$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » General

Subject: Number of turns in a typical game? (needing info for classroom planning) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am teaching an elective this year called Higher Order Thinking Skills: Puzzles and Games at my high school. Tonight I remembered that Diplomacy can be played over an extended period by giving multiple days for students to negotiate with one another outside of class and then submit their turns weekly to me to move on the board.

However I have absolutely no memory of playing the game other than cut-throat negotiating. I might have my school pick me up a couple copies for this classroom project - but I need to do the planning for it.

Does anyone have a general guess/estimate how many turns a typical game takes? I ask because I will need to plan whether they submit turns to me weekly or more often than once a week.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Tomaszewski
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really answer your question because I've only played once, but definitely read MScrivner's session report:

Diplomacy In The Classroom. MASSIVE report with pics, video, & reflection

thumbsup for having such a cool elective at your school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, with 2 "moves" per year (spring and fall) and then the build phase, roughly 9 years for a game..... so 18 moves maybe.

Also, GREAT high school elective! how cool! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I actually wrote a proposal for a language lab review (I am a Spanish teacher) for those students who fail first semester of Spanish one. Instead of sitting and failing second semester they get a schedule change to my language lab second semester and we review, work on note taking, study skills, and basically set them up to actually pass the course the following year.

So when that was approved they needed me to teach a semester class so I invented this one. We had about 75 students sign up so I have three sections!

Either way, the theme next week is "Deceit, Manipulation, and Bluffing" and I intend to teach Are You a Werewolf, Resistance, and Panic Station. This made me think that Diplomacy might be perfect for second semester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
How are you going to deal with the player elimination aspect of Dominion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
How are you going to deal with the player elimination aspect of Dominion?

A lesson learned in consequences?

Actually I will probably use the technique mentioned in that education write-up linked above. The eliminated player is absorbed by the conquering player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen games end by Fall 1907, but usually they last until Fall 1915 or later. The most common way I've played was with a fixed end date and that has usually been Fall 1907, although that tends to change the games focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For classroom purposes it's probably best to have a time limit. The point of your exercise is to teach about negotiation and diplomacy, not to determine a "winner," so this should be fine.

What you may want to consider is some easy mechanic to make the last turn a little unpredictable to avoid any last turn shenanigans that may work against the diplomatic aspects of the game. For example, you could start drawing a card at the end of every year after 1907 with the game ending if you draw a spade (1/4 chance) or black (1/2 chance) card. That way someone who does a "last turn" betrayal can't be sure they won't face consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
For classroom purposes it's probably best to have a time limit. The point of your exercise is to teach about negotiation and diplomacy, not to determine a "winner," so this should be fine.

What you may want to consider is some easy mechanic to make the last turn a little unpredictable to avoid any last turn shenanigans that may work against the diplomatic aspects of the game. For example, you could start drawing a card at the end of every year after 1907 with the game ending if you draw a spade (1/4 chance) or black (1/2 chance) card. That way someone who does a "last turn" betrayal can't be sure they won't face consequences.

I very much like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.