Subject: Desperados in first round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if desperados turn up during the first round of the game?

Are they handled as normal (remove one campesino on the first three hexes) or are they ignored?

I am asking because the first round is special in that way that players may only chase off campesinos of players who already got their turn (as otherwise the initial placement round would be void for players later in turn order). If desperados in the first round would now be treated as normal, that again could completely destroy a player's initial placement if it wasn't his turn yet.

Or should we adopt the rule that only previous players may be chased away and ignore hexes with campesinos of players who are still waiting for their first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed the next-to-last bullet on page two of the rules (Special Setup Rounds): "Whenever a Desperado card is drawn during setup, replace it with another card from the deck and shuffle the desperado card back into the deck." You cannot have desperados during the first round of the game.

I hope that helps!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
What happens if desperados turn up during the first round of the game?

Are they handled as normal (remove one campesino on the first three hexes) or are they ignored?...

Mayfair's answer may not be the best answer per the rules I have(Mayfair English Rules). First of all the word 'round' is specific to the special setup round. During this round there are no desperado attacks.

After that each player takes a 'turn'. On the first turn it is possible to draw the desperado after the harvest on the first turn. Though each players campesinos are protected from being 'chased off' until that player has had a first turn, there is no implied protection from the desperado. I have always played that the desperado strikes normally on each players first turn.

EDIT: I was wrong, go with Mayfair's answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Alex, must have missed that. That happens when you try to quickly scan the rules for a refresher

@drmark64: I couldn't check what my German rulebook says yet, but I think Alex' quote makes it quite clear (for me). If Desperados are resolved during the first round, it would really make the chase-off-protection void for players who still wait for their turn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mark: I grant you that I was unclear about the "special setup round" versus the regular first turn. My assumption in the situation is on page 3, "Special Rule for the First Turn": "During the first round of play, all players skip [the Harvest lands] part of their turn." So, to be crystal clear: you replace any desperadoes that come out during the setup round, and you do not harvest on each player's first turn. So, back to the original point: no desperadoes on the first round of the game (setup rounds or regular first round)

I hope that's more clear!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I was wrong. I missed the rule about no harvest on the first turn. Thanks for clarifying that and sorry about muddying things.

Nutshell. Mayfair is right, I am wrong. So go with their answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.