Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately after combat, I was allowing my subs to use Transit Movement if they had to RTB back to port. Instead, I'm supposed to wait until the following turn, correct? In other words, during the Operations Segment, after a sub is moved from Done to Operating, it can either do Patrol Movement and Search for Contact or do Transit Movement. If it wants to do Transit Movement, it couldn't have done Patrol Movement or Search for Contact, correct?

Even though I allowed subs to Search for Contact and then RTB during the same turn, I only sunk 32 tons. I did seem to roll bad, but allowing my subs to RTB a turn early would offset this easily.

I tried to use the Gilbert Islands during WP2 so I could roll green more often, allowing less rising sun chits to interfere with my attacks. If only 1 rising sun flag was drawn, I'd attack twice, hoping the rising sun wasn't a destroyer which would negate my second attack with such poor subs. If there were 2 rising suns to turn over for my 2nd attack, I'd leave instead of making a 2nd attack.

I usually stayed in column A as well. Again, because rising sun chits interferred less with my attacks.

Would I be better off in column D, when possible, i.e. sinking less ships, but sinking bigger ships?

Thanks for any strategic help and have a great day!
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Vassal to play and I just tried rolling the dice a couple hundred times. 0 came up about 15 times and 9 came up about 25 times. This would make a bid difference when playing this scenario since you usually have to roll 0 or 1 a lot a times. I'm wondering if Vassal dice are correct.

Any comments?
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klatall wrote:
Immediately after combat, I was allowing my subs to use Transit Movement if they had to RTB back to port. Instead, I'm supposed to wait until the following turn, correct?

After changes made in the rules in 2009: yes, you're correct.
klatall wrote:
In other words, during the Operations Segment, after a sub is moved from Done to Operating, it can either do Patrol Movement and Search for Contact or do Transit Movement. If it wants to do Transit Movement, it couldn't have done Patrol Movement or Search for Contact, correct?

Yes, you're right. You can also decide to RTB - look to Silent War Update - 09/22/09:
Quote:
[13.1] Activity Determination Step: After the existing text, insert the following:
The player may also decide in this step to voluntarily RTB the submarine. If so, place an RTB
marker on the submarine, skip directly to the Transit Movement Phase [15.0] and move the
submarine towards the desired base.
Note: This is the only time a submarine can enter RTB status and conduct RTB transit movement
in the same turn. If a submarine enters RTB status for reasons of combat, event, or endurance, it
is placed in the DONE section of the OpArea.

klatall wrote:
Would I be better off in column D, when possible, i.e. sinking less ships, but sinking bigger ships?

There is no simple answer to this. You must make up a balance between number of ships you sink and their tonnage. Both factors are important during torpedo improvement attempts.
klatall wrote:
I'm wondering if Vassal dice are correct.

Any comments?

Only one advice: always use real dice, even using Vassal. This is more safe and nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Subron Campaign was designed pre-2009, I played it correctly and scored the 32 tons which is about right. I tried playing it with post 2009 rules and didn't come close. I'm guessing it was pre-2009.

Thanks very much for not only clearing up the rules, but the time frame explains a lot!

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to ask the obvious question. Does the 90 tons for Feb, etc., still count? It's much harder to score when you don't Transit right away, but it seems like it's a reasonable number to hit even using post 2009 rules.

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klatall wrote:
Does the 90 tons for Feb, etc., still count?

Yes, career longevity rule didin't change. I think minimum performance chart just comprise historical results of US subs.

klatall wrote:
It's much harder to score when you don't Transit right away

Well, I played both ways and - to my surprise - I didn't remark huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.