Hide
8 Posts

Small World Underground» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shadow Mimes..useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dr lloyd
msg tools
Maybe I am confused, but the Shadow mime offers the ability to swap a special ability with another on the open races queue, right?
Why?
Why not get the race with the special ability you want *and* have a racial ability. Is there any value to the Shadow mime except to save a few coppers one time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The fact that they have 7 units which is actually quite a lot. The number of units a race has is a big factor in what race you want and most races have 5 or 6 units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Mimes in spot number 1 with the power you want in spot number 6, saves you 5 coins, which would likely be picked up by all your other opponents. Assuming each oppont gets 1 coins, that will be a difference of 6 coins.

Also the power to chose the best power, at the right moment is strong. Want offensive? You take that. Want defensive? You take that. Flexibility is a strong power.

And 7 units is not bad eiher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Shadow Mimes in spot number 1 with the power you want in spot number 6, saves you 5 coins, which would likely be picked up by all your other opponents. Assuming each opponent gets 1 coins, that will be a difference of 6 coins.

Also the power to chose the best power, at the right moment is strong. Want offensive? You take that. Want defensive? You take that. Flexibility is a strong power.

And 7 units is not bad either.

Therefore...you can say it is the best add on power. (See above for brilliant reasoning)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you seem confused. Mimes mimic RACE abilities not specials. In our first two games mimes were able to mimic Flames and be quite powerful w/11 or 12 units instead of Flames' max of 9, at best. They were BEASTS and cheaper b/c flames were further down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
you seem confused. Mimes mimic RACE abilities not specials.
You played it wrong.
They do mimic Special Powers.

This is the text on p. 11 of the rulebook :

Quote:
Shadow Mimes
When picking a Race and Special Power combo (p. 4), if you select the Shadow Mimes you may immediately swap their Special Power with the Special Power of your choice, from among the 5 others visible in the list of combos. You do not swap or pick up the coins (if any) that may be on the Combo initially associated with the Special Power you are mimicking. You only swap the Special Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
you seem confused. Mimes mimic RACE abilities not specials.
You played it wrong.
They do mimic Special Powers.

This is the text on p. 11 of the rulebook :

Quote:
Shadow Mimes
When picking a Race and Special Power combo (p. 4), if you select the Shadow Mimes you may immediately swap their Special Power with the Special Power of your choice, from among the 5 others visible in the list of combos. You do not swap or pick up the coins (if any) that may be on the Combo initially associated with the Special Power you are mimicking. You only swap the Special Power.

Shoot, you're right. I even re-read that before posting, but somehow still misread it. Well, that makes them WAY less powerful, but I can still see it being useful, under the right circumstances. Also, it could be a good way to screw up another powerful combo for someone else. (For instance, I had Immortal Iron Dwarves in our first game, before we really knew all the powers, and they were pretty powerful after racking up a few hammers. If they are too rich for you but will be available for someone else later, then stealing Immortal seems like a good idea.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can best compare the shadow mimes to the ratmen of SW
the ratmen get 8 base race tokens + special power
the shadow mimes get 7 base race tokens + special power of their choice from those available.
it seems fair to me, the ability to choose the best applicable special power for the current situation is worth that 1 race token.

sure there are more useful races, but that's where bidding comes into play to balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.