Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a situation I need help (preferably with a citation to the rules in it) to resolve a disagreement.

I have one country with 3 armies, A and B supporting C's move into a province. The other country has a unit X in that province and is attempting to move into the province of A WITH SUPPORT from another unit Y.

What happens:

1) C moves into X's province, X is forced to retreat, OR
2) C moves into X's province, X moves into A's province, A is forced to retreat.

Which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 2 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically:

C is moving to X with 2 support from A and B.

X is moving to A with support from Y.

X has strength 2 because of support from Y. No one is supporting A holding, so A is dislodged. What B and C are doing doesn't matter.

X is empty, so C moves in, not actually needing any of his support. But he does move in with strength 2, from B. A's support was cut because he was dislodged ("Support is cut if the supporting unit is dislodged").

If A had been supported by unit D, X would not have moved to A and would not have cut support from A ("Support is cut if the unit giving support is attacked from any province except the one where support is being given"). C would have dislodged X with a strength of 3.

Does that answer your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt is correct: option 2 is the correct resolution. It is often easiest to determine the resolution of these conflicts by working them out one by one.

C's move workss because it has the support to make it work. X's moves succeeds for the same reason. A is left over (so-to-speak) and must be moved. Here is a citation from the rules to further assist: "A unit which otherwise would have remained in the space attacked by a better supported unit is dislodged and must retreat or be disbanded."

So, if there's a place for A to go, then it retreats. If not, then it is disbanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
I have a situation I need help (preferably with a citation to the rules in it) to resolve a disagreement.

I have one country with 3 armies, A and B supporting C's move into a province. The other country has a unit X in that province and is attempting to move into the province of A WITH SUPPORT from another unit Y.

What happens:

1) C moves into X's province, X is forced to retreat, OR
2) C moves into X's province, X moves into A's province, A is forced to retreat.

Which is it?

It'd be clearer if you wrote the actual move as it appeared in the game. Something like:
Germany:
A Munich-Burgundy
A Ruhr S Munich-Burgundy
A Belgium S Munich-Burgundy

France:
A Burgundy - Belgium
F Picardy S Burgundy-Belgium

I am not sure which province "X" is, but I think I got it right.

In my example, France's A Belgium is dislodged (1 support for A Burgundy-Belgium vs. 0 for German army holding in Belgium) and German A Munich-Burgundy also succeeds (Actually without opposition--since the French army moved away at the same time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.