Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is looking to get into war games. I'd like to start with something a little bit meatier than Memoir '44. He's interested in the ACW, we both own this game, it's been a long time on my "want to finally get it to the table" list. The only question is, how would it be as a starter game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

by all means, YES.
The "introductory" quality mainly derives from the Order of Battle. At start of the game only few units are present on or enter the battlefield. Turn by turn, more and more units will appear. This makes the game a good learning platform.

Additionally, the "block" games are not aiming at details (regiment, battalion level, single guns, etc.). GBoC uses the brigade level.

The complexity of the game is given by playing it, i.e. decision making, transferring your operational/tactical ideas into action.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.