Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The gain 3 action Energize card is very strong, stronger than discovery tokens that give two energize cards.

I can't help but wonder if it was intended to work that someone could draw 3 energize cards, with a high chance of getting another gain 3 action card, playing that, and so on. A simple tweak would be to not allow any of the three extra actions from the "Player gains 3 actions" to be used on Energize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
ralpher wrote:
The gain 3 action Energize card is very strong, stronger than discovery tokens that give two energize cards.

I can't help but wonder if it was intended to work that someone could draw 3 energize cards, with a high chance of getting another gain 3 action card, playing that, and so on.

Are you aware that the Energize deck is not reshuffled. Once a card is used, it is out of the game.

I personally think those cards are best used when you need to do a string of actions to reach a goal / complete a task. While drawing cards in the right situation can be a good idea, they are much more flexible than that. It also means that you use a card to draw the cards so it can be considered to be "only" +2 cards.

The Rebel Item gives you 2 cards without the need to discard one and the Artifact gives +2 Actions with the need to discard an Energizer Card. Plus the Discovery Tokens give good bonuses (+2) when attempting to complete certain Challenges. Better still, Discovery Tokens can be exchanged between players, something you can't do with Energize Cards. Which is better? Personal choice really but given this I'm not sure Command Authority is better that a Rebel Item or Artifact overall.

As one of the playtesters I can say that Command Authority was certainly meant to work that way. It wasn't an oversight that such cards could be chained together. What was an oversight was that the printed rules didn't make it clear that the Energize Cards are not reshuffled, they are all one shot use.
ralpher wrote:
A simple tweak would be to not allow any of the three extra actions from the "Player gains 3 actions" to be used on Energize.

"be used on Energize"? Did you mean "be used on the Enterprise"? or did you mean "be used on drawing further Energize Cards"

Either way, try it. It's your game so if you prefer that tweak then use it I don't think it makes much difference, it just cuts down on the choices you would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
ralpher wrote:

I can't help but wonder if it was intended to work that someone could draw 3 energize cards, with a high chance of getting another gain 3 action card, playing that, and so on.

Are you aware that the Energize deck is not reshuffled. Once a card is used, it is out of the game.

I am aware, but I think the game appears almost solved if you constantly let players draw three energize cards, get another three actions, and they keep drawing. Let them use those actions for all the other things they can do with actions instead of drawing more energize cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.