Subject: iOS version made me buy the physical copy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to show that digital games increase sales of physical games.

I had dismissed this game a few years ago based on the art (still not a big fan of it) and a feeling it wouldn't work well as a 2player.

I bought the iOS version and really like it. Still I really do enjoy physical games better then pass n play or online with people in same room so of course I want a physical copy!!!

Tomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
I just wanted to show that digital games increase sales of physical games.

I had dismissed this game a few years ago based on the art (still not a big fan of it) and a feeling it wouldn't work well as a 2player.

I bought the iOS version and really like it. Still I really do enjoy physical games better then pass n play or online with people in same room so of course I want a physical copy!!!

Tomas

I think this is why so many publishers are putting their games on iOS and android. They know the gaming hobby's fishing net will increase, not decrease.

You don't like the San Juan artwork? Geez! I think it caps the elegance of the entire game. I love it much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, my family plays Ticket to Ride on my Ipad. I do not have the physical copy since I already have the electronic version. Well, just this past weekend me and my 8 year old son joined a mini-tourney of the actual boardgame with both the US and Europe games, and this was the frst time we both played with actual trains in our hands, and boy we both agreed that it is a much better experience than the Ipad version!

Anyway, I'm still not sure I will get the physical copy, but at least it is now a possibility....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
On a related note, my family plays Ticket to Ride on my Ipad. I do not have the physical copy since I already have the electronic version. Well, just this past weekend me and my 8 year old son joined a mini-tourney of the actual boardgame with both the US and Europe games, and this was the frst time we both played with actual trains in our hands, and boy we both agreed that it is a much better experience than the Ipad version!

Anyway, I'm still not sure I will get the physical copy, but at least it is now a possibility....

If you can get a good price, I'd buy the boardgame. I love handling the cards and trains, too. The real world is always better than a virtual world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, San Juan was one of those opposite cases... playing the boxed version, even with the 2 expansion modules, made me realize that I should NOT bother with the iOS version. Achievements sound delightful and people say overall it's well done, but given there's not much to the game, they're really not enough. And I only got Condado for Android b/c it was free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
To me, San Juan was one of those opposite cases... playing the boxed version, even with the 2 expansion modules, made me realize that I should NOT bother with the iOS version. Achievements sound delightful and people say overall it's well done, but given there's not much to the game, they're really not enough. And I only got Condado for Android b/c it was free.

I agree here. San Juan is portable enough as it is. Now if the game was a big box set, that's a different story....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing Im trying to get at is that the iOS/android apps bring something to the market that hasnt really been there before, beeing able to "demo" the game.

For computer games there have "always" been trial/demos that you can try. Board games are much harder to trial/demo. You can try it at a friends place or at a game show. But thats not the same thing.

Now you can actually try that game out for a buck or few. I think this is awsome for the customer.

Sure some games will loose sales due to it but thas because they suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
The main thing Im trying to get at is that the iOS/android apps bring something to the market that hasnt really been there before, beeing able to "demo" the game.

For computer games there have "always" been trial/demos that you can try. Board games are much harder to trial/demo. You can try it at a friends place or at a game show. But thats not the same thing.

Now you can actually try that game out for a buck or few. I think this is awsome for the customer.

Sure some games will loose sales due to it but thas because they suck.

I agree completely.

I remember about a year ago, there was a thread here on BGG wondering what an increasing number of board games ported to ios and android would do to our hobby.

Some people were completely against it under the assumption that they would destroy our burgeoning hobby. Others stated that it would actually help our hobby.

I'm in their camp. The reason people love board games is for the social interaction. The reason board gaming has been on the rise is because more than a generation of people have known the computer screen as their only gaming friend and they're sick of it.

Also, as we've witnessed more board games ported over, we've noticed that the developers only give the most vanilla elements of any particular game. Few games ported over have been full versions.

They're more "samples" as TexMurphy stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.