Subject: Mission Red Planet compared to Libertalia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
" Draper? Who knows anything about that guy. No one's ever lifted that rock. He could be Batman for all we know. "
badge
" Speaking of afternoons, the joke goes like this... "
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played either, so I am asking people who have played both: How are Libertalia and Mission Red Planet similar, in terms of mechanics and feel? Which would you recommend and why? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwhy5 Pwhy5
Canada
flag msg tools
I played both and they feel very different.

Libertalia is all about the character cards and how the interact with each other. There are plenty of cards so replayability is not an issue. It is all about out thinking your opponents and play the right character at the right time. Since everyone almost share all the same cards each turn, this is where the interecton comes from.

Mission Red Planet is basically an area control game. You choose roles in order to build up your plan or mess up others plans! The role selection is somewhat the same. The area control aspect of the game is great. If you like the chaos in Cosmic Encounter, you should like the chaos MRP brings to the table.

My favorite is Misson Red Planet. It feels like a more complete game than Libertalia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Mission: Red Planet but it has been on my radar for a long time (difficult to find a copy in NZ).

I bought Libertalia a few months ago and it is a favourite of a number of my gaming groups. It does seem like it is a bit simpler than M:RP, maybe a good one to introduce people to the simultaneous role selection mechanic before throwing them into a slightly more involved game like M:RP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.