Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Erik and Don are joined by Cyrus the Father Geek to talk about sports games.

In the review-a-palooza, Erik and Hope review:

Magical Athlete
Kingdom Builder
Scotland Yard

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
On Board Games Guild at Board Game Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah!

Thanks again for letting me play a small part in your big awesomeness.

That came out wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this, I think that some sports definately lend themselves to being converted more than others. I think racing has a huge number of ways of being implemented. Grid Iron is quite good because it has distinct plays that break up the game, AFL (aussie footy) would be incredibly difficult to simulate because it is so chaotic and flowing.

I agree that formula d is a standout of the genre. I will give points to The World Cup Card Game 2010 as it has an interesting tournement structure where you need to spread your resources over multiple games and even multiple teams, not that that makes a whole heep of sense.

For oddball i'll pick Test Match a light dexterity cricket game with pieces that need to be seen to be understood.not sure I actually enjoyed playing this one, but the pieces were very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For race games there are two which are worth considering TurfMaster and the more family oriented Snow Tails

I collect Football (Soccer for US readers) games and would rate Shoot and Total Attack!! Soccer as two good examples of the genre but with differing levels of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j phillipson
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a board-game-played-as-sport example:

At my summer camp, in the late 80s, the counselors, looking for an alternative to Capture The Flag, designed a live action version of Stratego. The campers were split into two teams and randomly assigned roles. We tossed out the miners and bombs but one kid for each team was the flag (although he could move) and one was a spy. Everyone else was a number from 1-9. When members of opposite teams tagged each other you both had to reveal your number and then one of you was out. The game ended when one team's flag was found and tagged.

Downsides (vs. Capture the Flag):

Once you were out your sole role was to make sure everyone on your team knew the number of your opponent who eliminated you. Not great if the game dragged on. No jailbreaks allowed.

It kind of sucked to be a nine or the flag.

Upsides:

There was no home side like in capture the flag. This eliminated all the standing at the line and stalling the game. You weren't safe anywhere.

New strategies. People tended to cluster in groups of three or four, protecting the spy and the flag. It was hard to get to them ... but it was also obvious who the targets were.

And the best part: bluffing. In one game I was a six or a seven and I ran into a counselor who was already revealed as the two for the other team. I knew there was no way I could outrun him but since he didn't know my number I ran straight for him and he had to take off. The rumor got around that I was the number one and the enemy spy sacrificed himself on me. Very satisfying. It adds a head game that isn't there in Capture the Flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leonard
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus, after listening to your list of "wants" for a sports-themed game, I think you should take another look at Bloodbowl. It ticks off almost all of the boxes you listed. The theme is fantasy, but you can just pretend it's different types of training/emphases and use more "human" pieces for it (they're not elves, they're a very passing-oriented team.)

Just a thought,

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a league might be the best way to play these things, but I am not sure that injuries and the like have to be a part of it. Variable player powers, like using the team cards for Pizza Box Football, or player cards for Strat-O-Matic Baseball, would work well in a league situation.

By the way, if you want some suspense without relying too heavily on die rolls or other random elements, try out the old game Foto-Electric Football. You could even make variable player powers in this game by reducing a player's "play book" by a random play or two. This could be done so that a player's team has the same limited number of plays available every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus, you're a BAD, BAD man....

I'm now designing a surf game, jsut because you mentioned it!!!!

DAMN YOU!!!! DAMN YOU !!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.