Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
179 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Card Maker 0.99.1.9 (Updated 8/3/2015) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] diy-cards [+] pnp_toolbox [+] cards [+] pnp [+] [View All]
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mb
Re: Card Maker 0.98.0.3
Fluxmeister wrote:
NOTE: This is a Windows .NET application... and no I will not be porting it to the Mac or other operating system in the foreseeable future cry.

Just ran across this thread. I was able to run this in Mono 2.10.9 on OS/X and get this far:

But when I tried to open the sample project, I got the following error:
http://pastebin.com/8wGgP7Vb

I'm sure that MoMA would point out exactly which parts will cause problems for running this app cross-platform, but the fact that the initial screen comes up without any modifications is an encouraging first step.

I don't have a lot of free time at the moment, but if you'd like to get this running cross-platform, I'd love to assist where I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
Just ran across this thread. I was able to run this in Mono 2.10.9 on OS/X and get this far:

But when I tried to open the sample project, I got the following error:
http://pastebin.com/8wGgP7Vb

I'm sure that MoMA would point out exactly which parts will cause problems for running this app cross-platform, but the fact that the initial screen comes up without any modifications is an encouraging first step.

I don't have a lot of free time at the moment, but if you'd like to get this running cross-platform, I'd love to assist where I can.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't tried running MoMA against the executable for over a year. Sadly there are a lot of "TODO" items reported in Mono that seem fairly critical in relation to drawing graphics paths. The crash you hit wasn't even related to something indicated by the MoMA report as potentially problematic so it's likely some other .net vs. mono issue. It might be fun to get the application running in Mono so I might revisit the idea in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edit: Never mind I had incorrect printer settings.

I think Card Maker is printing cards smaller than specified. I'm trying to print poker sized cards, which are 250x350 pixels at 100 dpi. Setting up a document in Photoshop to those dimensions prints at the correct size. It should be possible to print 9 poker cards on a sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried it with Mono on Linux (version 2.10.8.1 (Debian 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) and seems to work. Whilst the sample project doesn't work once opened, this seems to be due more to "\" vs "/" paths and so on.

I've just loaded the CSV I was using for my cards and arranged and exported them as images. This is exactly the kind of app I've been needing, so thank you very much!

Howto:
------
[0) run 'mono Cardmaker.exe' in its directory]
1) Start new project
2) Adjust layout - NB a normal poker card at 2.5"x3.5" is 750x1050px at 300dpi, (1000x1400px at 400dpi)
3) Click 'Add' in the bottom of Layout control and type the names of the various components you want on the card, one per line. (Bottom of the list is the bottom layer on the card)
4) Right click the layout card in the Project pane ('Default') and click 'Add reference...' - this attaches a CSV file to the project for your cards. NB the first column is hard-coded to be the duplication number for each card.
5) Static components - Add text and link to images as you wish. Move and resizing the element works fine.
6) Variable components - in the 'Definition' box, use "@[column_name]" to pull text from an attached CSV or GSpreadsheet.
7) Once set up as you want, click File -> Export Project to Images. On linux, as the app uses '\', pick the current directory. It'll save them with whatever path prefix it thinks it needs.

eg: If in foo/Cardmaker, and you try to export them to 'foo/Cardmaker/export', you'll just get images in the current directory named 'export\....' with the path delimiter as part of the filename!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow that's awesome! I'm glad (and surprised whistle) it was able to work for you in Mono+Linux. I'll do a pass on "\" usage and switch it to be the OS independent variable so running on the Linux version behaves slightly better. However humorous the newlines used throughout the application are already OS independent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks nice, gonna test is comming week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fluxmeister wrote:
Wow that's awesome! I'm glad (and surprised :whistle:) it was able to work for you in Mono+Linux. I'll do a pass on "\" usage and switch it to be the OS independent variable so running on the Linux version behaves slightly better. However humorous the newlines used throughout the application are already OS independent...

New unofficial version (lightly tested)in the first topic post that should be ever so slightly nicer about the path separator throughout the application. (0.98.0.4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for this, I can see it being very helpful!

I've had a quick play around and I think I can work the basics now, but I'm not getting some things.

Can I change the canvas size? I can see how to change different elements.

Are the sizes in pixels or mm or what? I assume pixels, but is there a way to set my sizes in mm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
Can I change the canvas size? I can see how to change different elements.
You can adjust the size of the layout in the Layout Control window (width/height). This is configurable on a per layout basis so you can have numerous types of layouts in your project.

silverleaf79 wrote:
Are the sizes in pixels or mm or what? I assume pixels, but is there a way to set my sizes in mm?
The sizes are in pixels. You will want to adjust accordingly to the measurement system you are targeting (if the goal is printing).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you, that's very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Card Maker 0.98.0.5
New version up (0.98.0.5) with the first pass at supporting undo/redo! Break out the control+z (and control+y) when mishaps come up. ... even I've been waiting a long time for this to actually be implemented! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've noticed a bug in 0.98.0.3. I haven't had a chance to check whether it still exists in .0.5 yet, but I wanted to post it before I forget. If you have an image that's sized the same as a card element (my file had a 10x15 heart in a 10x15 graphics element), and you rotate it 180 degrees parts of the image get cut off. (The non-rotated hearts look fine.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MagiMaster wrote:
I've noticed a bug in 0.98.0.3. I haven't had a chance to check whether it still exists in .0.5 yet, but I wanted to post it before I forget. If you have an image that's sized the same as a card element (my file had a 10x15 heart in a 10x15 graphics element), and you rotate it 180 degrees parts of the image get cut off. (The non-rotated hearts look fine.)

