do not miraculously turn things around, will probably put the game back on the shelf.

Far too much work for too little fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played any games with EFS veterans, or only solo? I've only played a teeny bit of EFS, but I have played a fair amount of OCS. While they take different approaches in many ways, they have roughly similar complexity - and I've always been amazed at how much OCS vets can accomplish given resources that seem so limited to me. Big system games like OCS and EFS (ASL too) are very difficult to learn well playing solo - it's not that you get rules wrong, but that you don't see how to properly leverage them to accomplish your objectives. This is exactly why I've pretty much given up on playing huge operational monsters like this, at least for now - I don't have time for proper F2F play, don't like playing online, and I know I'm not doing the system justice playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking another stab at trying to learn either EFS or OCS...but I have such massive analysis paralysis after I've gotten the counters set up and I'm ready to start playing.

Todd is right, as least for me...these are WAY to complicated for me to learn on my own. I was actually getting to the point with OCS that it was starting to make sense, hanging out online with one of the resident OCS fanatics, but I went into another of my video game/WoW phases and quit playing board games again. That's a yearly habit it with me it seems...and it makes learning games quite the chore .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I'm taking another stab at trying to learn either EFS or OCS...but I have such massive analysis paralysis after I've gotten the counters set up and I'm ready to start playing.

That's another reason it's so helpful to play these face to face - having someone there in the room waiting on your turn prods you into just doing something. That, in turn, keeps the game moving and actually helps you learn more in the long run. Veteran ASL players coaching newbies are especially keen on this - "Play fast, play more, learn more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
tppytel wrote:
madDdog67 wrote:

That's another reason it's so helpful to play these face to face - having someone there in the room waiting on your turn prods you into just doing something. That, in turn, keeps the game moving and actually helps you learn more in the long run. Veteran ASL players coaching newbies are especially keen on this - "Play fast, play more, learn more".

Good point. Sometimes even VASSAL causes one to try to get that move 'perfect'
I think you have to read the rules, throw the dam book down and start moving something.
You can always reset.

I just did this with my first real OCS game Guderian's Blitzkrieg II in the
5.2 scenario

Now its almost strangely fun. I'm sure I am messing up, but I am getting over the hang up of the desire for 'perfect' rules execution... is it entertaining, insightful and fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not super hung up on messing up the rules, although fewer mistakes would be better.
I agree with you guys that to learn this solo is at the limit of my ability .
That being said, I don't know if it would be that much fun anyway, the way this scenario is turning out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
radsailor wrote:
I am not super hung up on messing up the rules, although fewer mistakes would be better.
I agree with you guys that to learn this solo is at the limit of my ability .
That being said, I don't know if it would be that much fun anyway, the way this scenario is turning out.

eek... dont scare me.
I own the series and am yet to get to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't be scared. Different things appeal to different people. At first I thought I would love the game. I played the intro scenario and the Sea of Azov twice.
"To Rostov" just seems hopeless from the beginning for the Germans and so to me, to put out all the effort the game requires, is not worth it.

You might love it and I hope you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan white
United States
Duncanville
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree with you. I've been off games for quite a while, but I recently started playing ASL again,solo, and although I'm moving very slowly I realize that I am playing it correctly and I'm surer of myself than I've been in a long time. I'm about to start learning OCS and later EFS and all that will be solo. I figure if I move slowly and look at the games posted, I'll be alright. Don't be afraid to play solo because when you're alone, you pay special attention to how the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.