Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card makes all of your minions microbots, and further then gives all of your microbots strength bonuses, is the effect only local to the base those cards are located or are those effects global?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text doesn't indicate 'microbots at this base', so it would be global.

Other cards do have the extra text indicating the effects are limited to the local base, but the microbots' bonus do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's a game-changer for microbots. They seemed awesome on their own and now they might be my favorite faction. I'm not implying a lack of balance or anything by that, it's just interesting to play around with their global stat manipulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this one:
Microbot Alpha is in play (All of your minions are considered Microbots). On your turn you play Microbot Reclaimer, which states "Shuffle any number of Microbots from your discard pile into your deck."

Does the Alpha's effect apply to minions in your discard pile as well? If so, you should be able to recycle any minions you want, including those of your second faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that sounds correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WJBode wrote:
How about this one:
Microbot Alpha is in play (All of your minions are considered Microbots). On your turn you play Microbot Reclaimer, which states "Shuffle any number of Microbots from your discard pile into your deck."

Does the Alpha's effect apply to minions in your discard pile as well? If so, you should be able to recycle any minions you want, including those of your second faction.

I had this exact question--it sounds correct to me, too, but not my wife! So I need some sort of official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation has been no. Global effects do not alter cards outside of play, so cards in your hand, deck and discard pile are not Microbots unless printed that way. Once those cards enter play, then they would become Microbots and gain the appropriate bonuses (well in time to be considered for breaking the base). Likewise you could continue to play (Power 2) minions on The Homeworld because, until played, they're still (Power 2).

If someone official wants to contradict this, by all means. This question came up several times while demoing the game at GenCon, though, and might want clarification in the rulebook.

Dave, you'll find that each of the factions has some aspect that makes you go "wow, that's so broken"...but each of the factions has that, so it ends up balancing out. Aliens have the Invader and recursion, Ninjas have the Hidden Ninja, and let's not start on Zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played this, everyone seemed to think the "all of your minions are considered Microbots" text referred to the ongoing effect on this particular minion (i.e. The Microbot Alpha could consider all other minions Microbots for the purpose of its own +1 power ability).

If I'm reading this thread correctly, you're saying this minion turns all of my other minions into Microbots (Zapbot, Warbot, even other non-robot faction minions)?

...Then, with Microbot Alpha in play, if I play Microbot Fixer (Ongoing: Each of your Microbots gains +1 power) all of my minions not normally considered Microbots are awarded this bonus (because of Alpha)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Microbot Alpha treats your dinosaurs or wizards or whatever as microbots so they are affected my the Fixer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
Mundane wrote:
Yes. Microbot Alpha treats your dinosaurs or wizards or whatever as microbots so they are affected my the Fixer.

Are they microbots in addition to whatever their printed text is, or instead of their printed text? E.g. is a War Raptor still a War Raptor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aex Destroy

Texas
msg tools
I really want to challenge this idea, and it would be really nice to get a dev's opinion about this in particular. Ive been playing this game for a hot minute now, and we've been playing this way that the Alpha applies the consideration so that other cards effect them. It has become rather apparent to me that this is simply not correct.

"Gains +1 for each other microbot. All of your minions are CONSIDERED microbots."

It does not say "All of your minions ARE NOW microbots" which I feel is truly the difference.

Considering something a microbot when reading one card, does not apply that consideration when you're reading a different card.

Thats my opinion.

*** And I say this, because we literally have not played a game with Zombie Robots where they lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but think about the fact that if it only treated other minions as microbots for the sake of it's own +1 the text would be equivalent to saying "Gains +1 for each of your other minions." There would be no point to saying that they are all "considered microbots."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timgoddard wrote:
WJBode wrote:
How about this one:

I had this exact question--it sounds correct to me, too, but not my wife! So I need some sort of official clarification.

I'm not sure that you could consider any other minions as Microbots that aren't in play at bases. If you could consider all your minions in your discard pile as Microbots, then the Microbot Alpha would gain +1 power for each of those too, as well as any minion in your hand. So you could all of a sudden play the Microbot Alpha and have 12 Minions in your discard pile and another 5 in your hand as well as 4 others in play on bases. So if they are "all" considered Microbots, the Alpha would be worth 21 power when considering all the other ones. That's not how I would interpret the power. I would say that only the other minions in play on bases are considered Microbots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion, still love to get a developer's answer to the outstanding questions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aex Destroy

Texas
msg tools
gciscell wrote:
Great discussion, still love to get a developer's answer to the outstanding questions...

This. It just seems so outlandishly powerful compared to any other combination of effects we've been able to muster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
The discard pile and hand are not in play, and Microbot Alpha doesn't affect them to give them the trait, so they wouldn't be considered microbots.

My wife loves the bots, and especially with ninja. She's done them with Zombies but still prefers the ninja. Microbot/Zombie are far from unbeatable though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho DC
msg tools
Are transformer Minions just microbots or are both, microbots and their original faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
I always thought that the +1 Strength per microbot would be calculated before declaring that from now on all minions are considered microbots. Obviously that's false.

I do not understand why it wasn't just "+1 Strength per minion in play" or at least with the parts switched ("All minions in play are considered microbots. +1 for each of your microbots in play."). The way it is, i'll definitely get into an argument next time i play the Alpha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
FailureFactory wrote:
I always thought that the +1 Strength per microbot would be calculated before declaring that from now on all minions are considered microbots. Obviously that's false.

I do not understand why it wasn't just "+1 Strength per minion in play" or at least with the parts switched ("All minions in play are considered microbots. +1 for each of your microbots in play."). The way it is, i'll definitely get into an argument next time i play the Alpha...

I had the very same question. It seems confusing to be written this way. I can see why turning all minions into Microbots would cause other items actions to have an effect, but the part about +1 power for each other Microbot is confusing when all my other minions are effectively now Microbots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the ability is ongoing, even if you just added power for all current microbots, and then turned your other minions into microbots, you would re check right away for the adding power. Ongoing abilities are active as long as they are around, as per the rule book. So to save a step, just do the power all at once.

As to why it does not say minions instead of microbots, take a look at microbot fixer and microbot archive. Both these cards abilities just cover microbots, but when microbot alpha is in play they cover all your minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.