Thanks for bringing up the issue! I was able to reproduce it in 0.98.0.5. too. The rotation transform and drawing might be doing something weird in .NET OR it's my fault. whistle

Here's what you are likely seeing (way zoomed in):

(original image on the left, a 10 x 15 image like you indicated)
On the right you can see that the rotation has resulted in not drawing the bottom row and far right column of the image.

I also tried the same with a 100 x 150 image and hit the same issue. I'll check into it. For now I'd avoid any images that use the edge pixels if you need 180 rotation.

Update: Apparently there is an issue with rotation with .NET drawing (at 180 degrees). Try -180 for the rotation value. It worked for my 10 x 15 image but not the 100 x 150 (weird).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
-180 seems to work for my 78x117 images, or at least I can see the image move when I change between -180 and 180.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card Maker 0.98.0.6 (Updated 2/3/2013)
I have no background at all in anything remotely artistic, but I have been very pleased with how easy this tool is to use.

However, there is one thing I have not been able to figure out. Is there a way within a single layout to change the color of an element based on a value from the data source? I am trying to make a very basic set of cards for Foppen, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the red cards have red borders, the blue cards have blue borders, etc.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Logoth wrote:
However, there is one thing I have not been able to figure out. Is there a way within a single layout to change the color of an element based on a value from the data source? I am trying to make a very basic set of cards for Foppen, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the red cards have red borders, the blue cards have blue borders, etc.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

You'll want to look into using the override system to control the bordercolor and elementcolor on a per element basis.

You'll want to add columns named as follows (assuming the element you want to control is named x):
override:x:bordercolor
override:x:elementcolor

The key point is that this will completely override those two color settings completely for the given entries in the sheet. (unspecified/empty values in this column will just default to whatever you configured on the element)

Upon further review I realize I really should support hex values for colors in addition to numeric values (0-255). I'll add support for that in a future version (but keep backwards compatibility with numeric just in case).

I hope that helps a bit and I'm always happy to read that someone is having a decent time with the app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll give this a try tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reporting back:

I didn't get to try this until last night. I struggled with it for a while, until I decided to actually READ the instructions as written, instead of inserting words that weren't there.

It worked like a charm. Going to kick off the other projects now.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
Picked this up yesterday and I am finding it very useful indeed.

A surprising side effect has been that I've realised some of my cards are doing inappropriate things within the game, which I found out from using override colour formatting, and noticing that some cards were using the same colour twice, which doesn't make sense in the game.

Great app.

I'd like to offer one suggestion (or ask how I can do this if it's already in) - it would be useful to be able to refresh the reference csv file. At the moment to force a refresh I find myself removing the reference and then adding it back in. And now I've discovered the F9 button...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
Finding this app really useful. Thanks for posting it up.

I'm looking to publish some files for print'n'play. Is there a smaller format than .xps that I can use for exporting printable files? Ideally .pdf. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can setup a pdf printer, which prints to a file instead. I use PDFCreator. I found CardMaker doesn't always do a good job centring the cards, which is especially useful for double sided printing. Instead I export the cards as images and have them linked in .svg files, which I open in Inkscape and save out as pdfs and then combine with Acrobat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Card Maker 0.98.0.8 (Updated 6/23/2013)
Just uploaded a new version (0.98.0.8) with some tools to help with the creation of the Definition field in elements (described in the main post topic). Enjoy! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Card Maker 0.98.0.9 (Updated 7/11/2013)
Just uploaded a new version that includes a Mono specific executable. I am testing within Ubuntu 12.04 TLS and it seems to be mostly functional. I put in some mono specific tweaks so you'll definitely want to run that version if you try it in Linux or on a Mac. ... as for installing Mono itself you'll have to rely on Google. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mb
Fluxmeister wrote:
Just uploaded a new version that includes a Mono specific executable. I am testing within Ubuntu 12.04 TLS and it seems to be mostly functional. I put in some mono specific tweaks so you'll definitely want to run that version if you try it in Linux or on a Mac. ... as for installing Mono itself you'll have to rely on Google. whistle

Just tried v0.98.0.9 on Mono JIT 2.10.12 on OS/X 10.7.5. Opened the sample project, only got a few errors:

lappy-i7:CardMaker_0.98.0.9 clint$ mono --debug CardMaker_Mono.exe
Jul 12 03:33:45 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:33:45 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Jul 12 03:33:45 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:33:45 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:33:45 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:33:50 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
Jul 12 03:34:13 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
Jul 12 03:35:14 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:35:14 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:35:14 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jul 12 03:35:14 lappy-i7.local mono[18610] : kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window

I updated the preview window, and nothing really happened. Not sure if I was supposed to see graphics or not from the sample project, but I didn't see anything change other than the sample .csv was named in one of the windows.

I played around a bit more, and eventually tried to export the project as images. I chose PNG as the format, and the CardMaker directory as the output. This is the resulting crash:

Pastebin Link

Thanks so much for making a Mono version! I look forward to seeing this progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:

I played around a bit more, and eventually tried to export the project as images. I chose PNG as the format, and the CardMaker directory as the output. This is the resulting crash:

Pastebin Link

Thanks so much for making a Mono version! I look forward to seeing this progress!

Thanks for the detailed information! I'm still trying to figure out what all packages I ended up installing to have the app functional. I was actually able to export the images from the project.

Have you already installed all things mono? (I actually installed some other set initially... I was missing the forms 2.x package...)

sudo apt-get install mono-complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.