Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim Pierloot
Belgium
Ekeren
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mb
characters are discarded from play if their wp is ever 0.

Does that mean that the tactics set can hardly play any allies, as most of them have 0 wp to start with. Are they able to play at least one round before being discarded or can they just not enter play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if you play a WP0 ally, he comes in and gets discarded right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba Stian
Norway
Molde
flag msg tools
mb
Concerning this...

If I play Snowbourn Scout can I trigger its response before discarding?

Response: After Snowbourn Scout enters play, choose a location. Place 1 progress token on that location.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the quest card is a "Forced" effect, so thus it must be resolved before and "Response" effects can trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I would actually think the opposite. Forced effects certainly prevent you from playing any sort of actions... but the Snowbourn Scout's response triggers upon him entering play. Since he enters play then immediately leaves play, the fact that he entered at all should allow his ability to trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Forced effects generally do take precedence over responses (that's why you can't use Meneldor's Flight to save a Winged Guardian or Vassal of the Windlord). However, the effect on the quest card is just a passive condition. I can't think of a relevant precedent involving a passive effect and a player response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts would be that a response requires a decision whereas a passive effect doesn't. Following those lines, a passive constant effect would hit immediately, before the player gets a chance to decide whether the response happens or not. Implying no placement of a token. I don't have anything official to back that up though, just thinking it through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having said that, the FAQ pretty clearly says if two simultaneous effects are in play, the first player chooses the order, and nowhere does any rule or FAQ (to my knowledge) imply that passive constant effects have precedence over any other type of effect, so Vizzini says therefore you can safely drink the cup in front of you ... and place a token. I think I might ask Nate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Answer
Ahh, I had the right of it the first time. Nate replies:

The constant effect would take priority, as we have a continual (in this case pre-existing) condition interacting with a response (after he enters play) -- so the card enters play and is affected by the game state before the opportunity to trigger the response (after it enters play) arises.

OP, can you append " - official answer received" to the thread header. Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.