Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: MUNCHKIN GROUP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam zhang
msg tools
Hey guys... and gals.. I noticed that there seems to be a huge wave of people against munchkin on this site.. and if you hate munchkin fine I have nothing against you. But here I am looking to start some sort of munchkin group here in auckland... We'd meet once every week on a certain set night.. I'd supply the venue (its on the shore but thats open to discussion at this point)... which may or may not cost but if it costs I will let everyone know. Pretty much tables will be set up... People bring their munchkin stuff.. and we'd have several games going(it does say 3-6 on the box)..... If people are interested and enough people show up for this to keep going long enough we might consider the possiblity of making it into a actual big club and possibly do more.. Contact me if interested or just reply to this post.

godblessus21 at gmail dot com

Thanks

Hope to actually get this going and meet some other munchkin fanatics!!!!

Note: If you are Christian, thats even more awesome!!! But if you are not, all good! Feel free to still join us!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beaven
New Zealand
Havelock North
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam! Glad you've found a game that excites you without worrying about what some others think of it. Some people get so irate about with what others think of a game ("What, Tom rates Duel of Ages a 10?!"**).

Have you looked to see if there's a board gaming group in your area already?
Maybe rather than starting a new initiative, you could join in with a gaming group and find some munchkin-ites among them.

** Hypothetical argument, I love that game too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam zhang
msg tools
Yes Chris.. I've checked... and they are a bit far away for my liking... and I was planning to make this munchkin thing more regular than once every 2 or 3 weeks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Howell
New Zealand
Manukau
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would be unlikely to get enough people willing to play essentially the same game every week, it does get a bit repetitive sometimes. Now that said if you set it up I would try to make it sometimes as I have a LOT of munchkin and usually have the new sets as quick a I can so I can demo them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to back up what Chris wrote on the basis that of the dozen people I know reasonably well who play games only two of them are users of BGG. One of them's me and the other one isn't likely to see this thread. Neither of us like Munchkin that much that we play it every week in our own homes let alone travel somewhere to play it--God forbid we would actually pay for the privilege of doing so. So maybe you'll be lucky and find some people via BGG but with what I think is a hugely limited audience on BGG going to a club to meet some people seems a very good idea. Remember, those people are also travelling and might not want to travel so far too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit stunned. if we're talking Steve Jackson games I could almost understand playing Illuminati each week. More broadly a game of Agricola or perhaps Race for the Galaxy every week might make sense.

Munchkin is funny the first few times but the jokes wear thin.

Good luck with a weekly Munchkin group but given there are over 50,000 games listed here perhaps you might want to test a few more out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam zhang
msg tools
haha fair enough to everyone that dont support munchkin. and yes I realise this site is very anti munchkin.. and thats fine. I do realise Im going to have trouble with finding people here for munchkin, yes. and yes I do intend on joining board game clubs.

The problem there is my transport issue, i have no car. a lot of you do. and also not knowing if there are gonna be people there that share my taste in games... if i go there... and then seeing the people there only play a bunch of games which i would never even think about playing... then chances are im not going to enjoy it... and asking here about munchkin people is kind of also testing the waters a bit to see how popular munchkin is actually here in auckland... and if people dont want to play it.. and i bring it to a event... its just a waste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam zhang
msg tools
haha fair enough to everyone that dont support munchkin. and yes I realise this site is very anti munchkin.. and thats fine. I do realise Im going to have trouble with finding people here for munchkin, yes. and yes I do intend on joining board game clubs.

The problem there is my transport issue, i have no car. a lot of you do. and also not knowing if there are gonna be people there that share my taste in games... if i go there... and then seeing the people there only play a bunch of games which i would never even think about playing... then chances are im not going to enjoy it... and asking here about munchkin people is kind of also testing the waters a bit to see how popular munchkin is actually here in auckland... and if people dont want to play it.. and i bring it to a event... its just a waste...

I understand peoples frustration with munchkin... but please... i didnt post this for people to come here adn say munchkin sucks, jokes wear thin luck based etc etc... if i wanted that I'd post in game discussions and ask people why they hate the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam zhang
msg tools
Question... does Tom Vasel own this site? Is this why this site is so anti munchkin? I mean the guy sounds like he hasnt even played one proper game of munchkin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone are necessarily being anti munchkin, but more anti playing the same game every week.

When I first started playing board games, my first game was Battlestar Galactica. I enjoyed it so much I played it every week for a year before I finally decided to try other games. There is a whole world of awesome games out there and I wished I had tried them sooner. I'm a bit burnt out playing Battlestar Galactica now, its good to spread the love across several games so you don't get sick of them.

With regards to going to the local game groups, I'd recommend taking the plunge. It is well worth the risk and you never know you might end up playing something new that you then must go buy immediatly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
az130 wrote:

You'll never know unless you try. You may go to a local group and have the gaming time of your life. And if you really don't like the first time you go, and you decide never to go again, then you've really only wasted a single evening.

There's a group that meets in Browns Bay every couple of weeks. Why not look into bus routes or contact the group to see if anyone can give you a lift?

