United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolor is a 12-point Gladiator with a 5/3/4 distribution. His special ability is continuous (not requiring dice activation), which makes him effectively just a hair better than a 5/3/5.

Since he's likely to win initiative each round, he's usually able to get in a first strike against an opponent who doesn't have a ranged attack. When he lands a successful strike, the opponent is likely to choose blue speed dice to sacrifice for the hits. Why? Well, they don't want to sacrifice black defense dice against Dolor's 5 attack, and they don't want to sacrifice red attack dice because they want to capitalize on Dolor's biggest weakness of 3 defense. So they're left with sacrificing speed, which they'll do because they probably figure they're going to continue to lose initiative anyway due to Dolor's special ability.

The counter-strike against Dolor is likely to cause hits, since Dolor's weakness is his 3 Defense score. However, if the opponent has chosen to sacrifice speed from Dolor's initial hit, Dolor is safe to keep pace with them and also sacrifice speed on the counter-strike. The net effect is that both gladiators have gotten a little slower, but Dolor maintains his first-strike probability and his big 5-dice attack. With this large attack power and first strike potential, Dolor is able to win many of his matches through stubborn attrition alone.

Regarding equipment, if Dolor is your main man, you'll want to save some gold for when Armor comes up. This will help compensate for his weak defense. Of course, compounding his attack power with a weapon is a perfectly viable "glass cannon" tactic as well.

Overall, Dolor is a powerhouse who will command a large payment at auction, but that's just the start of his cost. If you choose to add Dolor to your stable, beware that you'll need to keep some gold in your treasury when you're not the Host. Because if he loses in the Arena, the Host will expect a large sum to spare his life -- and will certainly entertain counter-offers to end it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can NOT wait to try out a full game of Spartacus this weekend. I'm glad I picked it up at GenCon, and got my grubby little hands on Dolor, too...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your hero has 4 speed, you might consider taking your first hits on attack rather than speed when fighting dolor - you still have a shot at out-speeding dolor, and if you go down to 3 speed, you'll never win init again and dolor will dance around you all day, darting in and out before you can get a hit off.

Also, if you want to ruin someones day, get dolor a trident and a javelin. 5 attack 4 attack on the first turn before the other player gets a turn.

This works for any hero with 4 speed, but that extra attack die and his ability to consistently win init in the 4 speed vs 4 speed first turn makes it all that more deadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
dolor will dance around you all day, darting in and out before you can get a hit off.

If I'm fighting against Dolor when neither of us have ranged weapons, my speed shouldn't matter once Dolor has moved into an adjacent space, right?

Unless I'm misinterpreting the rules, on your turn you can both move and attack. You can do them in either order -- move then attack, or attack then move -- but you can't split your move into two parts and attack in between them.

So once Dolor moves in and strikes, I will strike then step away (even just 1 space). On Dolor's next turn, this forces him to step adjacent to me again (burning up all of his movement for the turn) before he can strike. This means I can counter-strike and move away 1 space again, etc. So it doesn't seem like Speed dice have much of an impact once someone has closed for melee combat and no one has a ranged weapon. We're both getting the same number of attack chances. Granted, Dolor is getting them first, which is what makes him such a badass, but the opponent is still able to strike back the same number of times, right? Am I messing something up with the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewington
United States
Crane
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing you have to remember is that the winner of initiative can go first or second. If your gladiator backs up a step then Dolor backs up till he is in range of you but you don't have the speed to get to him. And with the arena you can't back up forever. Eventually it get to the point where your gladiator has had his turn but not attacked. Dolor dances in and attacks, then wins initiative, attacks and dances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Saan wrote:
dolor will dance around you all day, darting in and out before you can get a hit off.

If I'm fighting against Dolor when neither of us have ranged weapons, my speed shouldn't matter once Dolor has moved into an adjacent space, right?

Unless I'm misinterpreting the rules, on your turn you can both move and attack. You can do them in either order -- move then attack, or attack then move -- but you can't split your move into two parts and attack in between them.

So once Dolor moves in and strikes, I will strike then step away (even just 1 space). On Dolor's next turn, this forces him to step adjacent to me again (burning up all of his movement for the turn) before he can strike. This means I can counter-strike and move away 1 space again, etc. So it doesn't seem like Speed dice have much of an impact once someone has closed for melee combat and no one has a ranged weapon. We're both getting the same number of attack chances. Granted, Dolor is getting them first, which is what makes him such a badass, but the opponent is still able to strike back the same number of times, right? Am I messing something up with the rules?

If you have higher speed than the opponent , you can 'dance' around them and cause hits without taking them in turn. Take this example.

Lets say you have 4 speed and the opponent has 2.

Turn 1: You win init, and make the other player go first. If they move up 2, then you get to run in and hit them. Generally, on the first turn, they will try to stay >4 away from you.

Turn 2: You are now 4 spaces away from the opponent. You tell them to go first. They can keep backing up, but eventually they will be at the wall, so this is just a stalling tactic, so we will ignore it. You go second, move in, and attack. The opponents turn is over, so they do not get an attack, since they cant keep up with you.

Turn 3: You win init. You choose to go first and move 4 spaces away. The other player cant keep up.

Rinse and repeat. Higher speed means you can win most fights without getting hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the rule allowing the initiative winner to choose whether they want to go first or second. That makes a big difference.

Damn, now I want to go play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the rule allowing the initiative winner to choose whether they want to go first or second. That makes a big difference.

Damn, now I want to go play again.
:D

Haha, yeah. I think it was our second game when people started realizing how good speed was. The first gladiator with 4 speed sold for an INSANE amount(In retrospect, probably too much, since he only had 2 attack).

All this said - if you have better speed, it doesnt hand you the fight. If you have better defense and/or attack, You can just slowly slog towards them and basically hope you survive once the other player is pinned up against the other side of the arena. Or, just hope for one lucky roll on initiative to bash his skull in.

If your speed is bad, then invest in armor or a net. If your speed is good, invest in weapons.

All other things being equal though, the person with the higher speed is a pretty sure bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.