Subject: 1962/1964 Color variation ?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the difference in color on these boxes a real difference between the 1962 and the 1964 versions?

1962(?) - Note aqua above 50, and purple above 75

1964(?) - Note blue 50 and red above 75

In other words is this a quality control problem, or a real difference between two versions that you can see on the boxtop?

The 1962 edition would of course not have the 1964 "Introduction Manual."

---
In other words, you can't "make" a 1962 version out of a 1964 version by throwing the 1964 introduction manual away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support Juxtatype's fascinating International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games & parts are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are two different printings, although I don't know what leads you to believe that the second image is from 1964. Both boxes clearly state "1962" on the front.

Although some colours can be fugitive and some colours may fade, this looks like two separate printings to me. The evenness of the colours suggests that this is so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The image was dated "1964" by the submitter and has following caption:

Box art from the 1964 version. Some colors changed from 1962 version.

My date assignments are absolutely questions not facts.

I know zilch about how such printing would be done. I was guessing that the "1964" edition was simplified to use fewer colors of ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
Please support Juxtatype's fascinating International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games & parts are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 1964 version with the 1962 date left on the front. Your supposition concerning fewer colours of ink may be perfectly true as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the contents go, both versions seem to have same cards & rules manual which has a 1962 date.

The "Introduction Manual" has a 1964 date as I noted. See:

So I'm trying to figure out if there was a "real" difference in box art between 1962 and 1964 versions, or if this was what I'd call a "quality control" problem.

I looked at a lot of these on ebay. Without having the two versions side by side it is really had to spot. I only found a couple that looked like the top semicircle and the semicircle above the 75 were different colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a "real" difference. I know that in this edition,

otherwise identical boxes will sometimes have different coloured card trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.