You might find other Munchkin fans, and you might find other games that really appeal to you! thumbsup

I'd be happy to send you their details if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buses to Browns Bay are easy. Every 15 minutes from the city centre (Albert Street). 879, 875, 839, 858.
I don't think Munchkin has ever been played at that group but you might find some willing players.

I think there are a lot of Munchkin players at the King of Cards Board game days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
az130 wrote:

I understand peoples frustration with munchkin... but please... i didnt post this for people to come here adn say munchkin sucks, jokes wear thin luck based etc etc... if i wanted that I'd post in game discussions and ask people why they hate the game...

We're accepting you on face value, we're not sure you'll get people here to play munchkin each week. I've pointed out there are other games. Someone has suggested you try the other gaming groups you've said no they're too far away from your North Shore possie, and you don't have a car.

The only person here suggesting Munckin sucks is you (several times). I said the jokes wear thin. You seem to be almost baiting us to start criticising Munchkin.
I'm a little suspicious I have to say. But no matter.

Since you're new you might find the rules http://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules Community Rules
useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to King of Cards in town and talk to Karen, she promotes Munchkin alot. I think they even have Munchkin event days, which is probably what you should attend regularly, make friends and then broach your idea. May not happen over night like you wish, but like cheese laugh all good things take time.

I do own Star Munchkin, have helped run the Conclave SF&F Convention in 2006 that brought Steve Jackson here, and I think its a fun game with the right people. I prefer to play it one or twice a year so as the humour stays fresh.

Since you enjoy Munchkin I would strongly recommend Red Dragon Inn, Montey Python Fluxx (or any of the other Fluxx series) and Trailer Park Wars(though you would have to import this).

BTW I don't see anti-munchkin sentiment, only 'it's not my thing due to X but heres my advice on how to find what you are looking for' responses. Maybe the 'due to X' responses weren't asked for but it's human nature give additional information in conversations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
Karen also runs Battlecry, an annual gaming event that has a Munchkin tournament.

http://www.battlecry.co.nz/events/boardgaming/munchkin-tourn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Howell
New Zealand
Manukau
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who like munchkin and will play it, its just not something that they like to play every week. There are a lot of really good games out there (munchkin included) and I would highly recommend trying to get along to some of the local gaming clubs and let them know that you would like to sometimes play munchkin and they will try to accommodate you and you will find new games to enjoy that other people recommend as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, people here in the Midwest U.S. play Euchre like it's religion. We played every day at lunch in high school for four years. I've played more Magic than I can count, and I can only count my thousands of online Dominion games because they're tracked.

Why not Munchkin?

I don't like the game, but props to you for liking what you like. Hope you get your Munchkin nights going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use Facebook?
Look for the KoC Boardgamers (that's the King of Cards Board game forum)
Post there and I'm sure you'll get a ton of willing Munchkin fans.

Also I've just remembered that there is a person on the NorthShore game groups Facebook page who is a MiB for Steve Jackson Games so would be keen on Munchkin related things.

Where on the Shore are you, if buses are an issue I'm sure people would be willing to carpool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, its actually Steve Jackson who owns the site, cause the truth is even he hates Munchkin

Just kidding, I'm sure its a good game...I've never played it, mostly just whenever I'm somewhere Munchkin is, there are also dozens of other games I've heard more good things about...

az130 wrote:
Question... does Tom Vasel own this site? Is this why this site is so anti munchkin? I mean the guy sounds like he hasnt even played one proper game of munchkin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az130 wrote:

Because we all need a change from being anti-Monopoly, anti-Chess, anti-Scrabble, anti-Risk, ...

Edit: I imagine Tom Vasel has played quite a few games of Munchkin in his time. He's played a heck of a lot of games, and a heck of a lot of them were bad too. On the other hand, there's plenty of people here who disagree with Tom on many many things, he's just one of the many florid characters in these parts. He may "own" thedicetower.com, but not BGG.

Edit2: Here's a nice review for you from an awesome reviwer:
http://drakesflames.blogspot.co.nz/2008/11/card-game-review-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Because we all need a change from being anti-Monopoly, anti-Chess, anti-Scrabble, anti-Risk, ...

don't forget anti-dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got munchkin, and I bring it out now and then for the weekly New Lynn Library Games Night. (I've just brought 3 and still waiting for fishpond to send me 2)

You're welcome to pop in when ever you can make it and take a group for munchkin, no one here hates it afaik.

I've not seen a lot of anti-munchkin anywhere, I guess I don't browse the forums that much tho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 MIB Steve Jackson Games demo people based in Auckland so there is a reasonable amount of Munchkin happening here. King of Cards has it on offer every month at their Games Days... which is on the 3rd Sunday of the month... which happens to be this month you should totally come along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
vIQleS wrote:

I've not seen a lot of anti-munchkin anywhere, I guess I don't browse the forums that much tho...

If you'd ever like to see some, I provide it at a moment's notice, free of charge.

Also... there are people that are Anti-Chess and Anti-Scrabble? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.